Chromebook opinions

jenevers

Featured Posts

I guess if a chromebook does what you want then it is ok, but it is a very different beast to a Windows PC.  I don't think you would be able to use Skype on a chromebook, but you could perhaps us a different VOIP application.  I would not compare one to a £600 PC, more like a sub £300 one.  If your main use is web browsing and Skype, a £200 PC would probably do the job for you anyway.

Although it runs a highly customised version of Linux (hence no fees to Microsoft) I would have doubts about how many standard Linux applications it will run without a lot of fiddling.

I am writing this on an old second hand Lenovo laptop (£145) and Linux Mint (free). I fitted a SSD at around £100 so is fast and reliable. Being designed as a business machine its robust as well.

I have one of these on boat and find it excellent

https://www.asus.com/uk/Commercial-Laptops/ASUS_Chromebook_C300/

I don't use Skype, but if you are able to do a bit of fiddling, you can install and use it, see here

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-install-skype-on-a-chromebook-the-ultimate-guide/

The Chromebook boots up in a few seconds, runs everything I want to, battery life is brilliant, upwards of 12 hours and can be purchased for under £200.

Kevin

3 hours ago, jenevers said:

I wonder what people's experience is with Chromebooks, which only cost around £250.

Looks like you can surf the net with them. Can you Skype with them? What's the main difference between them and a laptop costing £ 600 plus?

I'm puzzled.

That is what I am using right now. It was 160 quid. Very fast start up from off in about 8 seconds and very fast on the internet. It has a camera thing so probably does skype whatever that is? Battery lasts at least six hours continuously. Its horses for courses its greatfor me but they wont do word and crap like that.

12 minutes ago, jenevers said:

I'm surprised to read that lots of people don't use Skype. Is there a better system to use on Chromebook?

all I want is to surf the net and use some Skype-like communication devise that enables sound and vision.

Google Hangouts may work.Whatsapp is the other one,dunno if it runs on a chromebook though.

You could also consider a tablet (Aspirin)

Edited by rusty69

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Google Hangouts may work.Whatsapp is the other one,dunno if it runs on a chromebook though.

You could also consider a tablet (Aspirin)

What's app is tied to a phone number and consequently will only work on a phone.

So I don't believe there really a price difference between Chromebook and a low end Windows PC, so what is the reason for going the Chromebook route, I am seeing faster boot time and longer battery, is that it?  That would not sway me from the convenience of Windows, or a standard Linux distribution.

4 minutes ago, Fender151 said:

use WhatsApp on both Linux and Windows 10, dual boot laptop, no real issues, fettling required post updates, but for me, thats part of the challenge/fun, very sad man!

Me too. Ive got an old netbook. Dual boot between Android and Lubuntu. 

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

How do Chrombooks store your data. I have a feeling it may be on memory cards  so that might be a disadvantage for certain tasks.

The idea is that your data is stored in the cloud, so nothing is on the device itself.   You use the browser for everything.

Ah well, that would totally rule it out for me. I will look after my own data, I certainly do not trust profit driven corporations to do it for me. Even if its free now, for how much longer?

Then there is a question of how you access it to work with it if you are in a mobile phone dead spot.

46 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ah well, that would totally rule it out for me. I will look after my own data, I certainly do not trust profit driven corporations to do it for me. Even if its free now, for how much longer?

Then there is a question of how you access it to work with it if you are in a mobile phone dead spot.

You cant access it without a signal. I have an ordinary pooter but use the chromebook usualy for tinternet because it is way way faster at the price.

1 hour ago, Robbo said:

The idea is that your data is stored in the cloud, so nothing is on the device itself.   You use the browser for everything.

That is certainly the concept with all these thin client type devices, you do everything over the internet and store your data in the cloud.  No internet connection and it is a brick, but for the OP's quoted use that would not be an issue.

You don't have to save everything to the cloud, there is enough space for saving to the computer itself and these files can be accessed without an internet connection. You can also expand the storage with either an SD card, or an external hard drive. The Google suite of 'Office' tools also do a good job replicating the Microsoft suite, however, these programs aren't available without an internet connection.

Kevin

On 16/09/2017 at 07:44, Kev's Halcyon said:

I have one of these on boat and find it excellent

https://www.asus.com/uk/Commercial-Laptops/ASUS_Chromebook_C300/

I don't use Skype, but if you are able to do a bit of fiddling, you can install and use it, see here

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-install-skype-on-a-chromebook-the-ultimate-guide/

The Chromebook boots up in a few seconds, runs everything I want to, battery life is brilliant, upwards of 12 hours and can be purchased for under £200.

Kevin

Thanks for the info.

I've ordered  one from John Lewis.

2 hours ago, jenevers said:

Thanks for the info.

I've ordered  one from John Lewis.

I'm sure you'll find it very useful. If you've not used a touchpad before, look at the instructions to see which fingers to use for different actions. It uses 2 finger scrolling, which often confuses me when I get home and start to use a Windows laptop again!

Kevin