Plastic bags

Peter-Bullfinch

Featured Posts

Since March the only visits to my weedhatch have been precautionary ones on the Ribble Link and after a rather over enthusiastic foray a bit too far into the flash at the end of the Weaver. None of these trips down the hatch resulted in any debris being found. 

We have had many fewer items caught round the prop in the last year or so. Are we just being lucky or is the plastic bag charge scheme helping us out?

We are travelling  many hundreds of miles each year in both urban and rural parts of the system so we arent confining ourselves to the nice clean leafy bits.

I have not been down my weed hatch since last September, and that was on the BCN.

Boat is out the water at the minute for blacking and i had a look at the prop yesterday, a bit of rope and some kind of plastic, but nothing that is causing any issue with drive, although they will be cut off before going back in the drink.

I have never really suffered on the midlands canals, i think in 2.5 years i have only been down three times, twice on the BCN and once in Nuneaton.

I don't want to tempt fate :unsure: ... but I've only been down the 'atch 4 times in 7 years... first time was 3 days into my boating life when my own centre line fell off and I was too slow stopping the engine .. the other 3 times were in one afternoon on the Slough Arm about 4 years ago (never again) :cheers:

The Canal Clearance monthly trips on The Coventry Canal Society boat Panther is producing less plastic bags.

Now all we need to do is ban bikes and shopping trollies.  Last Sunday's session provided 6 bikes and 14 trollies on the stretch between bridges 10 and 8.  Interestingly we were being passed constantly by boats which obviously weren't touching them.  So depth isn't so much of an issue as many fear.

I read somewhere that the supermarkets are recording higher shop lifting loses.  It seems scrotes drop the odd high price item into their trolley and it accidently goes straight into the shopping bag they've taken in with them.

Since England's plastic bag tax has reduced usage by around 85% then I suppose it follows that there are likely to be fewer that end up in our waterways. However, the only plastic bag I ever had wrapped around my prop was an empty coal bag - at least that was the only one that caused any problem.

Edited by blackrose