Morso v The Rest

The Grumpy Triker

Featured Posts

Hi all,

Am really sorry if I have missed a recent thread and happy to be pointed there but......does it have to be Morso?

I visited a website on stove which is similar to a big toys r us name and there are so many DEFRA Approved - does it have to be this for BSS or just for smokeless zones?

Does anyone have experience of other makes?.....I can't believe they're all bad....and the Squirrels I looked at are £650 - £850ish but many of these were £400-£600.

Last question, how do you identify if they are good or bad at being left on a low glow overnight?

Any thoughts or comments gratefully received :cheers:

I've had a Stovax Brunel 1A for the last ten years.  When I bought it it was about £100 cheaper than the Squirrel and slightly smaller.  A good stove though and on smokeless fuel (Excel) it will stay in for close on 24 hours.

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

tortoise-are-us?

is this a new word game?

If it helps a smile on a Friday night then .....yep :D

...something........of interest in this topic .....then  areus

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

If you want a cheap and cheerful stove,look at the Boatman.It aint no squirrel though.

But what makes a squirrel a squirrel....and no not a bushy tailed motif :).....what is it that makes them so good.....or perceived to be so much better than the rest?

1 minute ago, Cheshire cat said:

Defra approved is only relevant if you are installing it in a house in a smokeless zone. Boats don't count as far as the smokeless act of parliament is concerned.

Cheers Cheshire ...didn't know that:cheers:

7 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

If it helps a smile on a Friday night then .....yep :D

...something........of interest in this topic .....then  areus

But what makes a squirrel a squirrel....and no not a bushy tailed motif :).....what is it that makes them so good.....or perceived to be so much better than the rest?

I couldn't say cos I've only ever had squirrels. It is very controllable, stays in all night. Some people suggest the top plate is prone to cracking (hence the steel boatman is often quoted).Ours is 18 years old and still going strong. 

I like them so much, I bought another one for the bedroom(ebay).

The stove is the heart of the boat(as well as the engine) in the Winter,don't skimp on it.

Edited by rusty69

I looked at all the other makes and they are all of an ilk.....have Morso become so reliant on their reputation that they can now try and charge £ 3-500 more just for then name?

Hence the query, for someone of your experience to say the above it sort of underlines my fears....gotta but squirrel else!!?....or else what, do all the others have a weakness with seals, quality of metal, etc.?

.....or is it premium rated these days in order to get the me of yesterday to buy squirrel ....ermmm because! :unsure:

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The stove is the heart of the boat(as well as the engine) in the Winter,don't skimp on it.

This is why I want to get it right but £600 on another make for 7K Output or £895 for a new Squirrel

FWIW - we're only "weekend boaters" but did design the boat for more extended living if needed. In those days the Squirrel was the market leader, but to my mind is more suited to widebeam or larger boats than our 60 footer. It may appear just a bit larger than the Brunel - but it is a lot larger. Our little Brunel churns out a helluva lot of heat - too much perhaps - once started I keep having to choke it down, and we only run it on wood. I expect on coal it'll run a lot hotter.

It might be worth looking more critically at both models and looking at the total volume  of both.

11 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We bought ours new for approx 500 quid, 18 years ago = 28 pounds/year.Good value for us.

Good point....but current prices do seem to be relying on people's loyalty a bit.....when compared to all of the others....still tempted to go that way ....but if a £600 ...other = an £800 Morso then that pays for all the accessories and some

8 minutes ago, RLWP said:

By choice, I would have a welded steel stove rather than a cast one. I have seen too many broken tops and backs

Richard

I struggle with a steel purely due to snobbish aesthetics I guess....but they aren't too much cheaper are they?....cast iron normally have 10yr warranty or does a split top not get covered?.......Genuine question as have no prior knowledge.

have to buy one in next few weeks to install before winter so keen to get it right, and happy to pay for the right stove, just hats the idea of them sitting happy charging 20% extra for no reason. :mellow:

36 minutes ago, dor said:

I've had a Stovax Brunel 1A for the last ten years.  When I bought it it was about £100 cheaper than the Squirrel and slightly smaller.  A good stove though and on smokeless fuel (Excel) it will stay in for close on 24 hours.

Not seen this make....will take a look :cheers:

53 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Hi all,

Am really sorry if I have missed a recent thread and happy to be pointed there but......does it have to be Morso?

I visited a website on stove which is similar to a big toys r us name and there are so many DEFRA Approved - does it have to be this for BSS or just for smokeless zones?

Does anyone have experience of other makes?.....I can't believe they're all bad....and the Squirrels I looked at are £650 - £850ish but many of these were £400-£600.

Last question, how do you identify if they are good or bad at being left on a low glow overnight?

Any thoughts or comments gratefully received :cheers:

Morso.....here endeth the lesson.

The issue about cracking is to do with installation.

It's very tempting to make the joint between the flue and the roof collar solid to keep water and smoke out. In fact, this joint needs to allow the flue to expand up as the fire heats it up. If it is solid, on a cast stove the flue expands down pressing on the top of the stove. Not good on a cast stove as it breaks the top - which won't be covered by warrantee as it is an installation issue.

Of course, a properly installed flue prevents this. Still, a cast iron stove is still a load of bits bolted together rather than a properly sealed box

Richard

1 minute ago, RLWP said:

The issue about cracking is to do with installation.

It's very tempting to make the joint between the flue and the roof collar solid to keep water and smoke out. In fact, this joint needs to allow the flue to expand up as the fire heats it up. If it is solid, on a cast stove the flue expands down pressing on the top of the stove. Not good on a cast stove as it breaks the top - which won't be covered by warrantee as it is an installation issue.

Of course, a properly installed flue prevents this. Still, a cast iron stove is still a load of bits bolted together rather than a properly sealed box

Richard

True....good advice for the roof joint

Just now, RLWP said:

I found this useful: http://www.soliftec.com/Boat Stoves 1-page.pdf

Richard

:cheers: - checking it out now

3 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Still not sure why Morso is £200 more than others :huh:

...right...3.30am start so off to bed....have a good weekend all and many thanks :cheers:

3.30am start :o what are you a bloomin burglar!!

• Haha 1

I replaced a knackered Squirrel with a cheap Boatman about four years ago.  I'm going back to a Squirrel and to hell with the cost, there's no comparison.  There is an issue with cast stoves on boats which is why I went for welded steel but as others have said it's mainly to do with the weight of the flue and to be fair to Morso they do say the pipe must not bear down on the top plate, ie it should be supported.  I've got two Squirrels at home both over 25 years old all original.

• Happy 1