Trojan batteries Hydrolink watering system

jenevers

Featured Posts

Not sure about the specific one you're looking at but we had something similar to this... http://www.bfsgmbh.de/en/system.html

Water was supplied by a 20 L reservoir via tubes and float valves to each cell. One of the valves stuck and flooded the battery, which overflowed, thankfully into the steel battery container (bund) which I could flush out. I took the whole thing out and resorted to checking and topping up manually.

3 hours ago, Boaty Jo said:

Not sure about the specific one you're looking at but we had something similar to this... http://www.bfsgmbh.de/en/system.html

Water was supplied by a 20 L reservoir via tubes and float valves to each cell. One of the valves stuck and flooded the battery, which overflowed, thankfully into the steel battery container (bund) which I could flush out. I took the whole thing out and resorted to checking and topping up manually.

Looks similar. Did the water have to be pressured in or was it just gravity fed?

No experience of an automatic watering system but I only need to top our Trojans up twice a year. So if there is a worry about a float sticking and flooding, one could simply keep the reservoir mostly empty and only put enough water in for a top-up every now and again. Manually watering 4xT105s only takes a few minutes thanks to the bayonet caps and 6 cells per battery, but I appreciate that for some people it's an accessibility issue.

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No experience of an automatic watering system but I only need to top our Trojans up twice a year. So if there is a worry about a float sticking and flooding, one could simply keep the reservoir mostly empty and only put enough water in for a top-up every now and again. Manually watering 4xT105s only takes a few minutes thanks to the bayonet caps and 6 cells per battery, but I appreciate that for some people it's an accessibility issue.

You have 12v Trojans then?

2 hours ago, Boaty Jo said:

Gravity.

This is similar to the system I had.

battery bank.jpg

That's looks like what I need to do.

It's the black connection between the water supply and the tubing to the batteries that's got me puzzled, as the valve seems to need a lot of pressure to open.

2 hours ago, Boaty Jo said:

Gravity.

This is similar to the system I had.

battery bank.jpg

If the batteries are that accessible I don't think I'd bother with an automatic system. It's not like they require topping up weekly or even monthly. 

I have a hose lock pressure sprayer tank for my tractions as no room above for filling manually or for gravity tank, if the yellow indicators cant be seen I give a few pumps and they pop up to the full state then I let the air out, you can leave it pressurised for a full automatic system but I prefer the hands on check.

Neil

On 12/09/2017 at 09:12, jenevers said:

That's looks like what I need to do.

It's the black connection between the water supply and the tubing to the batteries that's got me puzzled, as the valve seems to need a lot of pressure to open.

On mine, the valve was pushed open when you made the connection. I had a bit of grief from sticking valves, certainly wouldn't want to leave the system on automatic. My Trojans needed watering at least once a month, another reason for emulating Gibbo and settling for cheapos.