Featured Posts

Having just opened, drained, re-painted and resealed my integral fresh water tank I took the opportunity to fit a "water gauge" that I dreamt up a few years ago, and it works.

I was fed up with filling up until water overflowed and not knowing how much was left apart from how wide the tide line on the hull was !

It may not be a new idea and if it isn't, I apologise in advance.  I thought I would share it anyway.

I drilled a hole in the well deck, towards one side, straight into the top of the tank, and fitted a nylon skin fitting with a 15mm hole through it. Inside the tank I fitted an aluminum tube, about 20 mm bore (from an old TV Ariel tube) which sits about 50mm above the floor of the tank. The tube is about 400mm long and split and clamped at the top to fit the outside of the tank fitting, using a stainless steel jubilee clip.

I then cut a 10mm diam' rod from wooden doweling, which drops into the bore of the skin fitting and down the tube, so about 6 inches sticks up when the end is resting on the floor of the tank. I marked a line on the stick to show "empty" and once filled with water, to about 3 inches from the top, marked another line to show "full".

Now I just drop the rod into the tank when filling and stop when the "full" mark appears. I also found a small rubber caravan sink plug that seals the skin fitting when not in use.

If I have missed anything just ask.

I also have a Bizzard-like cunning plan that I have never yet got round to.

I'm going to superglue a thin stick to a table tennis ball that will fit down into the filler hole.

Empty the tank and mark on the stick the "empty" point. Then fill the tank and mark the "full" point.

Then by simple measurement mark the 1/4 1/2 and 3/4 points. Possibly colour code the stick's sections so they can be read from a distance.

With a bit of luck, I'll be able to push the the contraption under the water and screw on the filler cap, so it stays in the tank permanently, until I next take off the cap.

It should then automatically pop up and tell me how much water is left.  

P.S. Patents pending, but will grant permission to copy for 1 doughnut or a cup of strong tea! :)

11 hours ago, Rebotco said:

I also have a Bizzard-like cunning plan that I have never yet got round to.

I'm going to superglue a thin stick to a table tennis ball that will fit down into the filler hole.

Empty the tank and mark on the stick the "empty" point. Then fill the tank and mark the "full" point.

Then by simple measurement mark the 1/4 1/2 and 3/4 points. Possibly colour code the stick's sections so they can be read from a distance.

With a bit of luck, I'll be able to push the the contraption under the water and screw on the filler cap, so it stays in the tank permanently, until I next take off the cap.

It should then automatically pop up and tell me how much water is left.  

P.S. Patents pending, but will grant permission to copy for 1 doughnut or a cup of strong tea! :)

Good idea but our filler is on the side of the bow and fills via a curved tube. I do need to make my stick more buoyant though (no rude remarks please) and I am looking for some air filled thing that is only 10mm diameter !!

12 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Yes you will forget where you put the stick :captain::giggles:

Probably. I have already made a spare, but forgot where I put it !

• Haha 1

This is what I use. It sounds a bit simpler than what you've made?

It's Td off the main water pipe before the pump. The valve at the top is just taped onto the pipe and it's normally kept closed. You just open the valve to take a reading, but you shouldn't open the valve while the pump is running otherwise air can get drawn into the system. As long as you remember that it's very easy to operate.

Edit: Some people on here suggested putting a small plastic float into the pipe, but it's easy enough to see the tank level without one and I don't want anything accidentally drawn into the pump. 

thumbnail_20170128_094236.jpg

20170128_151340 (1).jpg

Edited by blackrose

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

It's Td off the main water pipe before the pump. The valve at the top is just taped onto the pipe and it's normally kept closed. You just open the valve to take a reading, but you shouldn't open the valve while the pump is running otherwise air can get drawn into the system. As long as you remember that it's very easy to operate.

Edit: Some people on here suggested putting a small plastic float into the pipe, but it's easy enough to see the tank level without one and I don't want anything accidentally drawn into the pump. 

20170128_151340 (1).jpg

I Like it

20 hours ago, blackrose said:

20170128_151340 (1).jpg

This is a simple version of an oil tank contents sight tube, available from plumbers merchants. They incorporate a push button at the base of the tube which would prevent leaving the gauge open.

It's the most accurate water tank meter you can get!

I used 1m x 15mm clear acrylic tube available cheaply from ebay. My main water pipe from the tank is 15mm so I fitted a Speedfit (pushfit) 15mm equal T and then one of these valves taped on top. The clear tube is too thick to take the little pipe ferrules that you're supposed to use with pushfit fittings, but the pipe is rigid enough not to need one.

Image result for brass 15mm bleed valve

7 minutes ago, blackrose said:

It's the most accurate water tank meter you can get!

I used 1m x 15mm clear acrylic tube available cheaply from ebay. My main water pipe from the tank is 15mm so I fitted a Speedfit (pushfit) 15mm equal T and then one of these valves taped on top. The clear tube is too thick to take the little pipe ferrules that you're supposed to use with pushfit fittings, but the pipe is rigid enough not to need one.

Image result for brass 15mm bleed valve

That looks good. what type of valve is it?