Starts At: Lock 4, Hurleston Locks
Ends At: Lock 4, Hurleston Locks
Up Stream Winding Hole: Hurleston Junction
Down Stream Winding Hole: Stoneley Green

Thursday 28 September 2017 07:00 until Thursday 28 September 2017 10:00

Type: Navigation Closure
Reason: Inspection

Original message:

In order to investigate movement of the chamber walls at Hurleston Lock 4 (Bottom Lock, Llangollen Canal), Unfortunately it is necessary to complete further survey works during a morning stoppage on Thursday 28th September 2017, during which the lock will be emptied.  This will be carried out between 7am-10am, with the canal being re-opened for customers following completion and re-filling. The surveying will be carried out by survey operations, assisted by Canal & River Trust operatives.  We ask for your patience whilst this is taking place; thank you for your co-operation. 

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/11576/llangollen-canal-hurleston-lock-4-

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Edited by DHutch
Like topics merged.

In order to investigate movement of the chamber walls at Hurleston Lock 4 (Bottom Lock, Llangollen Canal), Unfortunately it is necessary to complete further survey works during a morning stoppage on Thursday 28th September 2017, during which the lock will be emptied.  This will be carried out between 7am-10am, with the canal being re-opened for customers following completion and re-filling. The surveying will be carried out by survey operations, assisted by Canal & River Trust operatives.  We ask for your patience whilst this is taking place; thank you for your co-operation. 

ETA: posted same time as Hudds'.  Mods feel free to delete

Edited by dor

26 minutes ago, haza said:

why a survey when we are told what the problem is by the keepers every time we go up there im sure those are the guys what would know ,,they work them nearly every day 

We all know the lock is tight, but it is not as simple as the lock having parallel sides.  It would need the lock emptying and measuring not just its width but also the shape of the sides.   Some boats get stuck whilst other, wider ones get through; it depends where the maximum width of your hull is compared to the locks.  Some boats won't fit one way, but will by going in backwards!

My 6' 11'' maximum hull went through ok last weekend, but it is a bit tight in places!

2 hours ago, haza said:

why a survey when we are told what the problem is by the keepers every time we go up there im sure those are the guys what would know ,,they work them nearly every day 

So you can plan how to fix it?

Richard

23 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I am sure they did this a few years ago with some sort of laser measuring device, so I would imagine they can compare and see if theres been any changes and plan a more long term stoppage

There are what appear to be some reference points set into the lock walls, they look like hexagonal bolt heads in the brickwork but very flat.

they have had problems with these lock for years .i also now a survey is needed ..but the surveyors dont operate the locks day in day out ..my comment was a bit tongue in cheek ,,they have been closing them a couple of day here and there for years ...close them completely til they are done .lots of boaters dont go there for the lock reason i know 4 different boats that had to turn back this year ...we would all need looking at if we were that old 

• Greenie 1