Connecting a 4" flue to a 5" stove?

jhodgski

Featured Posts

If its dangling with no stove under it, be careful, if it suddenly drops, they don't half drop with a thump, and can damage hearths, floor. Put a pile of cushions or something beneath it. Go easy waggling it and banging, cast iron collars can crack quite easily. Just chip away calmly and easy. You could pour a drop of vinegar down around it, might help.  A good plan also is to stick a long pole down through it so that when it does let go it won't fall over and bust things inside the boat.

Edited by bizzard
  • Greenie 1

Thanks for the replies. What I could do is take the feet off the new stove, trim the flue and then put the stove in place, and then put the feet back on, but I'd really like to get the flue right off as it really needs rubbing down and respraying.

So I'm wondering if it may be a good idea to remove the flue+collar together, then hopefully I'll be able to get a bit more purchase on them once they're on the ground?

Then, if necessary, I could apply heat to the collar before trying to prise it off?

I'll take it easy with the collar, but is it OK to give the flue a few whacks?