Isambard kingdom Brunel???

Paul Myatt

Featured Posts

If the boat you went on 40 or so years ago was wood  & by that i mean wooden hull it would be unlikely to be a "Bantock" but could have been Mr A F"s BCN day boat, if you are referring to a wooden cabin /conversion it could be either

1 hour ago, rgreg said:

Well it would if it was funny! 

Fair point rgreg but he's allowed to try! 

edited to say sorry I only just read Mark99 precious post to say he was not trying to be funny but make what is a very valid point that the owner may not want to be found.

Edited by NickF

18 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

There seem to be two boats with this name, the Bantock one, and a Brummagem Boats built one.)

I would have thought it more than likely that over a period of 40 years there have been more than just these two boats named Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Edited by David Mack

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

I would have thought it more than likely that over a period of 40 years there have been more than just these two boats named Isambard Kingdom Brunel.

Perhaps there haven't been enough boaters who were fans of the G.W.R. and of suspension bridges...and think of polishing all that copper...

21 hours ago, Athy said:

Welcome to CWDF, Paul. If the boat is still around, it's a good bet that someone on here will know it (or even own it).

As you joined the forum only three hours ago, perhaps it is a little early for you to be suggesting what long-standing members should or should not post.

I hope this comment is constructive.

So precisely how long ago does one have to have joined before being allowed to post ones opinion?

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

Perhaps people are thrifty and wary of how much signwriting they will need to pay for!

1 hour ago, canalboat said:

So precisely how long ago does one have to have joined before being allowed to post ones opinion?

Slightly less time than has to pass before it is acceptable for someone to point out to you that that opinion is perhaps out of order?

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

So up North there are several boats called "IKB", "Bru" or "Izzy"?

There seem to be several "Isambard"s, a single "Isamabard Kingdom", and the two "Isambard Kingdom Brunel"s already discussed.

1 hour ago, alan_fincher said:

Slightly less time than has to pass before it is acceptable for someone to point out to you that that opinion is perhaps out of order?

And to which opinion do you refer?
 Paul's, Athy's or mine
I did not think or say that any of them was out of order.

On 18/09/2017 at 12:27, Paul Myatt said:

Does anybody now where the Isambard Kingdom Brunel is please, this was the first Narrowboat I went on 40 years ago!., seen that it was last registered in 2014.

your help with my search would be weclomed 

If its the same one I have seen it in the last month or so. I think it was on the Middle Level or in the London Area. Not much help but it is still around. But it did need a new paint job.  

16 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I don't think the canalplan data goes back 40 years.

???

If you mean that there might have been an IKB 60 years ago that was scrapped 40 years ago then yes. If you mean that a boat that's over 40 years old won't be on the listing then no. 

On 9/18/2017 at 14:54, alan_fincher said:

Isambard Kingdom Brune Built by Bantock - Length : 21.336 metres ( 70 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 518248 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Other boat names on this licence plate (May be Historical Data)

Isambard Kingdom Brunel Built by Bantock - Length : 21.336 metres ( 70 feet ) - Beam : 2.08 metres ( 6 feet 10 inches ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 518248 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Friday 20th April 2012 )

??????

A converted BCN day boat is a narrowboat!

You referred to 40 years ago, so clearly we are not talking about a recent narrow boat are we?

If it is this one......

then "Bantock" identifies it as being exactly what I asked.  So is it this one?

Judging by the CRT number of this boat I would guess that it was registered sometime about 2003/4 (yes, I know that it doesn't necessarily mean it was built then, but it would beg the question of where it had been for the previous 20 years)

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Does the canalplan data go back more than about 10 years?  Any boat which was scrapped (or taken off the relevant navigation authority waters) before then will not appear in the data. Likewise any boat which changed name before then will not appear under the previous name.

Canalplan started publishing in 2005, so your following comment is correct:

"Any boat which was scrapped (or taken off the relevant navigation authority waters) before then will not appear in the data. Likewise any boat which changed name before then will not appear under the previous name."

On 19/09/2017 at 23:38, pete harrison said:

Canalplan started publishing in 2005, so your following comment is correct:

"Any boat which was scrapped (or taken off the relevant navigation authority waters) before then will not appear in the data. Likewise any boat which changed name before then will not appear under the previous name."

Canalplan didn't have the boat data until a few years ago  when we took over from Jim... I'm not sure how he rebuilt the data each year - now we just get a list of new registrations from C&RT so old boats will stay on there.

On 19/09/2017 at 22:46, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Judging by the CRT number of this boat I would guess that it was registered sometime about 2003/4 (yes, I know that it doesn't necessarily mean it was built then, but it would beg the question of where it had been for the previous 20 years)

Somebody said they saw the boat around year 2000 with no wooden roof on near Milton Keynes!, so could have been rebuilt around that time.

30 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Canalplan didn't have the boat data until a few years ago  when we took over from Jim... I'm not sure how he rebuilt the data each year - now we just get a list of new registrations from C&RT so old boats will stay on there.

My apologies as not being a canal enthusiast I thought that Jim Shead and Canalplan were one of the same thing :captain:

13 minutes ago, Paul Myatt said:

Somebody said they saw the boat around year 2000 with no wooden roof on near Milton Keynes!, so could have been rebuilt around that time.

I am very much of the opinion that the ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL seen around 2000 in Milton Keynes is a different boat to that you went on 40 years ago (1977). This ISAMBARD KINGDOM BRUNEL was still operating in the day boat fleet of Alfred Matty and Sons Ltd., Coseley in 1977 - unless 40 years ago is a generalisation :captain:

On 18/09/2017 at 15:56, Athy said:

Fair comment. Yes, you will get used to the humour of some members on here!

Its not only humour, often people come on here trying to trace a boat and if that person is unknown you can't always tell the motives involved. some times it an ex trying to get their hands on the boat their partner has left with, sometime its claimed its stolen or some has left owing money. For that reason lots of members are very wary about passing on the location of a boat that someone is looking for.

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Its not only humour, often people come on here trying to trace a boat and if that person is unknown you can't always tell the motives involved. some times it an ex trying to get their hands on the boat their partner has left with, sometime its claimed its stolen or some has left owing money. For that reason lots of members are very wary about passing on the location of a boat that someone is looking for.

Yes, you are quite correct.

On 18/09/2017 at 15:56, Athy said:

Fair comment. Yes, you will get used to the humour of some members on here!

Nearly 30,000 posts and some folk still haven't got used to mine.

On 18/09/2017 at 17:09, mark99 said:

I'm nearly sure the OP is genuine and so are his reasons but you got to respect the privacy of a boater who may not want the boat to be found ...

But doesn't having a boat on a canal pretty much put it's location in the public domain and therefore there is no harm in saying "I saw that old Bantock 'IKB' up the Grand Union last night."

Of course if the boat is tarped up behind a hedge on private property that would be a different matter.