Top Bend / Gunwale Paint

Jim Batty

Featured Posts

I'm looking to cover the top bends -- below gunwale and above rubbing strake -- of our boat.

I shared a lock with a good looking example of semi-gloss black. The owner painted it himself and used Epifanes Multiforte. He says that it is easy to touch up, and only needed one coat over the previous paint.

Anybody used Multiforte on their boat?

Another alternative I have had recommended is Hempel Multicoat satin black. Primer and top coat in one. 

Any thoughts on this one?

14 hours ago, luggsy said:

I have just painted mine used black county Matt grey at the bow then blacking then back to grey 

IMG_3263.JPG

IMG_3264.JPG

IMG_3265.JPG

Nice paintwork. Very sophisticated.

Are you tied up to the long button fender mount because the dollies have just been painted?!

We've just had the hull Hempel 2-packed, which is  close-to-but-not-quite-glossy black. Not matt grey like our previous Dacrylate 2-pack. Thus the urge to spruce it up.

4 hours ago, ianali said:

Our boats gunnels are painted with epifanes, did it myself when it was in dry dock a year ago. It is hard wearing and doesn't fade. Very easy to apply and very easy to touch up. Excellent paint but not cheap. Ian.

Hi Ian

Would that be the Multiforte I mentioned at the top -- semi-gloss, also suitable for decks and roofs?

4 hours ago, Jim Batty said:

Nice paintwork. Very sophisticated.

Are you tied up to the long button fender mount because the dollies have just been painted?!

We've just had the hull Hempel 2-packed, which is  close-to-but-not-quite-glossy black. Not matt grey like our previous Dacrylate 2-pack. Thus the urge to spruce it up.

Hi Ian

Would that be the Multiforte I mentioned at the top -- semi-gloss, also suitable for decks and roofs?

It is multiforte. Not sure its semi gloss, can't remember what it said on tin. Looks like satin to me but maybe its the same finish? Will be back on boat tomorrow il let you know.

Ian.

5 minutes ago, ianali said:

It is multiforte. Not sure its semi gloss, can't remember what it said on tin. Looks like satin to me but maybe its the same finish? Will be back on boat tomorrow il let you know.

Ian.

Raddle?

3 hours ago, luggsy said:

Yep wet paint

I thought you were checking the weak link

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Hull blacking right up to the outer edge of the gunwhale.

Your'll do form me Tommy