Webasto 90st with a 60 a day habit

davids3511

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, davids3511 said:

I've got two new 115ah batteries, I'll just charge them every night. 

Assuming that you use them 5 days a week every week then I'd expect the batts to just about last a year as long as they get up to 100% charged overnight. 

No smoke Friday or Saturday. Today at about 6 hours into the day it starts to smoke. Batteries were fine at about 12.5v. Wrecked my head for the late afternoon and then I noticed the diesel level in the tank was low, down to about 3 inches above the outlet. As the tank is mounted about 3.5m from the pump I wondered if the tank needed to be near full to increase the flow of diesel to the pump. Filled the tank at about 5.30 and its been running smoke free since then. I guess the message is when webasto say to mount the pump with no more than 2m intake fuel line run they really mean it. These machines are really highly strung and you need to follow the instructions.

On 18/09/2017 at 20:02, davids3511 said:

No smoke Friday or Saturday. Today at about 6 hours into the day it starts to smoke. Batteries were fine at about 12.5v. Wrecked my head for the late afternoon and then I noticed the diesel level in the tank was low, down to about 3 inches above the outlet. As the tank is mounted about 3.5m from the pump I wondered if the tank needed to be near full to increase the flow of diesel to the pump. Filled the tank at about 5.30 and its been running smoke free since then. I guess the message is when webasto say to mount the pump with no more than 2m intake fuel line run they really mean it. These machines are really highly strung and you need to follow the instructions.

- COUGH -

The advice offered (but rejected) in post 27 would probably have revealed this fault.

On 9/19/2017 at 00:22, Mike the Boilerman said:

- COUGH -

The advice offered (but rejected) in post 27 would probably have revealed this fault.

Smoking again today after 6 hours of working fine. Isolated it from the fuel tank and line. Used a jerry can and spare hose about 3 foot long. Made no difference. I don't understand why its working for hours and then stopping. It's making a coughing noise and belching out thick smoke. Getting really annoying now!

When I had the fault codes read there was a fuel supply fault which they said may be down to the low voltage reading. Wondering now if I've got a duff pump.

17 minutes ago, davids3511 said:

Two brand new batteries in there though. 115ahx2 and the equipment I am using (- webasto) draws only about 5ah an hour. Could me taking 30ah from the batteries make that much difference?

I'd say you're looking through the wrong end of the telescope. The evidence suggests yes it IS making that much of a difference!

I think however it is more likely you are not fully charging the batteries overnight and even though they are new, they are significantly down on capacity now. What charger are you using? Make and model please? And how are you determining when they are 'fully charged'? 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say you're looking through the wrong end of the telescope. The evidence suggests yes it IS making that much of a difference!

I think however it is more likely you are not fully charging the batteries overnight and even though they are new, they are significantly down on capacity now. What charger are you using? Make and model please? And how are you determining when they are 'fully charged'? 

I know what you're saying, everything points to something that diminishes over the day and that's the battery. Im using this - https://www.tayna.co.uk/CTEK-M200-12-Volt-Marine-Battery-Charger-P7794.html every night and I'm determining its charged when the charger tells me it is. I'm not using a multimeter.

It looks as though your Webasto is "mission critical" so I think you should have a quick search on Ebay for a diagnostic lead and software.  They are widely available for not much more than you paid for the diagnostics last time, and you only need a cheapo netbook to run it.  That will enable you to see what is going on with your heater in real time, read the fault codes yourself and test individual components.

Just now, Boredrider said:

It looks as though your Webasto is "mission critical" so I think you should have a quick search on Ebay for a diagnostic lead and software.  They are widely available for not much more than you paid for the diagnostics last time, and you only need a cheapo netbook to run it.  That will enable you to see what is going on with your heater in real time, read the fault codes yourself and test individual components.

No way, I though they'd be thousands the way everything else with 'Webasto' on it costs the earth. Will look now, cheers.

1 hour ago, davids3511 said:

I know what you're saying, everything points to something that diminishes over the day and that's the battery. Im using this - https://www.tayna.co.uk/CTEK-M200-12-Volt-Marine-Battery-Charger-P7794.html every night and I'm determining its charged when the charger tells me it is. I'm not using a multimeter.

Hmmm Ctek seem to be well regarded but the data sheet gives nothing away about how it decides the battery is fully charged. I suspect it isn't.

I'd suggest getting a multimeter and measuring the supply voltage at the Webasto end of the supply cable twice in a day. Firstly after say ten minutes of running (assuming no problems), then again after say five hours of use or just before you think it is going to play up. Post the two results up here when you've done this.

Edit to add the emphasis.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

25 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Hmmm Ctek seem to be well regarded but the data sheet gives nothing away about how it decides the battery is fully charged. I suspect it isn't.

I'd suggest getting a multimeter and measuring the supply voltage at the Webasto end of the supply cable twice in a day. Firstly after say ten minutes of running (assuming no problems), then again after say five hours of use or just before you think it is going to play up. Post the two results up here when you've done this.

Edit to add the emphasis.

Ok, will try tomorrow. It's not that easy to get at.

10 minutes ago, davids3511 said:

Ok, will try tomorrow. It's not that easy to get at.

Which leads me to another thought. At 5A current draw how thick are the supply cables? If not nice and fat (technical term), fitting much fatter cables might make all the difference given automotive webastos are dead picky about their supply voltage.

9 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Note that Tony means "turn it off and back on" :)

Lol very true!

And to clarify, turning a charger OFF then back ON forces it to re-start the charging sequence so if it goes into (non-charging) 'float' way too early and at about 90% SoC, as most do, it gives you another bite at the cherry. 

42 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Which leads me to another thought. At 5A current draw how thick are the supply cables? If not nice and fat (technical term), fitting much fatter cables might make all the difference given automotive webastos are dead picky about their supply voltage.

I was thinking that, they are not that heavy duty. Another issue is that the leads on the charger are long, about 2 meters. That cant be great either.

2 minutes ago, nb Innisfree said:

OP, what fuel are you using, is it red diesel? 

That's an interesting point. They are designed to run on white diesel apparently. Red diesel used to be slightly different, but nowadays I believe it is exactly the same but for the dye.