Rivets?

frahkn

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Peter X said:

There are some good reasons not to fully load a GU boat.

2. It wouldn't get anywhere on most canals, it'd be aground all the time. Many canal pubs have photos or paintings on the walls of fully loaded boats under way, but I think they're all old, dating from when there was more depth. When did anyone last take a fully loaded GU boat the length of the GU I wonder?

If you mean Brentford to Brum, I can't imagine it happens very often, as I can't think of traffics where it might.

However, wy no means as fully laden as is possible, but the 2010 carriage of gravel from Brentford to Mancetter, (I think) on the Coventry saw some fairly heavily loaded ex-GUCCCo boats do what was by modern standards a long run .....

IMG_0321_Archimedes_Ara_Kings_Langley.JP

IMG_0397_Archimedes_Ara_Apsley.JPG

IMG_0444_Callisto_Themis_Marsworth.JPG

IMG_0485_Callisto_Themis_Marsworth.JPG

Edited by alan_fincher

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If you mean Brentford to Brum, I can't imagine it happens very often, as I can't think of traffics where it might.
However, wy no means as fully laden as is possible, but the 2010 carriage of gravel from Brentford to Mancetter, (I think) on the Coventry saw some fairly heavily loaded ex-GUCCCo boats do what was by modern standards a long run .....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Ray T

2 hours ago, Peter X said:

When did anyone last take a fully loaded GU boat the length of the GU I wonder?

How close to the bank would you like to go?

(OK - not a GU boat. Barlow's Admiral at Braunston, June 2011)

PICT0157.JPG.f3cb52a3946b4803a0a2b90e5c08ad44.JPG

18 hours ago, Goliath said:

Well, as you know, I have made some plaster casts of my rivets, with the idea to sell them to the likes of you. It's a £1per rivet or £5 for 3.  They can be blue tacked on, nailed, or hung down on string ( for removal when entering locks, so you dont damage them). 

These are genuine casts from 19th century rivets.

I can also cast rope marks just to add that extra authenticity. 

Instant stick-on rivets.  Available in brown and white.

1024px-Cadbury-Buttons.jpg

27 minutes ago, David Mack said:

How close to the bank would you like to go?

Instant stick-on rivets.  Available in brown and white.

1024px-Cadbury-Buttons.jpg

Those would look a great deal more authentic than many.

Presumably what held Chocolate Charlie Atkins' boat together?

On 20/09/2017 at 14:50, dmr said:

A boaty boat? One that could turn up at a historic boat rally and it would take more than a second to work out it didn't belong there???   Went past a quite faded and grubby Hudson last year and I had to look for quite a while to work out what is was, quite a pleasing boat.

Am currently in Birmingham and there is a whole load of historic working boat loitering above Farmers, likely on route to the black country museum. After a good long look I realised one of them was a actually Northwich Trader (lots of rivets) so I reckon my definition is about right. I think its butty was genuine though.

..............Dave

30 minutes ago, dmr said:

Am currently in Birmingham and there is a whole load of historic working boat loitering above Farmers, likely on route to the black country museum. After a good long look I realised one of them was a actually Northwich Trader (lots of rivets) so I reckon my definition is about right. I think its butty was genuine though.

..............Dave

Sounds like that could be Michael Pinnock senior's RW Davis boat Alder.

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

Sounds like that could be Michael Pinnock senior's RW Davis boat Alder.

Thats the one, nice looking boat, dark gloss green whilst most Traders are painted in red oxide or other matt colours. It did not look at all out of place amongst the proper old boats.

...........Dave

31 minutes ago, dmr said:

Thats the one, nice looking boat, dark gloss green whilst most Traders are painted in red oxide or other matt colours. It did not look at all out of place amongst the proper old boats.

...........Dave

Yes it is very nice. We were moored behind him earlier in the year at Stourport. 

If you load a town class  motor the distribution of draft changes more than the overall draft. That's why many ballast the bow. I put 14 tons on thaxted on one occasion. It simply meant that the rubbish got pushed through the bridges rather than the upwards bounce that happens as the bottom roughly in front of the engine hole clouts the rock shopping trolley car safe car or whatever is in the cut. Loaded down by the head they steer very well. It's evidenced in the pictures.

I have a josher motor I keep in the ticket drawer. It only needs another 6999.5 rivets and a bit of steel to complete the job. Nearly threw it at someone who was throwing stones at us  but strangely found the odd marble in there instead,. If I had thrown it by mistake another boat would have been lost..

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1