Deck Matting

jddevel

Featured Posts

Best place to buy and best type of deck matting please. Have seen a rubber what appears to be interlocking cut to shape type. Is that what I should be looking for? Boat painting due middle October so obviously would like to source it before ready to cut and be prepared when boat returns November

15 minutes ago, jddevel said:

Best place to buy and best type of deck matting please. Have seen a rubber what appears to be interlocking cut to shape type. Is that what I should be looking for? Boat painting due middle October so obviously would like to source it before ready to cut and be prepared when boat returns November

My opinion is don't use it. Whatever type you use will trap some water under it with detriment to the deck paint over time. Use a non slip deck finish, there are many different ways to do it and forget any matting.

34 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My opinion is don't use it. Whatever type you use will trap some water under it with detriment to the deck paint over time. Use a non slip deck finish, there are many different ways to do it and forget any matting.

On Copperkins we used the squares which were sold by Midland Chandlers and probably others and they "locked " together. They had little feet which kept them off the ground and the water just drained away.  On Kelpie we have the more substantial matting with round holes in it and I agree that water could get trapped under it although thinking about it, I haven't seen this happen. 

haggis

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

On Copperkins we used the squares which were sold by Midland Chandlers and probably others and they "locked " together. They had little feet which kept them off the ground and the water just drained away.  On Kelpie we have the more substantial matting with round holes in it and I agree that water could get trapped under it although thinking about it, I haven't seen this happen. 

haggis

Yes some are much worse than others. They must touch the deck somewhere and that is were the problem lies.

So am I to assume that the damage caused by the matting can be worse than that caused by footfall? Obviously even deck shoes can have damaging soil attached. I would have thought that the protective coating of paint would normally have been waterproof under the matting. With no personal experience obviously I`m looking to others for advice and experiences.

4 minutes ago, jddevel said:

So am I to assume that the damage caused by the matting can be worse than that caused by footfall? Obviously even deck shoes can have damaging soil attached. I would have thought that the protective coating of paint would normally have been waterproof under the matting. With no personal experience obviously I`m looking to others for advice and experiences.

Whatever you put onto gloss paint will eventualy trap water and the paint will lift, its what happens on boat roofs when plant pots etc are on their for extended periods of time. There are today some great additives you can mix with various paints to give a non slip finish. I have just had my decks done with raddle finish paint and mixed some stuff in which gives a good non slip but still washable finish without needing matting.

The ones from midland chandlers aren't long lived. The matting sits on its little pegs and they quickly break off. The other stuff is stable matting. It is softer, being made of rubber but inevitably gets grit under it which will wear through the paint over time. I'm experimenting with the stable matting but the jury is still out. 

i have had my matting 4 years ,and yes the little pegs do drop off after time ,but as for wearing through the paint ,never had that trouble ,,maybe becuse i paint it every year ,the matting feels nice underfoot ..far better with then without ...horses for courses 

I have always used these http://www.versatile-flooring.co.uk and found them perfectly OK. The little peg feet don't drop off and due to the multiple, but small diameter, feet there is no trapped water to cause deck paint deterioration. The only slight issue that I have experienced is that in very hot weather the tiles soften and then they squirm slightly underfoot but that has never been a deal breaker. The Terracotta colour is not too bad a representation of the Raddle Red colour that is often used to paint decks etc. Dirt drops through the holes so that you don't grind any grit into the painted deck surface and you just lift the matting to clean underneath occasionally.

Roger

Edited by Albion

Use rubber matting rather than hard plastic - saves fatigue too eg standing at rear counter. NB it's really heavy!

https://ihlmats.com.au/modular-with-holes-interlocking-rubber-mats-with-attachable-ramps-and-corners-for-modular-configuration-mats.html

No problems on our with water entrapment issues - used it for years.

Edited by mark99

Ideal footware for stomping about on smooth shiney surfaces without slippage are the ''Extra Special SuperMulti-Sucker Soled Plimsoles'' or pumps. These pumps are very special because of all the hundreds of little suckers on their soles which when walking on these trecherous shiney surfaces really take a hold and suck like anything. As each foot presses hard down on its pump the little suckers create a huge vacuum inside them which makes them reluctant to let go, so can impede you forward progress. For this reason its recommended that a big stout pry-bar is carried in your pocket which when stuck is forced with a wriggling action under the suckered sole and heaved upwards with all your might to force them up, break their vacuum and release you, and so progress can be resumed to a further step forwards when the same releasing procedure may again be necessary. Slow progress you may think, but safe and will prevent you from slipping arse over apex.  Some recommend wearing only one multi-sucker pump on the right foot with a smooth soled carpet slipper on the left foot. For if the suckered pump refuses to release after operations with the pry-bar you can still lift one foot off the smooth surface, which you can wave about for exercise and to prevent cramp and pins and needles or even thrombosis, whilst waiting for rescue. Waving the free leg about in the air should attract the attention of passers by who can haul on you to unstick you, or call the fire brigade, whom for this service expect a little donation towards their benevelant fund. But its all worth it, isn't it, if your Extra Special Super Multi-sucker Soled Pumps save you from a nasty slippage.  :closedeyes:

