Fazeley Junction

Graham and Jo

Featured Posts

I was wondering something similar when winding in the wind at Walsall on the BCN Challenge this year.

OK, TBH I was wondering if the boat's insurance would cover damage to the the window, damages to persons eating behind it etc etc if 'RW's' bow made an unwelcome entrance into the restaurant.

The people on the other side of the glass seemed to be 'wondering' too!

DSCF3003.JPG

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

It's been there about 3 years and no one has managed it yet. 

The building houses vulnerable teenagers, and it is apparently to stop them from accidentally falling into the canal.

I thought it was for autistic people? A teenager being "vulnerable" surely doesn't make them particularly likely to fall in?

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Possibly, our local paper said it was a home for vulnerable teenagers, as part of their preparation for life on their own.

Haha well if so, whoever thinks that wrapping them within a glass fence just in case they don't know the danger of water is a good preparation for life in the big bad world, needs a brain transplant!

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Horace42 said:

...can't get round in one go...?  have you got a   v - e - r - y   l - o - n - g   b - o - a - t  ?

I have encountered no difficulty getting my 70' boat (no bow thruster) around in one go.

I don't know if it is the solution for everyone but I go slowly.

42 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

...can't get round in one go...?  have you got a   v - e - r - y   l - o - n - g   b - o - a - t  ?

That is a somewhat childish and immature comment. I report what happened, perhaps I can do better next time. I did indeed make it round in one go coming back the other way but my comment on the nature of the glass barrier stands. 

Graham

3 minutes ago, Graham and Jo said:

That is a somewhat childish and immature comment. I report what happened, perhaps I can do better next time. I did indeed make it round in one go coming back the other way but my comment on the nature of the glass barrier stands. 

Graham

It's a bit confusing because you said "coming from the South" in your OP. Coming from the South means you are coming along the B&F. It is therefore very difficult to see how your bow fender could be anywhere near the glass.

But if you meant coming from the East - from the Glascote direction on the Coventry - and turning left onto the B&F then it can be a bit squeaky. The bridge just before the junction is very narrow and thus not easy to start the turn until the stern is clear, by which time the bows are getting a bit close to the glass. I find that it makes a huge difference how you go through that bridge - if you can get the boat at a bit of an angle to the left as you go through, it makes the turn much easier. A lot of people don't notice the in-fill on the left at just above water level, and bounce their bow off it thus putting the boat at completely the wrong angle to make it round in one go.

10 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

It's a bit confusing because you said "coming from the South" in your OP. Coming from the South means you are coming along the B&F. It is therefore very difficult to see how your bow fender could be anywhere near the glass.

But if you meant coming from the East - from the Glascote direction on the Coventry - and turning left onto the B&F then it can be a bit squeaky. The bridge just before the junction is very narrow and thus not easy to start the turn until the stern is clear, by which time the bows are getting a bit close to the glass. I find that it makes a huge difference how you go through that bridge - if you can get the boat at a bit of an angle to the left as you go through, it makes the turn much easier. A lot of people don't notice the in-fill on the left at just above water level, and bounce their bow off it thus putting the boat at completely the wrong angle to make it round in one go.

You're right, clearly I'm slightly directionally challenged. I struggled with the turn onto the B&F from the Glascote direction requiring a bit of reverse to sort it out but got round in one go coming off the B&F. 

Cheers Graham

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

Trevor Maggs would have no problem. 

Just curious as to why you would make what I take as sarcastic remarks on the boating skills or otherwise of someone who in a different thread you said you had never heard of never mind met.if it"s tongue in cheek a smiley may be in order

8 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

Just curious as to why you would make what I take as sarcastic remarks on the boating skills or otherwise of someone who in a different thread you said you had never heard of never mind met.if it"s tongue in cheek a smiley may be in order

I appreciate that to leading figures in the cult it will seem blasphemous, but to normal people it was a joke. Or are you saying the post is wrong and Trevor WOULD have a problem? Or is it just mentioning his name the offence (like in Judaism)?

24 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I appreciate that to leading figures in the cult it will seem blasphemous, but to normal people it was a joke. Or are you saying the post is wrong and Trevor WOULD have a problem? Or is it just mentioning his name the offence (like in Judaism)?

Oh dear, Nick, you really are plumbing the depths with your penis envy of working boats.  Trevor is a gentleman of the first order and would be sad if he knew his name was being used like this.

Better return to your Hudson with its copy Josher working boat Aladdin's slipper bows.

George

cc Goliath

6 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Oh dear, Nick, you really are plumbing the depths with your penis envy of working boats.  Trevor is a gentleman of the first order and would be sad if he knew his name was being used like this.

Better return to your Hudson with its copy Josher working boat Aladdin's slipper bows.

George

cc Goliath

I don't see anything here that makes any slight on Trevor or his personality. I've never met him but happy to take your word that he is a gentleman of the first order. But let's hope he doesn't take himself as seriously as you do! He might even have a sense of humour!

Edited by nicknorman

2 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I don't see anything here that makes any slight on Trevor or his personality. I've never met him but happy to take your word that he is a gentleman of the first order. But let's hope he doesn't take himself as seriously as you do! He might even have a sense of humour!

I know you have one just looking at Hudson bows! :-)

George

51 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

I took it at face value, as a compliment from Gol and as probably a true statement. I have seen Mr.Maggs thread his way through a heavily-trafficked Braunston in his 71-foot-ish boat where my 45-footer almost feared to tread, so I shouldn't think that he would have too much difficulty negotiating this bend.