Stanley Ferry Marina?

W+T

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Triumphtone said:

We used to moor at Fairies Hill and found it a very friendly community. Stanley Ferry always looked very full when we visited. Plastic Pub is very handy though.

Anth

Hi Anth. thank you.

I like the idea of a pub and food place that close by, dont mind a short cruise to one though whic i canr find near Fairies.

There was a few moorings available at Stanley, trouble is i am wanting the get one in spring`ish time.  

17 minutes ago, W+T said:

Hi Anth. thank you.

I like the idea of a pub and food place that close by, dont mind a short cruise to one though whic i canr find near Fairies.

There was a few moorings available at Stanley, trouble is i am wanting the get one in spring`ish time.  

There did used to be one at Castleford, just down from Fairies Hill. I think it was called The Griffin If it is still there, it was behind the Marine Engineers just down from the flood lock. I'm in the Isle of Lewis at the moment so I'm some distance from my log books! :-)

Anth

46 minutes ago, Triumphtone said:

There did used to be one at Castleford, just down from Fairies Hill. I think it was called The Griffin If it is still there, it was behind the Marine Engineers just down from the flood lock. I'm in the Isle of Lewis at the moment so I'm some distance from my log books! :-)

Anth

Had a quick google map search and cant find anything,Could be looking in the wrong place.

After feed back and more google mapping and look at there website i think i will like Stanley Ferry. Fair mooring fees also. 

A short term 6 month will be fine for now as the boat is a trailer boat we can move on if need be. All depends on how things go.

We moored for the summer at Stanley Ferry in 2014, lovely people there, really helpful and sensible prices. Would really recommend it. As noted above, the pub on the opposite side is very plastic and full of kids, but you can't have everything. Plenty of other good pubs in the area, including (apparently, because we didn't get to it) the only gas lit pub in Yorkshire!

Just had a look on Google Maps Street View. The Griffin is up for sale and the Old Mill seems to be a care home! Don't know what dates the pictures are!

Anth

29 minutes ago, D. W. Walker said:

We moored for the summer at Stanley Ferry in 2014, lovely people there, really helpful and sensible prices. Would really recommend it. As noted above, the pub on the opposite side is very plastic and full of kids, but you can't have everything. Plenty of other good pubs in the area, including (apparently, because we didn't get to it) the only gas lit pub in Yorkshire!

That sounds interesting, do you have any idea of the name. I might have a look for it next time I'm at Stanley Ferry.

Thanks

Anth

Stanley ferry is a great little marina. The cart moorings there are also good with plenty of car parking around and facilities. It is very close to Wakefield and several big towns so plenty of pubs around. The Kings arms is nowt special at all and the plastic pub at Stanley has loads of kids but it is ok. Plenty of cruising spots in the area with moorings near or outside pubs on the river. Castleford is a crap hole but the natives are friendly ( ish ) :)

2 hours ago, D. W. Walker said:

Another gas lit Yorkshire pub:

https://pubheritage.camra.org.uk/pubs/historic-pub-interior-entry.asp?NatPubID=HUL%2FBEV033

Tim

The 'pub' at Stanley Ferry is indeed truly awful, so much so that I usually trek up the hill to the Glaziers on the main Wakefield road. There is a reasonable bus service between Wakefield and Castleford but unfortunately not in the evenings.  Have you tried Kings Road Lock moorings?  There a couple of pubs in Altofts, one quite good.

On the subject of heritage pubs, the Junction in Castleford serves its beers from wooden barrels - he keeps his own supply for the breweries to fill. TBH, I couldn't tell the difference, but it's a real old-fashioned pub.