Morso v The Rest

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

Has anybody actually managed to claim against a damaged stove, within warranty, or whatever?

I've always heard that the stove manufacturers installation guidelines were impossible to adhere to, due to the amount of space being limited on a boat. Also, the "what you can and cannot burn" in new stoves is a list longer than the boat! Only HETAS approved fuels are covered so if you burnt a bag of, for example, semi smokeless fuel such as Oxbow Glow or Oxbow Red then your warranty or any other similar cover is void.

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, RLWP said:

To me that's pig ugly and looks like it's been knocked up in someone's shed..

there doesn't appear to be any air control or external riddle and what's the point of the tiny glass ? 

I have a squirrel on the boat cos it came with the boat vastly over rated in my opinion but well made compared to the £200-£300 Chinese things on eBay. 

I have little wenlock at home which is about the same size as a squirrel and chucks out more heat and  is more controllable. Although single door it's easy to light and has a decent full width ash pan. Unfortunately the Aga version now available are Chinese castings and very poor. but if you could pick up a decent condition second hand pre aga version that might be a reasonable option.

its worth bearing in mind that the well known brands like morso, villager, esse, jotul have a good dealer network for spares and there are loads of online spares suppliers too

Cheers again all, have to say that the fireweaver wasn't quite the design I was looking for.

One English make I was looking at was a Hamlet Hardy or similar but JonathanA makes a good point, having a good dealer network for spares is worth thinking about and why is it not too many of you have mentioned these other makes before....tried & trusted is a big draw.

I like the look of this one and at 5kW it would seem enough for my 58.5' nb....is 5 enough?.....doesn't mention how far from combustables though.

http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/brands/brands-g-to-z/villager-stoves/villager-chelsea-duo-multifuel-woodburning-stove.html

ESSE looks nice but at 400mm space to combustables on all sides it seems a lot compared to others so probably getting to a choice between the Villager and a Squirrel (I keep hearing the Blackadder sketch from the Highwayman episode whenever I type or read that :D) - possibly the 1430!?

This may sound stupid but....hearth? Floor fixing kit?.....was going to put it on a tiles over fireboard base with an edging. Someone said must have a metal hearth and just leave fireboard showing....any comments, recommendations on this bit?

I thought I was spending a long time on stove choice but reading other sites they were hunting and umming and aahhing for up to 3 months! :huh: don't let me go that long please

1 hour ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Cheers again all, have to say that the fireweaver wasn't quite the design I was looking for.

One English make I was looking at was a Hamlet Hardy or similar but JonathanA makes a good point, having a good dealer network for spares is worth thinking about and why is it not too many of you have mentioned these other makes before....tried & trusted is a big draw.

I like the look of this one and at 5kW it would seem enough for my 58.5' nb....is 5 enough?.....doesn't mention how far from combustables though.

http://www.stovesareus.co.uk/brands/brands-g-to-z/villager-stoves/villager-chelsea-duo-multifuel-woodburning-stove.html

ESSE looks nice but at 400mm space to combustables on all sides it seems a lot compared to others so probably getting to a choice between the Villager and a Squirrel (I keep hearing the Blackadder sketch from the Highwayman episode whenever I type or read that :D) - possibly the 1430!?

This may sound stupid but....hearth? Floor fixing kit?.....was going to put it on a tiles over fireboard base with an edging. Someone said must have a metal hearth and just leave fireboard showing....any comments, recommendations on this bit?

I thought I was spending a long time on stove choice but reading other sites they were hunting and umming and aahhing for up to 3 months! :huh: don't let me go that long please

To the best of my knowledge it doesn't need t be on a metal hearth, just one that is fireproof and extends a it in front of the stove. This bit can be removable.  It does however need to be firmly fixed down, usually by screws or bolts through at least two of the feet.  My stove sits on a slab of g'granite' with two slots in it to allow screws through the feet to go into the underlying wood.

11 hours ago, jonathanA said:

I have little wenlock at home which is about the same size as a squirrel and chucks out more heat and  is more controllable. Although single door it's easy to light and has a decent full width ash pan. Unfortunately the Aga version now available are Chinese castings and very poor. but if you could pick up a decent condition second hand pre aga version that might be a reasonable option.

Seconded re little wenlock. We have one on the boat and it's superb in every respect but one - it's impossible to keep the glass clean so you can never see the fire. Sad to hear of its degradation at the hands of Aga - they do come up second hand.

MP

2 hours ago, dor said:

To the best of my knowledge it doesn't need t be on a metal hearth, just one that is fireproof and extends a it in front of the stove. This bit can be removable.  It does however need to be firmly fixed down, usually by screws or bolts through at least two of the feet.  My stove sits on a slab of g'granite' with two slots in it to allow screws through the feet to go into the underlying wood.

Ah ok, that makes sense...I do have a nice piece of marble about 1/2-3/4" thick that I saved from a clear out somewhere, that should be ok I guess?

12 hours ago, rusty69 said:

How about a clearview pioneer. Not cheap though 

Yep, quite liked one or two of them but the price was a immediate no-no....just had a nagging feeling that they looked a bit too modern compared to what I had in my minds eye.

I've been recommended to fit a fan on the top of the stove to help distribute the heat through the length of the boat, does anyone else use this, and does it provide a noticeable benefit?

2 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Yep, quite liked one or two of them but the price was a immediate no-no....just had a nagging feeling that they looked a bit too modern compared to what I had in my minds eye.

