Mattress Storage

jddevel

Featured Posts

As long as you have not blocked any BSS vents I would just stand it on is side towards the centre of the boat so air can circulate all around it and leave any hopper widows not above soft furnishings or adjacent to the mattress open.  I would not seal it in any airtight material because it is probably damp in the middle and this needs to dry out in case it goes mouldy.

29 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

We always stand ours on its side when we leave the boat to go home, summer or winter. It will always have a moisture content after you have slept on it. If I had a slatted base I would probably leave it on the bed.

If you didn’t have a slatted base or some other method of keeping it aired on the bed then I would sort this out, it doesn’t take that many nights of use for a mattress to have a high moisture content!

Edited by Robbo

42 minutes ago, Robbo said:

If you didn’t have a slatted base or some other method of keeping it aired on the bed then I would sort this out, it doesn’t take that many nights of use for a mattress to have a high moisture content!

We can't have a slotted base on ours due to the tankage and equipment beneath it. It is a solid base with access hatches. 

We have found putting dry mat underneath it works a treat.

Being a horizontal "Hideaway" bed the bed technically can either be left horizontal or vertical. However it`s unslatted base and proximity when upright to the cabin wall (ply but with a porthole) means that I`ll other further review "dry mat" as a possible or just stand it as suggested. As a 10"  thick full size double memory foam I don`t believe taking it home is a suitable option at the moment unless perhaps I vacuum pack it.

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

We can't have a slotted base on ours due to the tankage and equipment beneath it. It is a solid base with access hatches. 

We have found putting dry mat underneath it works a treat.

Thats what we use, ours is a bed flap so has to be solid, cross bed in back cabin

9 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

As a leisure user, take your boat out more in the winter - it's some of the best cruising you'll have... and your mattress will love you for it! :D

I was thinking that but left it for others to say. Winter cruising is way better than summer and has always amazed me why so many people don't seem to do it.

On 16/09/2017 at 19:18, mrsmelly said:

I was thinking that but left it for others to say. Winter cruising is way better than summer and has always amazed me why so many people don't seem to do it.

STFU or they'll all be doing it!

Edit to add: The K&A is shyte too, so best stay away. Ok?

(I think we might just have got away with that... Whaddayathink?)

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

23 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Winter cruising is way better than summer

I`m sure we will try it and I`m sure if our design had allowed for a solid fuel fire- which we enjoy at home - then cosy evenings would be a plus. Trouble is my wife and daughters` horses at home need extra attention during the winter months. Time will tell if it can all be fitted in.

We had problems with a damp mattress.

It was on a solid base with an integral poo tank below.

I made a pallet like structure to raise it (about 10mm) and faced the wall with the hardboard with patterned cutouts used for radiator covers.

No damp/mould problems since.

Dave