Need a road transport from Stone to London

The_GASK

Featured Posts

Hello everyone, 

I was happily solo sailing my 45ft from Manchester to London and I stupidly injured my leg at a lock.

That means I will not be really able to proceed (since I can't bend the knee yet) and I am looking for a crane+lorry+crane combo that will not cost me half the value of the boat.

I had already some contacts with the lorry and crane into the water at London but I was wondering who can provide a crane lift service from Stone and down on the T&M canal (mainline Etruria-Great Haywood). I have people helping me out for a bit but everybody has jobs.

Thanks in advance

GASK

19 minutes ago, The_GASK said:

Hello everyone, 

I was happily solo sailing my 45ft from Manchester to London and I stupidly injured my leg at a lock.

That means I will not be really able to proceed (since I can't bend the knee yet) and I am looking for a crane+lorry+crane combo that will not cost me half the value of the boat.

I had already some contacts with the lorry and crane into the water at London but I was wondering who can provide a crane lift service from Stone and down on the T&M canal (mainline Etruria-Great Haywood). I have people helping me out for a bit but everybody has jobs.

Thanks in advance

GASK

Why not get someone to move it by water? 

53 minutes ago, The_GASK said:

Hello everyone, 

Thanks in advance

GASK

A couple of respected boat transporters

https://bargemovers.com/

http://www.mjtcranes.co.uk/transport/tuckeys/

There are many professional boat movers (By water)out there

Tim

1 hour ago, The_GASK said:

That is another good idea but would it be feasible for such a long journey? I would actually pay someone to tag along with me if there was such a person

Two site members who often help owners move boats for little or no payment except for expenses, food and drink are The Boater and Peter X.

Others that do it professionally and thus charge are Matty40's and Nigel Carton.

May be worth PMing them? 

Edited by cuthound
Clarification
  • Happy 1

1 hour ago, The_GASK said:

Thank you all!

So I found a way to get a hand till Great Haywood, from there I should be able to lift her and get down again at Watford Junction. If not I'll cut her into pieces and ship her by Royal Mail! :D

I bet that effort wont save you more than £10. its still two cranes and a lorry for the day. Get in touch with Matty40

I always say that if you have the time and the boat's in working order, doing a journey yourself is generally cheaper than hiring a professional boat mover or going by road, and a whole lot more fun.

Given the shorter daylight hours available in late October, I suppose Great Haywood to London would take about 10-12 days, depending on what sort of pace you're comfortable with.

I may well be able to help with part or all of the journey. As I understand it, you've got someone to help you to Great Haywood, and you have the time to do the journey to London but need someone with a fully functioning body to come along with you and do the locks? I have the knowledge to single hand a boat, but if you're well enough to at least steer in and out of the locks that helps a lot.

I'm busy until mid October but available after that if you can wait that long. If you're not planning to finish by the end of October your plans might of course be affected by any winter maintenance stoppages.