Insurance covering use on tidal waters

magictime

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, starman said:

Sorry to sound like a GOM but isn't this one of those issues that's quickly resolved by phoning the insurance company rather than having a forum debate?

In the internet era people seem to have forgotten the phone

Had to Google GOM. All the people I rang didn't know what it meant.One thought it might be government of Mexico.

17 minutes ago, starman said:

Sorry to sound like a GOM but isn't this one of those issues that's quickly resolved by phoning the insurance company rather than having a forum debate?

In the internet era people seem to have forgotten the phone. 

FWIW we are with Craftinsure and I called them before doing the Wash and the Severn Estuary - I recall they wanted a few extra quid and use of a pilot. It was sorted in minutes. 

I  agree but we all must love forum debate or why else would you be here? I always ring and ask where on my insurance schedule it states the cover I need especialy when I was to venture round Trent falls.

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I  agree but we all must love forum debate or why else would you be here? I always ring and ask where on my insurance schedule it states the cover I need especialy when I was to venture round Trent falls.

Be careful. There are dragons there you know.

21 hours ago, magictime said:

Assuming the survey goes well we should become proud owners of a new boat next week, and obviously one of the first things we'll need to do is arrange insurance. I've been assuming we'd go with GJW again because we've had a good experience with them in the past, but unfortunately it seems their cover doesn't include use on tidal waters and we really want to do at least the Ribble Link and the trip to York. So: any recommendations for suitable cover?

I use lNavigators & General which cover the boat for non tidal waters of the UK but include inter- connecting tidal stretches for direct access to Inland Navigation systems.

By the way can I ask where is your new boat..?

3 minutes ago, magictime said:

Spoke to GJW this morning and they do indeed cover you for use on tidal stretches as long as you're only using them to travel between non-tidal stretches. Phew!

Say you were going from Nottingham down the Trent to Cromwell - onto the tidal section, up to Keadby, turned around and went back to Nottingham, do you think that is 'travelling between tidal stretches' ?

1 minute ago, Dalesman said:

I use lNavigators & General which cover the boat for non tidal waters of the UK but include inter- connecting tidal stretches for direct access to Inland Navigation systems.

By the way can I ask where is your new boat..?

Near Market Harborough at the minute.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Say you were going from Nottingham down the Trent to Cromwell - onto the tidal section, up to Keadby, turned around and went back to Nottingham, do you think that is 'travelling between tidal stretches' ?

I imagine they'd treat that as a cruise on tidal waters made for its own sake, but I don't know and don't intend to find out!

2 hours ago, Dalesman said:

(snip)

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I'd say that was an inter-connecting tidal stretch between Inland Navigation systems, and its status doesn't change if you enter and leave at the same point.

OTOH, our insurance, despite having almost the exact same wording, certainly wouldn't cover the tidal stretch between Bowling and Glasson! :D:D:D

Edited by Iain_S
Edit for speelin

On 9/13/2017 at 18:34, magictime said:

Thanks all. The cover is needed for a narrowboat (sorry, should have said).

Looks like the first thing to do is phone GJW and see if I've misinterpreted this line in the Ts and Cs:

You may travel along enclosed inland tidal stretches for the purposes only of entering or leaving the non-tidal system.

On the face of it, it would seem a bit odd to say you were transiting the tidal Trent (say) either to enter a system you were on to begin with, or to leave a system you were about to re-join!

I also insure with GJW but cannot find the highlighted line in my terms and conditions; I understand that you have already clarified with GJW that it will be OK on the tidal bits but the only reference I can find is on the certificate of insurance which states,"....CRUISING AREA:   United Kingdom inland waters....." with no reference to Tidal or otherwise. I remember when I used to insure with Towergate there was something about 'interconnecting tidal stretches' but that may well be on old T & C's. I wondered whether you are reading old T & C's. My understanding would be that provided you didn't venture onto Inshore Waters or Offshore Waters you'd be covered.

