New Pram Hood/Chimney

Fishbone

Featured Posts

Hi there, new poster here!

We are getting our new pram hood fitted this week and it will be quite near the chimney once on, our boat is a reverse layout so the burner is in the corner by the back doors.

I'm slightly worried that any sparks from the chimney might damage the hood but can't seem to find any topics anywhere about this particular issue. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Cheers!

Welcome to the forum. The fitter of the hood ought to be aware of these issues and advise accordingly. Rest assured, if there are any issues, your next BSS will reveal. Sorry to be on downer but go with the flow,as they say, whoever 'they' are.

Our gas boiler outlet is at the very rear of the cabin. The fitters built the hood to go round it. No problems in the three years so far.

Martyn.

1 hour ago, Fishbone said:

We are getting our new pram hood fitted this week and it will be quite near the chimney once on, our boat is a reverse layout so the burner is in the corner by the back doors.

I'm slightly worried that any sparks from the chimney might damage the hood but can't seem to find any topics anywhere about this particular issue. Am I worrying unnecessarily?

Cheers!

Some years ago we had the same problem - we had to get a chimney extension so that the 'sparks', muck and smoke exited higher than the hood - with a short chimney there is also the possibility of 'gases' being blown back into (what is now) an enclosed space.

Don't forget to remove the chimney extension when cruising.

8 hours ago, Fishbone said:

Cheers!

Don't waste money on a pram hood!! spend the money wisely on beer.

• Happy 1

10 hours ago, Fishbone said:

Cheers!

Welcome to CWDF. One of the neighbour boats here has a chimney that actually passes through the pram hood! Seems to have survived OK for many years with appropriate heat resistant stuff around where it goes through. Don't ask me what, 'cause I don't know.

Just noticed the name of you boat and now feel the urge to say "My boat is Spartacus".

Jen

Personally I think the OP is right to be concerned, especially if burning wood.  I've sometimes seen sparks coming out of my chimney and drifting down when the stove is recently lit., so an upward extension may not work.  You could fit a spark arrester cowl such as is often fitted to thatched properties, but they are an eye-watering price.  You could easily make one out of wire mesh much more cheaply, to fit your chimney, but regular cleaning is essential.

http://www.fluesystems.com/shop/Colt_Spark_Arrester.html