I've been recommended to fit a fan on the top of the stove to help distribute the heat through the length of the boat, does anyone else use this, and does it provide a noticeable benefit?

I don't have one.I spoke to a couple yesterday who do,they reckon it makes a huge difference.I looked at some cheapies on Amazon, and might try one out (no laughing please).You could always try a poormans version - computer fan

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I don't have one.I spoke to a couple yesterday who do,they reckon it makes a huge difference.I looked at some cheapies on Amazon, and might try one out (no laughing please).You could always try a poormans version - computer fan

Was seriously considering it as was recommended by my surveyor but never really asked around.

If I go for the cheaper stove then it gives me a bit of theoretical saved money to use....have seen from £70 - £100 range which seems a lot of money for a little fan..but!....if it is worth it?......might need to be a big computer fan from an older PC?....might stick to the official version for now.

Need to get my stove onboard and up and running asap as the boat has a distinctive bit of damp about it after sitting for a few months and with a bit of a water pump leak.....need to get the heating on full once the last bit of work is complete and I am onboard full time.

Trouble is, heat won't kill genuine damp spores I'm told....so not sure how to totally get rid.....but the stove is a start point, especially with winter racing in.

On 15/09/2017 at 20:06, Neil2 said:

...and to be fair to Morso they do say the pipe must not bear down on the top plate, ie it should be supported.  I've got two Squirrels at home both over 25 years old all original.

I thought it was that the flue should not be solidly fixed as it goes through the roof deck rather than be supported? It's not so much the weight of the flue on the top plate of the stove that could cause a problem, it's the expansion of a hot flue that if fixed cannot expand through the roof deck fitting. I've never heard that a flue should be supported - how is this done?

Edited by blackrose

A model aeroplane 5cc diesel engine with a meaty propeller mounted on a board would provide a tremendous draught. Something like an old ED racer or Oliver racing engine.  It could be mounted in the back of the boat to suck warm air through and it would be quieter too. The exhaust would need extending to the outside with a bit of tubing. You can even brew your own fuel for them, ether and caster oil, can't remember the ratio. With a sharp edge nylon prop you can even shred your unwanted documents. Can also be mounted on a stout stick and used as a Magimix for mixing up cake, bread and puddings and the like.  At 10,000 rpm High speed hair cutting and beard trimming is also possible.    Ear muffs and a pinafore might be required.

1 minute ago, bizzard said:

A model aeroplane 5cc diesel engine with a meaty propeller mounted on a board would provide a tremendous draught. Something like an old ED racer or Oliver racing engine.  It could be mounted in the back of the boat to suck warm air through and it would be quieter too. The exhaust would need extending to the outside with a bit of tubing. You can even brew your own fuel for them, ether and caster oil, can't remember the ratio. With a sharp edge nylon prop you can even shred your unwanted documents. Can also be mounted on a stout stick and used as a Magimix for mixing up cake, bread and puddings and the like.  At 10,000 rpm High speed hair cutting and beard trimming is also possible.    Ear muffs and a pinafore might be required.

:D - Homebrew fuel.....hmmm, am sure I've drunk that before somewhere!?

9 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Or you could get a parrot in a cage,get it to flap its wings every 10 minutes or so. Don't hang the cage too close to the stove, or you'll end up with a deceased Polly.

1 minute ago, blackrose said:

Why is everyone talking about squirrels on this thread? The OP asked about Morso stoves and Morso make lots of different stoves, not just the squirrel.

This is my Morso Panther. It's been on my boat for 12 years. I replaced the grate a couple of years ago. 

DSC_5948 - Copy.JPG

You've got a fatty, hes got a thinny. 

On 16/09/2017 at 08:40, bizzard said:

With the weight of a heavy steel flue pipe dor, I doubt if silicone, not being terrible sticky and remaining fairly flexible would suspend a heavy flue pipe, unless you ram oversize rope really really, tightly around it in the roof collar.

A couple of nuts and bolts through the sides of the collar and flue pipe with spacers between collar and pipe would hold it up, until the bolts corroded through anyway.

That's one of the worst ideas I've ever heard on this forum...

We had a Villager C duo multifuel stove with back boiler on our last boat. Absolutely faultless over several winter, stayed in for 24 hours, and ran a 2 rad thermo syphon central heating system that was hardly ever used except for the towel rail in the bathroom. This was on a 55' modern trad narrow boat. We had another boat with a squirrel, and could never really get on with it, it suffered by comparison with the villager both on looks and controlability.

But it all down to personal choice.

15 hours ago, Neil2 said:

Bizzard does have a point about the impracticality of fitting a flue support on a boat installation, I can do it on mine but only because there happens to be a substantial hardwood partition close by.  The stoves we have at home 25+ years one has a very short length of pipe into an old chimney the other has a massive steel clamp bolted to the wall that holds the weight of the flue.  

I've installed 3 stoves on boats, never supported the flue, and never had a problem. The key is to allow the flue to expand both lengthways and in diameter. If you fix it permanently in the stove collar and in roof/deck collar without allowing it to expand then you may have problems. Fire rope and high temperature silicone are your friends...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-1200-C-Fireproof-Silicone-Sealant-Envirograf-Stoves-Fireplaces-Woodburners-/400744442187

I think it's available cheaper from other sellers. 

Edited by blackrose