Featured Posts

Where's DACE  Orginal number 318 FMC number

MY FREINDS WERE THE OWNERS OF THIS BOAT FROM 2001 2008

love to know where she is now please?

always 

wayes regretted selling her

8C57D4A3-4379-4323-A7AE-32C3D34054EE.JPG

Edited by bigcol

I do not know where this boat is, but just for information this boat was built in about 1997 by Warwickshire Fly Boat Company and took the identity of a boat that at that time was considered to be missing. This boat should not be confused with the former Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. motor of the same name and obviously the use of the F.M.C. Ltd. livery on the 1997 built boat is misleading :captain:

52 minutes ago, bigcol said:

I know the boat they had, had a old engine and mini wheel for steering.

it certainly looked like a a older boat

col

If I remember correctly the 1997 built DACE is powered by a Lister JP2, and you can often tell a boat is a replica as they are too straight as most old boats carry dents and imperfections from a hard working life :captain:

3 hours ago, pete harrison said:

I do not know where this boat is, but just for information this boat was built in about 1997 by Warwickshire Fly Boat Company and took the identity of a boat that at that time was considered to be missing. This boat should not be confused with the former Fellows, Morton and Clayton Ltd. motor of the same name and obviously the use of the F.M.C. Ltd. livery on the 1997 built boat is misleading :captain:

Much earlier than that Pete: 1997 didn't sound right to me so I looked out an old diary, I was working on the fit out in January 1991 (and earlier); looks like it was in Braunston for painting in June 1991. I remember Robert, the then owner asking me at the time if I thought the red & green chosen for the FMC colours looked correct. I pointed out I wasn't born until 1957 and the last genuine FMC paint job was done 10 years prior to that and that anyone who claims to be able to remember an exact shade of red/green from 50 years ago is probably lying.

The boat is, of course, recorded in my diary by it's working name "Haddock", to go with the butty which was to be named (inevitably)...go on, you can guess it.

Edited by davidg

I was the owner for a period having purchased it from Warwickshire fly boat in the late 90's and sold it in about 2006/7.

it was built as a replica of the original in 1991. The owners also bought an original butty, can't remember the name. They had it modified to take it across the channel where it cruised Europe for a couple of years before returning.

The boat was nicknamed "Haddock" by BW staff and others as a Micky take.

i had the boat repainted in about 2000 and had it sign written.

Brian Collings from Stoke Bruerne did an oil painting, which I still have showing how the original Dace would have looked in its working environment on the BCN.

The original. History and where it maybe now can be seen in detail http://hnbc.org.uk/boats/dace

the original engine was a Bolinder ended in Minnow, that I believe is still cruising the canal system and was an original from the 'Fish Class of FMC.

Regards

Ken Matthews

One of the contributors said the boat now had a Lister JP 2.....Correct, probably the only part built in 1936 

17 hours ago, davidg said:

The boat is, of course, recorded in my diary by it's working name "Haddock", to go with the butty which was to be named (inevitably)...go on, you can guess it.

3 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

The name haddock came from the boys at the flyboat who built her...we were there the butty was called....kipper

I thought the butty was going to be called "Chips".

23 hours ago, pete harrison said:

most old boats carry dents and imperfections from a hard working life :captain:

Aha! More evidence for our campaign to get Tawny recognised as a genuine working boat. She has been cross-winded many times and carries the evidence

Richard

22 hours ago, davidg said:

Much earlier than that Pete: 1997 didn't sound right to me so I looked out an old diary, I was working on the fit out in January 1991 (and earlier); looks like it was in Braunston for painting in June 1991. 

Ah, well this is what happens when I stick my nose into something I know nothing about (modern pleasure boats) - but at least I got the correct decade :captain: