Webasto 90st with a 60 a day habit

davids3511

Featured Posts

49 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That's an interesting point. They are designed to run on white diesel apparently. Red diesel used to be slightly different, but nowadays I believe it is exactly the same but for the dye. 

In my earlier post I suggested running it on paraffin for a while. We had a Mikuni which displayed similar symptoms as the OP's heater, after exhaustive efforts to cure it which even included replacing the electronic control box and even breaking the seal on the fuel pump transistor and adjusting the speed I gave up. Shortly  thereafter it miraculously cured itself over a period of a few weeks, the only thing that had changed was the introduction of low sulphur red diesel (ULSD) at that time in 2009, which co-incided with a drastic reduction in reported probs on this forum with these sort of heaters. I believe high sulhur diesel is still available. 

I still think that plugging a charger into the customers electricity supply to charge the batteries and power the Webasto, as I suggested in post #50, is the best option.

As the OP already has the batteries and charger he would only need an extension lead protected by a RCD. 

4 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I still think that plugging a charger into the customers electricity supply to charge the batteries and power the Webasto, as I suggested in post #50, is the best option.

As the OP already has the batteries and charger he would only need an extension lead protected by a RCD. 

Batteries fully charged this morning and unit won't start without smoke. 

Last night I tried plugging in charger and powering up unit and it made no difference. 

Edited by davids3511

Are you absolutely certain that last night and today's smoking isn't caused by unburnt fuel from yesterday? 

I seem to recall NMEA of this parish (an authorised Webasto agent) saying that automotive spec Webastos suffered problems at higher voltages,  compared to marine spec ones because  of different control units.

If so, then try to measure the voltage at both ends of the supply cables (battery end a date heater end). If that shows little voltage drop,  then it is time to look at the fuel pump and filters.

Edited by cuthound

• 1 month later...

Yes thanks for the update and feedback.

So, risking igniting another of those endless debates on here, what what's the difference between diesel and kerosene? I thought they were the same now. 

What is kerosene anyway? Where would one buy it and what use is it normally sold for?

10 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So, risking igniting another of those endless debates on here, what what's the difference between diesel and kerosene? I thought they were the same now. 

What is kerosene anyway? Where would one buy it and what use is it normally sold for?

The viscosity.

Diesel is 35 second oil, kerosene is 28 second oil.

The old British standard used to classify oil according how long a given amount took to flow through a hole of a specified size at a given temperature.

Kerosene is heating oil (you ought to know that given your job :D)

One can buy both at a fuel oil supplier (kerosene is usually delivered in bulk to home heating tanks).

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

According to Wikipedia, kerosene=paraffin=lamp oil=jet fuel. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerosene

Isn't it the stuff we used to buy from hardware stores in my youth to fill household heaters? "Dum dum dum DUM, Esso blue!"

Nowadays, you'd have to nip down to your local airport with your 5litre can and say "Please, mister, um..."

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The viscosity.

Diesel is 35 second oil, kerosene is 28 second oil.

The old British standardsadeghi@diverse-ia.co.uk used to classift oilvaccording how long a given amount took to flown through a hole of a specified size at a given temperature.

Kerosene is heating oil (you ought to know that given your job :D)

One can buy both t a fuel Lily supplier (usually delivered in bulk to me hesting tanks).

Oh yeah, I remember now. Thanks!

In my defence, I never deal with oil in my job. I'm a gas bod.

9 minutes ago, Neil Smith said:

I was told you can run a webasto on just kerosene and it dose not soot up like diesel and a lot cheaper than supermarket diesel.

Neil

Kerosene definately burns cleaner than both gas oil (red diesel) and DERV (white road diesel), but being less viscous, I would have have thought the Webasto would need recalibrating to run effectively on kerosene.  

I know this is the case with diesel drip stoves, where using kerosene on one set up for gas oil causes too much fuel gets into the burner pot unless th regulator is recalibrated. 

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Kerosene definately burns cleaner than both gas oil (red diesel) and DERV (white road diesel), but being less viscous, I would have have thought the Webasto would need recalibrating to run effectively on kerosene.  

I know this is the case with diesel drip stoves, where using kerosene on one set up for gas oil causes too much fuel gets into the burner pot unless th regulator is recalibrated. 

Perhaps just a smaller jet, NMEA would probably be able to advise.

Neil