Aerial

boatafloat

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, boatafloat said:

Hi Everyone on the Forum,

I am new to  river boating and would like to ask which is the best and most reliable tv aerial available to fit to my cruiser.

Thanks

I like the log/periodic type

Screwfix sell a mini one, which is ok in strong signal areas. 

Lots of people like the Moonraker dtv1000, but I have no experience of it. 

Edited by rusty69

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I like the log/periodic type

Screwfix sell a mini one, which is ok in strong signal areas. 

Lots of people like the Moonraker dtv1000, but I have no experience of it. 

We've been using a log periodic but it is a bit of pain as it has to be on a reasonably high pole (a couple of metres high) so then it has to be 'demountable' when cruising (low bridges on canals). Coupled with knowing the direction to point it - using a phone app - we have not had problems getting strong digital signals ie HD freeview.

This morning however....I forked out for the moonraker as all I have heard is good reviews. I will post something early next week when I have had chance to see how it works - likely I will mount it on same pole as the 4G/wifi antennas - so only one pole to dismount.

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It might be pretty and it might be simple to use but it can't possibly be as good as a decent log periodic. 

I agree, it probably isn't, but I have no experience of using one. 

I have two log/periodic type aerials. The screwfix one generally only gets good reception near to a transmitter, where as the larger one works much further away as one would expect. 

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It might be pretty and it might be simple to use but it can't possibly be as good as a decent log periodic. 

The simple answer is they arnt, however I have 2 of them one for the boat and one for the day van, they work ok for the most part, in winter even at my moorings they give a good picture [leaves stop signal], at the mooring I have a normal aerial and that sometimes suffers movement in high wind giving a dodgy picture. I have in the past used a normal aerial on the move but they are such a pain and get damaged or in the way, so for me its the DTV1000 and fingers crossed

59 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

We've been using a log periodic but it is a bit of pain as it has to be on a reasonably high pole (a couple of metres high) so then it has to be 'demountable' when cruising (low bridges on canals). Coupled with knowing the direction to point it - using a phone app - we have not had problems getting strong digital signals ie HD freeview.

I agree about the pole, but I've never used a phone app to point the aerial -- it just needs a little awareness of the direction the boat is pointing (look at the map!) and anyway you can usually spot where the aerials on houses are pointing!

Even when cruising in unfamiliar waters you're unlikely to move from one transmitter to another very often.

I seem to be on a triple point between the North West, Wales and Midlands.   It's definitely North West where I moor, but a few miles one way and Wales is the stronger signal, a few mile the other way and it is Midlands, so I often have to retune.

I've used a wiggly wire Omnimax and it is not often I can't get a decent signal (particularly since the analogue transmitters were shot down), and then I can normally get a good satellite signal.

Not saying the Omnimax is the best, but it is probably the least hassle and it can stay on the roof unless I have put it up on a pole which I sometimes do.

1 hour ago, dor said:

I've used a wiggly wire Omnimax and it is not often I can't get a decent signal (particularly since the analogue transmitters were shot down), and then I can normally get a good satellite signal.

I like the bit from the link provided by @WotEver

if you get a good picture off an Omni TV aerial it`s because you`re in a good signal area. In fact I reckon that a coat hanger (a metal one, obviously….) would work just as well, actually, it may well work better. The fact is that in a poor signal area an Omni TV aerial is about as much use as a 2nd World War Italian Kamikaze squadron*

The Moonraker is very very good - the only other decent option is the log periodic which is rather unwieldy on a small cruiser like ours. Omnis are truly awful - from caravan /motorhome experience with them you would have better results with a wire coathamger! Waste of time and money -if they work, you probably didn't need an aerial as the signal was so strong! 

Edited by Sunflower16

Digital TV "on the move" is difficult whether on land or canal.........my car has a tv tuner and with analogue it was great on the move, but once analogue died, digital signals are really flakey - if there is a poor signal you see nothing, not even a blurry pic like the old analogue  ones used to do.   Anyway, a long pole off a boat on the move is also likely to be a problem.......even log periodics have to be correctly positioned to pick up a decent picture so winding around twists and bends isn't going to help!  You could even inadvertantly "reposition" it when it hits a bridge or a low hanging branch........

Meant to add.......shouldn't be watching telly if you are steering!  And those indoors can use a dvd until moored if desperate! 

Edited by Sunflower16

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I like the bit from the link provided by @WotEver

if you get a good picture off an Omni TV aerial it`s because you`re in a good signal area. In fact I reckon that a coat hanger (a metal one, obviously….) would work just as well, actually, it may well work better. The fact is that in a poor signal area an Omni TV aerial is about as much use as a 2nd World War Italian Kamikaze squadron*

Although in fairness, firstly the article was written before analogue shutdown and mostly refers to receiving an analogue signal.  Secondly, the writer is in the business of selling aerials.  He does admit in the digital addenum that since the changeover, it is harder to get locked onto the digital signal.

I have travelled around a fair bit, and it is not often I don't get an acceptable signal with the Omnimax.  Not always I agree, and I can usually get the sat. dish set up in a couple of minutes or just watch a DVD or listen to the radio.

Note the Omnimax is used without a booster; I do however have a Samsung TV which has a very good tuner.

We have the DM log 18 which is the smaller version of the DM log periodic from ATV aerials in Sheffield.  I only got the smaller one because they didn't have the full size version in stock at the time but I've never got around to upgrading because we hardly ever have any trouble getting a signal with the tiny DM18.  And it fits in the bow locker.  

It's important to get the polarisation right, ie whether the aerial elements should be horizontal or vertical, all you have to do is remember to look at the aerials in the locality where you moor up. 

3 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Mercury with a built in amplifier, available on ebay for around £20.

That's what I have; the one that's almost round. Didn't have high hopes for it but it works really well. I just have it on the boat's roof whereas others in the boatyard seem to be using poles. 

We've gone from: TV aerial on a stick (meh) to satellite (bit of a faff), and now to an Omnimax with the RF booster (no mounting/demounting, feeds two TVs).

Its a rare mooring where we get no TV channels. The key thing is the Maxview signal booster- without it it's cr*p. Unlike a previous poster we always retune at a new location.