BMC parts compatibility

johnrees

Featured Posts

Hi everyone, particularly BMC engine gurus. Is anyone able to provide a definitive list of late 1.8 diesel parts that are common with the 18v type MGB petrol engine, for example oil pump, timing gears and chain etc. Many thanks John.

Before you even go down that route, you need to know if the 1.8 diesel you are talking about is an original BMC made British one, or one of the later models made in Turkey, (which a lot of the ones supplied in marinised state by people like Calcutt were).

There are quite a few bits that are incompatible between the two, I think, including bits as basic as the unions that go into the cylinder head to feed a heater/calorifier, (different threads).

I've never been there, but I think one of the things the Turkish engine has different is the timing chain - I could be wrong on that though.

I don't know how different, but I have fallen foul of it.

I only raised it because you mentioned timing chain, which I thought I had heard differed on the Turkish engines.

However looking at the Calcutt online site they only seem to list one.

http://calcuttboatsshop.com/epages/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/c3a6cb0f-3e0f-4132-9636-974f7502e04d/Products/ED62H210

Worth checking though, before assming they are all the same.

I think that the main differences between the Turkish and Brummie BMC's will be metric threads, at least on some items like unions. The British ones all use UNF/UNC imperial threads, with occasional BSP pipe thread on things like sump plugs.

As well as looking at the BMC "B series" petrol engine for common parts, the BMC 1.5 diesel has a lot of similarities, as the 1.8 was developed directly from it (bigger bore mainly)

The bigger 2.2/2.5 litre and 3.4/3.8 litre BMC's, often found marinised for use in bigger boats, share very little in common with these smaller brothers.

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, RLWP said:

What are you trying to do, John?

Richard

Make an engine out of a pile of random bits, it sounds like.

This is the true origin of the term 'diesel engine'. The builder grabs a pile of random bit and shouts "Deez-ul do". Hence the engine becomes known as a 'diesel'.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Make an engine out of a pile of random bits, it sounds like.

Some have claimed this to be a core business of Calcutt Marine for many years! :P

Edited by alan_fincher

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Some might say all  BMC engines are built this way, not just Calcutts!

In fairness we must have travelled somewhere between 7000 and 8000 miles on ours, I think, and it was generally very reliable.  Before our ownership it had run a full 10 years with a wholly inadequate skin tank, but once we had that rebuilt it worked well and reliably.  Eventually it was running a bit rough, and the diagnosis was a failed head gasket and cracked head, but these were undoubtedly symptoms of the poor skin tank, not inherent flaws in the engine itself.  Once the head was sorted, it then ran well throughout the remainder of our ownership, and was declared in good order by the buyer's surveyor when we sold the boat.

It had been a Calcutt reconditioned engine when the boat was built, and was at 20 years since the rebuild when we sold the boat.

I'm not convinced Isuzus, Betas, etc will on the whole do any better than that over a long service life.  I'd be prepared to own another.

We had an Indian sourced Calcutt BMC 1.8 in our second shareboat.  It lasted over 13,000 hours. The Mitsubishi 1.4 in our first shareboat only lasted 10,000 hours.

I have seen plant equipment powered by Isuzu's and Kubota's with over 30,000 hours on them, despite a lifetime of abuse. I would expect them to last at least as long having an easy time pushing a narrowboat along.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys can anyone help me??? I am trying to find a starter motor for a 2.2 bmc in my narrowboat. I had it replaced recently but they have put the wrong starter motor on and now they dont think they have the original for part numbers! If anyone can tell me what starter motor to look for or better yet if anyone has one for sale it would be most appreciated! Thanks guys.

Hi, I can probably help you with BMC 2.2 part numbers and quite possibly with a (correct) motor too. You have to get not only the right motor but the right number of teeth on the pinion!

However, I'm away at present, and not back until next Monday, so let me know if you can wait and still need it then. Cheers, David