Deck Collar Sealing

rusty69

Featured Posts

I have spent the afternoon removing the leaking deck collar for the stove from Mr Rusty. I think my neighbour learnt a few new swear words today, but all eventually came off.

The assembly consists of a flat cast iron collar,and a hardwood angled packing piece.

I have in my stock cupboard Envirograf silicone fireproof sealant. Sikaflex adhesive sealant filler, and Geocel Plumber flue silicone.

The original plan was to sikaflex the packing piece to the roof, then the collar to the packing pieceand bolt down.Fill the gap with firerope and Plumber flue at the top, and use the Envirograf at the stove to collar joint ,again with fire rope.

Finally, the question. Would I be better off using some neoprene/foam at the top end for easy future disassembly? Has anyone done this, or is it just mad?

Thanks all

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Silicone the lot? 

No!!

Envirograf between stove and flue. Plumba and rope between flue and roof collar. Plumba between roof collar and wooden packing, and Plumba along edge of roof collar, wooden packing, and roof. The collar is bolted onto the roof and tightening the nuts squashes the sealant after it's gone off a bit.

5 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

No!!

Envirograf between stove and flue. Plumba and rope between flue and roof collar. Plumba between roof collar and wooden packing, and Plumba along edge of roof collar, wooden packing, and roof. The collar is bolted onto the roof and tightening the nuts squashes the sealant after it's gone off a bit.

Thanks. Yeah, i meant silicone /envirograf /plumba. As opposed to neoprene /foam. 

Mine isnt bolted to the roof we didn't bother so two less holes in the roof. When it needs replacing a jemmy will be used to break the seal and remove collar. It doesn't leak at all and is not going anywhere without a good jemmy to prise it off.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Mine isnt bolted to the roof we didn't bother so two less holes in the roof. When it needs replacing a jemmy will be used to break the seal and remove collar. It doesn't leak at all and is not going anywhere without a good jemmy to prise it off.

Ours had a wooden packing piece, so I had to be a bit careful removing it 

5 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ours had a wooden packing piece, so I had to be a bit careful removing it 

Yeah mine should have cos its on a bit of a cant but hey ho its not a show boat although it does look pretty with its new paint at the moment.

43 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Can anyone advise if fire rope is required between the collar and stove on a morso squirrel, cos I've forgotten. 

Ok, the answer is yes, now to find out what size. Wait, why am I telling you lot, im sure you're not interested