Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble

Did you know Canal World is funded by our valued members? You may make a voluntary donation by clicking here

Mikexx

Mysterious object - what is it?

Featured Posts

Mikexx    4

As per topic title

Its in the flow side between calorifer and engine.

I've googled the numbers and letter and haven't comeup with anything.

Any ideas?

20170829_190856.jpg

20170829_190702.jpg

Jon12345    3

It's a check valve which allows water to only flow one way. Like a non return valve but Check Valves operate in a different way but perform the same job.

mross    277

If you Google "crane d140" you will find lots of info.  As said, it's a bronze swing check valve.

Mikexx    4
13 minutes ago, mross said:

If you Google "crane d140" you will find lots of info.  As said, it's a bronze swing check valve.

I genuinely thought I had put various combinations of letters and numbers into google and hadn't come up with anything.

Thanks, its purpose must be to make sure no hot water circulates into the engine when it's not running.

mross    277

I'm an engineer, so I knew which numbers would get results!  Also, the quotation marks make a big difference with Google.

nicknorman    1,971

Just to mention that the advantage of a swing check valve over the more normal Non-Return Valve (NRV) is that the pressure required to open the valve is much lower. The high pressure required to open a NRV often results in an annoying disparity between the flow rates of hot and cold taps when both are open at the same time,

WotEver    683
24 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

It has "Made in Gt Britain" on top and not "Made in China", so obviously rather old and been there for a while.

Jen

And will no doubt still be there and functioning well for many more years to come :)

Laurie.Booth    169
3 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Probably fitted to prevent thermo-syphoning backwards through the engine when it cools down at night.

It was actually fitted so that 30 years later we could talk about it on the internet which had not been invented yet.

:)

4 minutes ago, Laurie.Booth said:

It was actually fitted so that 30 years later we could talk about it on the internet which had not been invented yet.

<pedant_mode> Actually the internet was around 30 years ago, but the world wide web hadn't been invented yet. CWDF, if it had existed then would have been a bulletin board or some such.</pedant_mode>

• Greenie 1

Laurie.Booth    169
9 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

<pedant_mode> Actually the internet was around 30 years ago, but the world wide web hadn't been invented yet. CWDF, if it had existed then would have been a bulletin board or some such.</pedant_mode>

OK 34 years ago

Mikexx    4
11 hours ago, WotEver said:

And will no doubt still be there and functioning well for many more years to come :)

It has a  Nitrile Rubber disc, so after 30 years I would say its a close call.

Bobbybass    193

Yup...stops thermosyphoning. If you have a nice tank of hot water...you don't want it keeping your engine toasty    :-)

Edited by Bobbybass