Insurance covering use on tidal waters

magictime

Featured Posts

Assuming the survey goes well we should become proud owners of a new boat next week, and obviously one of the first things we'll need to do is arrange insurance. I've been assuming we'd go with GJW again because we've had a good experience with them in the past, but unfortunately it seems their cover doesn't include use on tidal waters and we really want to do at least the Ribble Link and the trip to York. So: any recommendations for suitable cover?

We use Towergate and  all we needed to do was to phone them and let them know when and where , the criteria was ' from one inland waterway to another'. Done Ribble twice , Salters lode to Denver sluice twice . Sharpness to Bristol once ( with pilot) and tidal Thames from Limehouse twice, and up from Brentford more often   . ...Bunny . 

11 minutes ago, Bunny said:

We use Towergate and  all we needed to do was to phone them and let them know when and where , the criteria was ' from one inland waterway to another'. Done Ribble twice , Salters lode to Denver sluice twice . Sharpness to Bristol once ( with pilot) and tidal Thames from Limehouse twice, and up from Brentford more often   . ...Bunny . 

I am with Towergate and it doesn't say that in the documents I have, its due for renewal and I emailed on this point yesterday and am waiting a reply.

I suppose we phone just to make sure . If there was a problem at least we know we checked. The company we originally insured with did ask us to phone, and charged us an extra £30  . We also crossed the Mersey last year with a pilot  and have traversed the Manchester ship canal 4 times  . Bunny 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Yes, I guess OP should specify what type of craft.

I found that on Craftinsure, you have three options for cover, I tried each one in turn and it made no difference to the cost, so you may as well go with the 'best', as even with a NB the day may come when you want to use the River Humber, or cross the Wash and you know that you will be covered without any other calls etc necessary.

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I found that on Craftinsure, you have three options for cover, I tried each one in turn and it made no difference to the cost, so you may as well go with the 'best', as even with a NB the day may come when you want to use the River Humber, or cross the Wash and you know that you will be covered without any other calls etc necessary.

Are the options not craft type specific with craftinsure?

1 hour ago, magictime said:

Assuming the survey goes well we should become proud owners of a new boat next week, and obviously one of the first things we'll need to do is arrange insurance. I've been assuming we'd go with GJW again because we've had a good experience with them in the past, but unfortunately it seems their cover doesn't include use on tidal waters and we really want to do at least the Ribble Link and the trip to York. So: any recommendations for suitable cover?

Have been with GJW for many years both the barge an NB (same type of policy) they have always covered me for tidal journeys between inland navigations, viz Thames to Medway, Crouch, Roach and Blackwater. All I had to do was call and advise dates of transit which in the end was a 6week window so I could go anytime.

Edited by Loddon

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I am with Towergate and it doesn't say that in the documents I have, its due for renewal and I emailed on this point yesterday and am waiting a reply.

We have a Towergate document from a number of years ago which sets out the limits of tidal uses, but I agree the info is hard to find in the standard policy documents. Essentially it is the tidal waterways for access as Rusty69 says. Specifically it allows us to do the Thames as far downstream as the Woolwich Barrier, providing we are in company with another craft and the weather is less than Force 4. They have on occasion allowed us to go further downriver to Barking Creek - sometimes they want an additional premium, sometimes not. (There are no restrictions on the Thames between Brentford and Teddington).

Thanks all. The cover is needed for a narrowboat (sorry, should have said).

Looks like the first thing to do is phone GJW and see if I've misinterpreted this line in the Ts and Cs:

You may travel along enclosed inland tidal stretches for the purposes only of entering or leaving the non-tidal system.

On the face of it, it would seem a bit odd to say you were transiting the tidal Trent (say) either to enter a system you were on to begin with, or to leave a system you were about to re-join!

52 minutes ago, magictime said:

Thanks all. The cover is needed for a narrowboat (sorry, should have said).

Looks like the first thing to do is phone GJW and see if I've misinterpreted this line in the Ts and Cs:

You may travel along enclosed inland tidal stretches for the purposes only of entering or leaving the non-tidal system.

On the face of it, it would seem a bit odd to say you were transiting the tidal Trent (say) either to enter a system you were on to begin with, or to leave a system you were about to re-join!

Presumably what that means is that you can transit the tidal sections for the purposes of getting from one non-tidal bit to another, but you are not permited to take out-and-back trips solely on the tidal sections.

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Are the options not craft type specific with craftinsure?

I would bet money that if for instance you left Liverpool for Ireland on a standard narrowboat if er no sorry when it sank they wouldn't pay out.

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

Presumably what that means is that you can transit the tidal sections for the purposes of getting from one non-tidal bit to another, but you are not permited to take out-and-back trips solely on the tidal sections.

You're probably right but the wording doesn't spell that out so clearly that I don't feel the need to check!

3 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Pretty similar to our cover area through Velos.

I think it is pretty standard cover. During the Summer the cover is extended Eastwards to include Scandinavia

Ashore or afloat on inland and coastal waters of the United Kingdom, Ireland, and continent of Europe, Brest to the River Elbe, including inland continental waterways North of 40º 30’ North, and West of 10º East. During the period 1st May to 30th September this area is extended from Bordeaux to Stavanger, including the Baltic not North or East of Stockholm

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think it is pretty standard cover. During the Summer the cover is extended Eastwards to include Scandinavia

Ashore or afloat on inland and coastal waters of the United Kingdom, Ireland, and continent of Europe, Brest to the River Elbe, including inland continental waterways North of 40º 30’ North, and West of 10º East. During the period 1st May to 30th September this area is extended from Bordeaux to Stavanger, including the Baltic not North or East of Stockholm

That's the one.

ETA: Not that we have any intention of using most of that cruising ground!

Edited by Naughty Cal

Talk to GJW about your requirements I was very surprised when they extended our cover I only wanted to go to river Orwell

The Territorial Limits are amended to: United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Europe, countries bordering the Mediterranean, the Caribbean 9 to 19 Degrees North 58 to 68 Degrees West, the Azores Cape Verde Islands, Canaries, Madeira, Bermuda, Australia, Cape Verde Islands, Canaries, Madeira, Bermuda, Australia, any of these countries.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Bricksh said:

I only wanted to go to river Orwell

The Territorial Limits are amended to: United Kingdom, Isle of Man, Channel Islands, Europe, countries bordering the Mediterranean, the Caribbean 9 to 19 Degrees North 58 to 68 Degrees West, the Azores Cape Verde Islands, Canaries, Madeira, Bermuda, Australia, Cape Verde Islands, Canaries, Madeira, Bermuda, Australia, any of these countries.

Lurv It !!!!!!

Sorry to sound like a GOM but isn't this one of those issues that's quickly resolved by phoning the insurance company rather than having a forum debate?

In the internet era people seem to have forgotten the phone. 

FWIW we are with Craftinsure and I called them before doing the Wash and the Severn Estuary - I recall they wanted a few extra quid and use of a pilot. It was sorted in minutes. 

• Happy 1