• Haha 1

I cable-tied some of these mats together and and filled the well deck to raise the level above the puddle that collected by by my bow doors. The trouble is that they collect leaves and dirt which creates a horrible mess underneath. In the end I got rid of them and opened up the scuppers so they met the bulkhead and drained the deck properly. But I do use these mats on my newly epoxy painted gas locker floor to prevent the paint getting damaged while still allowing drainage. The gas scuppers are only a few inches above the waterline so the locker does flood when the bow hits any waves.

Image result for rubber scraper mats

Edited by blackrose

11 hours ago, jddevel said:

Boat is being painted with 2 pack 8 coat system. I was under the impression that was/is very durable?

I've recently taken my bow deck back to steel and re-painted with 3 coats of two-pack epoxy, 2 coats of Hemple undercoat/primer and then 2 coats of International non-slip Interdeck. I'm not worried about the two-pack, but I still wouldn't leave things laying on the deck for too long collecting moisture because the topcoats won't like it. If your topcoats are a good two-pack paint then you might be ok.

1 hour ago, haza said:

size 4 please bizz

Size 4 no problem, have you any flat feet, fallen arches, in growing toe nails, or any other foot deformities?, if so a special order will have to be made. Order from... ''Suckers for suckers unlimited''  1007 Heel crescent, off Boot st, Tonguestead  near Leatherhead.   WARNING! But whatever you do don't order any on easy terms from a catalogue, my dad did and he ended up with a club foot.  

Edited by bizzard
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Albion said:

I have always used these http://www.versatile-flooring.co.uk and found them perfectly OK. The little peg feet don't drop off and due to the multiple, but small diameter, feet there is no trapped water to cause deck paint deterioration. The only slight issue that I have experienced is that in very hot weather the tiles soften and then they squirm slightly underfoot but that has never been a deal breaker. The Terracotta colour is not too bad a representation of the Raddle Red colour that is often used to paint decks etc. Dirt drops through the holes so that you don't grind any grit into the painted deck surface and you just lift the matting to clean underneath occasionally.

Roger

Those are the ones we had. The pegs broke off fairly quickly over two or three seasons on a shared boat as I recall. I replaced the first few but they succumbed in the same way. The survivors were recycled and used on the roof as somewhere to put windlasses down without damaging the paintwork. The black rubber stuff is more durable but not as pretty.

You need DriDek (similar products are available). You're always standing on a dry deck and the cold steel doesn't leach the warmth through the soles of your boots in winter. There are small contact points with the deck paint, but they're so plentiful that the weight is well spread and rub through certainly isn't a short term issue. I have it on my steerer's step, forward well deck and in my gas locker under the bottles. 

We've had this stable matting down for over three years now. Very heavy duty, no problem with the paint underneath as it sits on little feet. 

Easy to lift and clean up any grit if needed. We've been very pleased with it  

http://www.matsgrids.co.uk/grass-protection-rubber-mats/37-grass-protection-rubber-mats-5060423910794.html?fo_c=730&fo_k=eb12f64dc33f1f969370517874bd5cdb&fo_s=gplauk&gclid=CjwKCAjwxo3OBRBpEiwAS7X62bOEv8va-lLU0qY0LW9MH_Uh5W1NlcuwFFMvLvTxXQEveeXw-BW6xhoC6zoQAvD_BwE

17 minutes ago, Bee said:

I've never used it but isn't it a nuisance re. leaves and stuff that can't be swept away?

Dunno about that grass mat stuff, but it isn't with DriDek. It's quite light, the holes are too small to trap leaves and the tiles are locked together so well I just lift mine in one piece and rinse it in the canal when I sweep the deck underneath it. Actually,  with it in place, the deck always looks clean. 

My method of cleaning the rubber matting is to lift it and trail it in the water as we go along, turning it every now and again to make sure that every bit has had the benefit of water rushing through it.  It is amazing how much dirt (and dog hair) gather under the matting and I reckon that without it, that would all end up inside the boat.

haggis