PRM 120 Drain Plug

Col_T

Featured Posts

The boat has a PRM 120 gearbox installed, and the workshop manual for the gearbox shows that the magnetic drain plug has a "bonded seal" between the gearbox housing and the drain plug itself. I am guessing that this seal should be replaced after changing the oil, but the manual gives no dimensions for this.

So, can anyone advise the dimensions and material of the bonded seal, please?

9 minutes ago, Silebyman said:

The drain plug is underneath the gearbox, and you need to be a contortionist to get the plug out without a struggle.

I managed to get the oil all over my shoes when I drained my gearbox.:blush:

Welcome to my world...

2 minutes ago, mross said:

Probably quicker and easier to suck oil out with a pump.  Hand-operated vacuum pumps are made for this.

Problem with the PRM 150 (not sure if it also applies to the PRM 120) is that there is a web directly below the dip stick hole, making it difficult to get the hose from the pump right to the bottom of the gearbox.

If this is the case it it best to get out as much oil as you can. Refill, run the engine in gear for another couple of minutes and then change the oil again.