Paint Matching

Featured Posts

Hi all, anyone have any tips for finding something similar to this colour? (photo not great) Tried all the usual places and I know the issues with matching faded paints but I can't seem to get anywhere near! Thought it was quite a common NB colour but this kind of matt finish seems a bit rare.

Cheers for any help.

Brian

PaintMatch.PNG

24 minutes ago, DavidPeckham said:

Hi all, anyone have any tips for finding something similar to this colour? (photo not great) Tried all the usual places and I know the issues with matching faded paints but I can't seem to get anywhere near! Thought it was quite a common NB colour but this kind of matt finish seems a bit rare.

Cheers for any help.

Brian

PaintMatch.PNG

It could have originally been almost 'any red'.

Red is the worst colour for fading / bleaching out and ending up with a chalky / matt finish.

Try 'colour-bak' or T-Cut and give a good rubbing to try and see the original colour.

If you decide to repaint it for goodness sake ensure you are given the BS or RAL number for the paint colour. Far too often paint manufacturers use their own names and thereby hide the colour code or simply do not mix to standard colours. These are known as "house colours" and you will be hard pressed to match them. Knowing the BS/RAL number will not help with faded or chalked paintwork but at least you have a starts and something that shoudl eventually fade to a close match.

Interesting topic; I currently have a similar issue with some rust spots around the windows but the rest of the paintwork is ok. I've had a quote for repainting the whole cabin sides and considering whether to just go with this option rather than touch up patches that may never match and will come back eventually.

The BIG mistake I made was having a full repaint without the windows being removed resulting in the position I'm in now - generally good paintwork with rust patches around the windows. The dilemma I have now is whether to bite the bullet and have the cabin sides repainted with the windows removed to cure the problem or have some sort of temporary patchwork done. 

1 hour ago, luggsy said:

Try a crown paint center they advertise they can match any colour 

I took a sample of paintwork in to my local Dulux Decorator Centre to match it

Their machine couldn't get a decent reading - apparently the gloss was too shiny. But by comparing it with a series of shade cards we got a match that was almost indistinguishable when I used it to touch up.

Edited by David Mack

44 minutes ago, rgreg said:

The BIG mistake I made was having a full repaint without the windows being removed resulting in the position I'm in now - generally good paintwork with rust patches around the windows. The dilemma I have now is whether to bite the bullet and have the cabin sides repainted with the windows removed to cure the problem or have some sort of temporary patchwork done. 

Why not take some time to neatly mask around the windows and use a contrasting paint to make a border? As a temporary fix it'll look better than a patchwork quilt.