Ikea LED lights

lockedout

Featured Posts

Hi Everyone,

Has anyone tried using Ikea 12v LED lights on a boat's 12v DC system?

I have read a bunch of stuff online with people hacking the lights to fit motorhome 12v systems so I guess it should work?

My concern would be that the bulbs/strips wouldn't deal with the voltage variations on a boat, I can't find any detailed tech specs to give a voltage range for the LEDs.

Anybody tried it? 

A friend of ours has fitted his boat with Ikea LED lights with (as he describes it) "the transformers cut off and discarded".

They seem to work OK, and he didn't mention failures, but my head says the proper thing for a boat is good from something like 8v to 30v, whereas Ikea ones may not have anything like the same tolerance.

If in doubt you could use a "12 volt" to 12 volt converter in line to ensure a more consistent voltage, but this could start negating any cost saving by using "non boaty" items.

Thanks guys,

The LED bulbs from Bedazzled are rated 10v-30v, we have these fitted in most of our 12v lights.  My worry is that if the Ikea stuff gets a peak of 14.5 volts, for example, it will blow.

What I am after fitting is one of their over cupboard lights over the bathroom cabinet so I can actually see what I am shaving.  I guess for 15 quid it is worth a pop?

1 hour ago, lockedout said:

Thanks guys,

The LED bulbs from Bedazzled are rated 10v-30v, we have these fitted in most of our 12v lights.  My worry is that if the Ikea stuff gets a peak of 14.5 volts, for example, it will blow.

What I am after fitting is one of their over cupboard lights over the bathroom cabinet so I can actually see what I am shaving.  I guess for 15 quid it is worth a pop?

I always buy very cheap leds from ebay or aldi and so far in several years only one set died quickly, they are usualy a fraction of bedazzled and the like. Give em a try. My present main cabin lights are more expensive but they are from Limekiln and include the light fitting at 7 squid each, still not a bad price against others.

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

A friend of ours has fitted his boat with Ikea LED lights with (as he describes it) "the transformers cut off and discarded".

They seem to work OK, and he didn't mention failures, but my head says the proper thing for a boat is good from something like 8v to 30v, whereas Ikea ones may not have anything like the same tolerance.

If in doubt you could use a "12 volt" to 12 volt converter in line to ensure a more consistent voltage, but this could start negating any cost saving by using "non boaty" items.

Not sure whether it's me, but I have had Ikea lights,  in the bathroom , kitchen above the hob and main cabin for about 7 years now,  strip style lights that are in warm white. They were supposed to fit inside cupboards or wardrobes and come on when the door was opened. All I did was cut the transformer off and wire into the 12v system. Not a single led bulb has stopped working yet. 

2 hours ago, lockedout said:

Exactly where my first one was fitted.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, lockedout said:

Thanks guys,

If you shave when the engine isn't running, if that is your charging source, then you wouldn't have a problem.  If you have solar and are a late riser it might be an issue, if the lights can't manage higher voltages.

12 hours ago, lockedout said:

Good point Pete,   generally speaking the important bathroom stuff is achieved before the donk is turned on.  Problem would be if daughter #2 was onboard, it takes her about 4 hours to get herself ready for the day!

We have a daughter like your number 2 she uses a tank of water per shower!!