lights

haza

Featured Posts

in the galley.i have three 8 watt tube lights 12 inch long all three died at the same time ,,and ideas of what to replace them with ..the 8 watt where a bit dull .i know some will say .up the watts ,what white lights are best do you think 

13 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Dedazzled may have the answer.

just looked. They do have the answer. Led tube 300mm in length.

They seem a bit costly, although they have come down in price since I last bought some. Well recommended, though. The LED tubes are a fair bit brighter than the fluorescent tubes (even new ones). When we swapped the tubes in Copperkins for LED ones, we changed a few units from double tube to single.

The LEDs aren't a straight swop : the driver circuitry for the fluorescents has to be removed or bypassed.

Lights? You wouldn't want the lights that I remenber. School dinners, stew.  The sound of a squeeky wheel that needed oiling would announce the grand arrival of ''Lil'' the dinner lady, wearing her white serving bonnet and pinny,  proudly pushing before her the dinnertime trolley laden with  that days offering of fine dining knocked up in the school kitchen. Thursdays were the ''Stew'' days, ''Stew Thursday'' as it became famously known, on which day only about a quarter of the regular diners ever showed up, and only because they were so ravenousely hungry and couldn't help it.   It was the quality, taste and texture of that stew that did it, I faced it twice and then joined the other absentees with sandwiches on those ''Stew Thursdays'' .  Lil would carefully park her trolley at the end of each trestle table.  whilst we waited and watched apprehensivly Lil's professional manipulation of the ice cream tong things from a big aluminium bucket, unloaded two matching dollops of lumpy mashed potato with eyes in onto a plate, and then came the stew, strange lumpy brown slop that smelled like burning rubber was dumped over the mash by Lil weilding a huge ladle . That plateful was passed along the table while Lil loaded another and so on. Then came the eating, but first a close inspection was carried out, dividing and dissecting the gloop by us boys, sloppy rings were discovered, like bits of sliced Squid, mixed up amongst the brown gloop which was supposed to be a meat stew. These strange rings were ''Lights!!!'', bits of chopped up animal intestine and supposedly very nutricious. Some couldn't face it though, ate the mash and left the gloopy stew with ''lights'' in. Some did manage to get it down by ''you know'' shutting off the taste glands and holding the breath. A lot of gasping went on.  Lil was quite saddened that 99% of her tastey stew went uneaten when she returned to collect the left overs.    We said Grace very seriousely and worriedly in subdued whispers  before dining on ''Stew Thursday''.         So that's what ''Lights'' meant for me. What a memory.  We weren't Bedazzled by it and it weren't worth a shilling either.

Edited by bizzard