Just as an aside, when I wasn't sure about my cover with Towergate, my contact with them was by e-mail rather than phone call since that would give me documentary evidence of what was said rather than relying on something said on the phone which could be later either denied or interpreted differently, perhaps that's just me:rolleyes:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

16 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I also insure with GJW but cannot find the highlighted line in my terms and conditions; I understand that you have already clarified with GJW that it will be OK on the tidal bits but the only reference I can find is on the certificate of insurance which states,"....CRUISING AREA:   United Kingdom inland waters....." with no reference to Tidal or otherwise.

The woman I spoke to on the phone struggled to find it too, but it is there. It's also on the web page promoting narrowboat insurance, under "What type of insurance should I have?"

19 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Just as an aside, when I wasn't sure about my cover with Towergate, my contact with them was by e-mail rather than phone call since that would give me documentary evidence of what was said rather than relying on something said on the phone which could be later either denied or interpreted differently, perhaps that's just me:rolleyes:

No, I can see what you're saying. But she was so clear that yes, what I was describing was fine - no 'let me check with legal' or 'I think that would be OK' - it seemed pretty clear that's what's meant by the wording in question, even though I found it a little less than clear.

12 hours ago, magictime said:

The woman I spoke to on the phone struggled to find it too, but it is there. It's also on the web page promoting narrowboat insurance, under "What type of insurance should I have?"

No, I can see what you're saying. But she was so clear that yes, what I was describing was fine - no 'let me check with legal' or 'I think that would be OK' - it seemed pretty clear that's what's meant by the wording in question, even though I found it a little less than clear.

Always best to check with insurers as they will find any excuse to wriggle out of not paying up.

46 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Always best to check with insurers as they will find any excuse to wriggle out of not paying up.

GJW didn't quibble when we made a £3000 claim with them in 2014 for a break-in and vandalism of our previous boat, which is why we're so keen to go with them again. We just sent them a list of missing or damaged items and photos of the five smashed windows, and they paid out for all the contents and replacement of six windows (to avoid an 'odd one out').

4 hours ago, magictime said:

GJW didn't quibble when we made a £3000 claim with them in 2014 for a break-in and vandalism of our previous boat, which is why we're so keen to go with them again. We just sent them a list of missing or damaged items and photos of the five smashed windows, and they paid out for all the contents and replacement of six windows (to avoid an 'odd one out').

One of the guys on YBW had a plastic bag sucked into the raw water intake of his big diesel wrecked the engine GJW paid out over 10k no quibble. IMO they are the best of the insurance company's, my premium went DOWN by £100 or 1/3 this year.

On 13/09/2017 at 17:15, Alan de Enfield said:

I found that on Craftinsure, you have three options for cover, I tried each one in turn and it made no difference to the cost, so you may as well go with the 'best', as even with a NB the day may come when you want to use the River Humber, or cross the Wash and you know that you will be covered without any other calls etc necessary.

What are those 3 options? :huh: If you go to the Crafinsure hompage their quotations are issued by craft type. You could try to insure a narrow boat as a motor cruiser I suppose, but then you will quickly find that your "motor cruiser" must be under 50ft in length which will rule out a lot of narrow boats. 

http://www.craftinsure.com/aboutus/summaryofcover.asp#

On 13/09/2017 at 17:20, rusty69 said:

Are the options not craft type specific with craftinsure?

Yes that's correct.

Edited by blackrose

Bear in mind that the same insurer may be able to offer different options for cruising area limits, on the same base policy.

We are with Towergate and they gave us an unrestricted "coastal and inland waters of the UK" on the schedule. (We're a high-sided barge with a home mooring beyond the Thames Barrier).

Call each insurer and ask what their options are.

I have had this reply from Towergate

Good Afternoon,
We cover for tidal waters so long as you are getting from one river system to another for example you can travel along tidal stretches provided it is only to enter or leave the non tidal system. This Also covers broads and fens.
We cover for salvage of a vessel. We will attempt to bring the wreckage up however this is not always possible.
Any further queries please feel free to contact me.
Kind Regards
Fern Baldwin