Residential Mooring Bridgwater Canal

Troyg

Featured Posts

Hi,

I am looking to live aboard and am searching for a mooring for a 50-60ft narrow boat and would like to be located on Bridgewater Canal in South Manchester/Cheshire. I work away for 6 months of the year so would live on the boat for 6 months. Could I get away with a permanent mooring instead of residential being away from the boat for periods? Ideally I would want to be near to the Sale area on the Bridgewater canal. However I have heard that living on board is not allowed on the Bridgewater? Is this true? Sale cruising club would be perfect for location but they have a long waiting list. I am going to check with Stretford and Preston Brook (not best for location as a long way out) but wanted to check on the forum also to see if anyone else has any suggestions for the area? Many thanks.

Thanks everyone. I have made some enquiries. Unfortunately everywhere is looking very busy and full. However a lady I spoke to at the Bridgewater Company is going to have a dig around. I didn't realise the Bridgwater Company handle most moorings and not the marinas themselves. There could be some moorings becoming available at Castlefield (but not for some time), which could be ok short term but not keen on the city centre. Preston Brook is perhaps the other option. Unfortunately these spots are at either end of the canal where ideally I want to be somewhere in the middle!  

Im not certain but, if you can get a non residential mooring somewhere, i believe you can then apply for a Platinum Licence which allows you to spend as much time as you like on your boat in any location on the towpath, (other than places where signs restirct you, like Lymm and The Olde No. Three).

That's how I understand it, anyway.

Thanks Richard - that is an option I am looking. The different types of licence available can be confusing - the Bridgewater company don't seem sure themselves! The next problem is to try finding a mooring as they are rare as hens teeth. I am waiting to hear back from Bridgewater with regards to that