Morso v The Rest

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, peterboat said:

A Rayburn Royal does the job without resorting to ashes thats either roasting or baking spuds

But spuds wrapped in foil and baked in the ashes under the stove taste FAR nicer than baked in any other way. Sublimely superior.

• Happy 1

On 15/09/2017 at 20:49, bizzard said:

Your extremely lucky.

On 15/09/2017 at 20:52, rusty69 said:

As is @Neil2

And us!

Well, where in squiral number two in 27years. Exact date of the change over is unknown to me,  but I estimate it at around 17 years ago or at 10years old.

Original stove had the cast iron drain pipe flu glass rope and fire cemented in and failed due to a rear corner of the top cracking off, just little but of the flange, maybe 2x0.5 inch. One of the 135 bends at the top also failed on a other occation, put down to frost damage.

The new setup has the same flue but held with high temp red silicone. So far so good.

Back boiler runs a few rads on a thermosyphon, coal side pieces fitted 5 years ago, burning mainly steam coal but also domestic bitumenous house and vocational smokeless.

On 16/09/2017 at 21:20, tree monkey said:

Ask, he will work to your specifications

On 16/09/2017 at 21:25, Mike the Boilerman said:

Will he fabricate me a squirrel?

The squirrel is perfect in every way except one. The cast iron tops and backs crack eventually.

You see I think you could do a lot worse than reverse engineer the body of a squiral as a fabrication, and then use the cast doors and riddle grate, back boiler .

Best of both worlds then. Elegant but dimensional doors with machined mating faces for the air control, a rotating grate and back boiler, but also a durable malable welded together shell.

I know someone who has done just this on an aging Epping classic to good effect.

Daniel

9 minutes ago, DHutch said:

You see I think you could do a lot worse than reverse engineer the body of a squiral as a fabrication, and then use the cast doors and riddle grate, back boiler .

The Tomlow back cabin range is like this (although I see they are no longer listed on Midland Chandlers website - who sells them?)

I bought a new flue pipe from Midland Chandlers at the weekend. On the bathroom scales it weighs 26lbs. I wouldn't have thought the weight alone was sufficient to crack a top panel. 

The force created by its weight would be negligible compared with those of expansion in a rigid setup.

Half the trouble with cast iron stoves cracking is many folk force them up to roaring hot from cold far too quickly, usually with the ashpan door wide open. They need bringing up to heat slowly and gently to give all the different bits a chance to heat up equally.  Morso know this, the reason why they began fitting the ashpan door latch restrictor thingy, which most folk remove.  I reckon Morso had too many complaints about cracking, and why they fitted the thingy.

• Greenie 1

On 9/18/2017 at 22:02, bizzard said:

Half the trouble with cast iron stoves cracking is many folk force them up to roaring hot from cold far too quickly, usually with the ashpan door wide open. They need bringing up to heat slowly and gently to give all the different bits a chance to heat up equally.  Morso know this, the reason why they began fitting the ashpan door latch restrictor thingy, which most folk remove.  I reckon Morso had too many complaints about cracking, and why they fitted the thingy.

Never seen a latch restrictor, but I also never leave the ashpan door open, it gets going perfectly well if you wind the vent fully open and wait and you do not run the risk of forgetting and coming stove thats cherry red!

Daniel

I have a becton bunny . Made by Aarrow . Ive nothing to compare it with cos its my first stove . Welded steel , not cast iron . Seperate door and ashpan door . 

I think it is an excellent stove on my 58ft trad . It doesn t make the bedroom at the stern ( stove is by bow doors ) very warm in the depths of winter but im ok with that mostly .

Is nt difficult to keep in . As i say i cannot say whether its better than any other stove as its my first one but im happy with it 

Might be worth considering 

On 9/18/2017 at 14:44, Mike the Boilerman said:

But spuds wrapped in foil and baked in the ashes under the stove taste FAR nicer than baked in any other way. Sublimely superior.

Have you ever had them baked in a Rayburn? I have had them done in ashes and wasnt impressed.