Bob65

Featured Posts

Afternoon all, 

I am renting a narrowboat as a continuous cruiser. I'm aware that this is a controversial thing to do, however, I would like the benefit of your shared wisdom without any judgement as i have a question with regards to stove maintenance that has me stumped.

Essentially, my stove hasn't been serviced since the landlord bought the boat 2.5 years ago, and he is digging his heels in about getting it sorted. As winter approaches, I am concerned about my safety, especially as it has been leaking water when it rains due to a faulty chimney and the seals connecting the pipe to the body of the stove and inside of the roof/chimney collar look old and a bit worn. Over the next week I will be replacing the glass, stove rope and chimney, however, should I be insistent over getting the stove serviced or will I be ok? To clarify, there are no visible holes, cracks  or gaps on the body of the stove, though I can't see if this is the case where the pipe connects to the chimney collar.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers,

Bob.

Bob, welcome to the forum.

As you have posted your topic topic twice, with slightly different titles, I have hidden the other one so that all your answers appear on the same thread.

Apologies to Rusty who had just replied on the other one, asking if you had a carbon monoxide alarm.

12 minutes ago, Bob65 said:

Afternoon all, 

I am renting a narrowboat as a continuous cruiser. I'm aware that this is a controversial thing to do, however, I would like the benefit of your shared wisdom without any judgement as i have a question with regards to stove maintenance that has me stumped.

Essentially, my stove hasn't been serviced since the landlord bought the boat 2.5 years ago, and he is digging his heels in about getting it sorted. As winter approaches, I am concerned about my safety, especially as it has been leaking water when it rains due to a faulty chimney and the seals connecting the pipe to the body of the stove and inside of the roof/chimney collar look old and a bit worn. Over the next week I will be replacing the glass, stove rope and chimney, however, should I be insistent over getting the stove serviced or will I be ok? To clarify, there are no visible holes, cracks  or gaps on the body of the stove, though I can't see if this is the case where the pipe connects to the chimney collar.

Cheers,

Bob.

Please get a carbon monoxide alarm.

I think if it was me,and thought that it wouldn't cause eviction, I would advise the landlord that the leak may cause damage to the stove if not addressed,and may be cheaper to look at now rather than later.

Ultimately though I would want to ensure its safe to use whether I had it fixed  or the landlord did. I guess you don't have a tenancy agreement in place?

Edited by rusty69

"Servicing" stoves is not ta difficult although getting a qualified person may be difficult for the landlord of a rented live-a-board boat.

Basically it consists of sweeping the flue and ensuring the stove, including above/behind the baffle/throat plate is clean, carefully inspecting the stove is free from cracks, ensuring any seals on doors are in good order or are replaced, and ensuring the door(s) are closing properly.

I can not recommend that you do this yourself.

If you are renting then the owner needs to have the correct Boat Safety Scheme certificate.  Also the correct level of insurance and CaRT license.  The BSS requires hire boats to carry smoke detectors and carbon-monoxide alarms - this is up to the owner to install.  If these are correctly fitted and tested you should be OK - unless you are particularly deaf.  When the fire is well lit the whole stove is under negative pressure - assuming the flue is unobstructed.  If cleaning the flue yourself remember to didmantle the throat plate at the top of the stove/bottom of flue.

Edited by mross

3 hours ago, Bob65 said:

Afternoon all, 

I am renting a narrowboat as a continuous cruiser. I'm aware that this is a controversial thing to do, however, I would like the benefit of your shared wisdom without any judgement

It's not a question of any judgement, only that if the rental is 'unofficial', and the correct BSS, licence and insurance are not in place, then the boat, your belongings, and possibly you WILL NOT BE INSURED if anything goes wrong. If everything is complied with, it's not a controversial thing to do.

• 3 weeks later...

In the long run. it is usually best for both parties to comply with all legal requirements, in the meantime,  treat it like a rented property, get a "rent book", record all correspondance, eg by email, don't pay cash in hand with no receipt. Why should you assist anyone to defraud Society?

Now you have hit a brick wall, you can see how weak your position looks. Anyone can take the hump at any time, and report their suspicions to relevant athorities, and you will be looking for new accomodation. 

Edited by LadyG

If its CCing its almost certain to be unofficial as I think you have to have a home mooring to rent. There is no security of tenancy on a boat, it is not like renting a house or even a room. At the end of the day you are on your own. Just think back to the young lady on Midnight Diamond that sank with all her possessions and worldly goods. Take great care.

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Bob65 said:

Jesus, you're a happy bunch aren't you? 

No, simply a loose community (of boaters) that by their very nature care about their 'fellow man' and look out for one another: something that is becoming increasingly lacking in society in general but which is, however, alive and well and an intrinsic part of life on the waterways.

• Greenie 3

7 hours ago, Bob65 said:

No - just very wary of being complicit in condoning an illegal act that could lead you to 'losing all your worldly possessions', or at worst, loosing your life.

Who knows if the boat is actually safe ?

Does it have a 'landlords gas safety certificate' ?

Does it have a 'hire boat' BSS certificate ?

Does it have 'hire boat' insurance ?

Maybe you could outline your cruising plans and planned mooring locations so everyone can avoid being near you if / when it goes 'bang', as the insurers are unlikely to pay out for any damage to 3rd parties.

Your landlord should be reported and any concerned boater SHOULD do it, but as it will be making you homeless they probably will not.

On 18 September 2017 at 13:26, Bob65 said:

Afternoon all, 

Cheers,

Bob.

7 hours ago, Bob65 said:

As i see it you have asked a question re your stoves safety . The question has been answered . But you don t like the answers because theyre honest & accurate and make for uncomfortable reading . If u ask a question expect an honest appraisal of the situation . Otherwise dont  ask . 

Fortunately you do have smoke alarms and CO alarms . Good .Test thier batts regularly .

If you haven t done so already you will need to sweep the flue . When u do this crud will fall from inside the flue so you will need to remove the " baffle plate " or " throat plate "  that sits on top of the firebricks that line the interior of the stove . Replace baffle plate after . You will need to check the fire rope seals where appropriate - look on google . 

I make no judgement on your decision to rent a narrowboat . Up to you . But when you do so you are likely to be on your own . Expect no assistance from the landlord . 

Stoves are dangerous if not maintained . CO kills . Fire kills .

. I couldnt care less if you die by either method , no skin off my nose - my concern is always the other people nearby or other people on your boat who may come to harm because of your decisons and workmanship . 

Either way , whoever pays is no ones concern but you & your " landlord " . Your agreement , your problem . Most folk on the forum are unlikely to care who pays and only concerned with offering advice about safety . 

So  get the work done and if you have to pay for it yourself so be it . 

As for your comments about " being a happy bunch " - largely this is true . I am - my boats warm & set up for the winter to come as i serviced my stove in August before cold sets in & i know its not trying to kill me . 

Get your stove sorted mate , who cares who pays - it aint worth the risks involved 

cheers

• Greenie 3