Stainless Steel Chminey

DaveR

Featured Posts

The 'plain steel' chimney for Legacy has finally given up the ghost. 

Having found out that there are many grades of stainless steel available, some of which do rust and corrode, is buying a stainless chimney from Midland (other suppliers are available) worth the extra outlay?

Thanks

Dave R

Edited by DaveR
more words needed

I would say " yes "

We have had the boat 4 years and are on our 3rd chimney because when we needed to replace the original chimney we went cheaper (but not by much ) and regretted it because it rusted through in less than 2 years ! We went with stainless steel this time and found Midland Chandlers to be as cheap as anywhere else . So far so good but we have only had it since Easter :D

I bought my stainless steel chimney from these   http://www.littlechimneycompany.co.uk/    4 years ago and it's still as good as new. They trade from their boat and his workshop is in a butty. They move around a bit but only usually on the Coventry Canal and you just need to phone him up to see whereabouts he is.

He has pre-made ones which are  usually a good fit but if you are boating down his way he will measure up and make one to fit perfectly. 

We are very pleased with our chimney.

25 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I bought my stainless steel chimney from these   http://www.littlechimneycompany.co.uk/    4 years ago and it's still as good as new. They trade from their boat and his workshop is in a butty. They move around a bit but only usually on the Coventry Canal and you just need to phone him up to see whereabouts he is.

He has pre-made ones which are  usually a good fit but if you are boating down his way he will measure up and make one to fit perfectly. 

We are very pleased with our chimney.

Superb, I will give him a call. Thank you

On 9/15/2017 at 11:16, Neil Smith said:

I went to a steel yard and got an off cut of mild steel pipe with 5mm wall thickness for a drink, should last years.

Neil

However if it is then a tight fit on to a cast collar, well attached to the boat, there is a good chance of serious damage if strike the chimney of a low bridge arch, (or even a solid low hanging branch that you would hope it would go under but didn't).

However expensive I think narrow boat chimneys (and vertical exhausts), need to be designed to be the bit that gives way in case of a mishap.  Something very unbend-able may have expensive consequences.

My boat has a Midland Swindlers stainless double skin chimney. Not sure how old it is, but at least six years. It is still going strong, but all the brass pretty bits have corroded away and fallen off. Maybe if I had polished them occasionally...

The only disadvantage of most grades of stainless steel is if you do knock it off on a low bridge, or tree branch and it lands in the cut, a sea searcher magnet won't get it back. Ask me how I know! a chain is a good idea.

I am now on chimney number three. One was sacrificed to the water spirits as above. Number two was a mild steel single skin and rusted through in no time at all.

Jen