Windows 10 is actually a virus, discuss

reg

Featured Posts

8 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Like I said, I haven't a lot of knowledge of the workings of the operating systems but, out of curiosity, when you start up the computer, which system takes priority?

Linux will provide a boot options screen to allow you to choose which OS to boot (and a default after a configurable time delay).

Likewise a beginner in these matters, but finding linux useful to get a few extra years out of old hardware, with the option of continued use of (slow) windows installations.

I say "will provide" when I mean you need to select a dual boot option on installation.

Edited by peter n

On 15/12/2017 at 21:56, Wanderer Vagabond said:

They really don't give a sh*t for those of us who are on a metered allowance and assume that all of their customers have unlimited broadband. I have intentionally disabled as much as I can of the data hoovering tools that Microsoft have incorporated into Windows 10 but it is clearly impossible to disable all of them.

Funny you should say that. I just fired up my Win10 machine for the first time in several weeks and despite setting it previously to 'metered connection', it instantly hoovered up the whole of my data allowance to the end of December.

Off to buy something Apple once xmas is out of the way. I've had enough of this Microshaft shyte. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Funny you should say that. I just fired up my Win10 machine for the first time in several weeks and despite setting it previously to 'metered connection', it instantly hoovered up the whole of my data allowance to the end of December.

Off to buy something Apple once xmas is out of the way. I've had enough of this Microshaft shyte. 

Much the same happened to me when I got my computer back from repair when that Windows update fried my old hard drive. I fired up the computer (the store had told me that they had installed all the necessary updates, they lied:angry:) and Microsoft promptly 'ate' 6Gb of my months allowance. It was fortunate that this happened in the middle of the month whilst I could moderate internet usage until my new allowance came up. If it had happened at the end of the month and I'd used up all of my allowance 6Gb outside of my allowance = £60, and this for a so called 'free' operating system.

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Who ever said it was free? We pay handsomely for it as part of the price of a new PC, Shirley.

Nah, Windows 10 infected my computer from the Window 7 that I had with the computer (and was happy with). It repeatedly kept asking me if I wanted to update to this crap system and I repeatedly declined, then it just updated itself without any say-so from me (and also without any cost). That was the first part of my annoyance with Windows 10, and it has continued ever since.

11 minutes ago, smileypete said:

Just disable the update service:

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10

Happy? (probably not... :unsure:)

At the moment I've disabled it by marking my Wi-fi option as metered, that seems to stop the updates but allows the virus definition stuff to come through (I think). It seems to me that the longer that I disable the Windows updates for the less chance of ever updating there will be. My understanding is that Microsoft intend to put out 2 of these crap updates every year and since it seems that the current one is about 4Gb, if I leave it until the next one comes out I will have to update to the earlier one before I could update to the later (so 8Gb), since it took one and a half hours in the library to download 67% of the latest crap, I really have no inclination to sit in the library (Weatherspoons,McDonalds or wherever) for hours and hours updating to something that I don't really want anyway, I think I'd rather be boating;)

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

10 hours ago, MJG said:

The almost 'evangelical' support for various OS' you sometimes read on the 'net is actually quite comical I find.

Almost missed this at the time you posted it, when I referred to Microsoft evangelist swamping any criticism on forums  I was actually referring to an official Microsoft job position of DE (Developer Evangelist) I. E developers are paid handsomely to evangelise Microsoft as per this job description. 

https://www.microsoft.com/northafrica/careers/positions/de.htm

In the past these paid "evangelists" were brought out in droves whenever Microsoft expected bad publicity, their function was to drown out any discussion that they  deemed may not be in Microsofts best interest. Hoards of them would arrive on various forums and news groups at critical times. Microsoft have never played fairly and I have no reason to believe they ever will. 

4 hours ago, reg said:

Almost missed this at the time you posted it, when I referred to Microsoft evangelist swamping any criticism on forums  I was actually referring to an official Microsoft job position of DE (Developer Evangelist) I. E developers are paid handsomely to evangelise Microsoft as per this job description. 

https://www.microsoft.com/northafrica/careers/positions/de.htm

In the past these paid "evangelists" were brought out in droves whenever Microsoft expected bad publicity, their function was to drown out any discussion that they  deemed may not be in Microsofts best interest. Hoards of them would arrive on various forums and news groups at critical times. Microsoft have never played fairly and I have no reason to believe they ever will. 

I wasn't particularly referring to your your specific comment, it was more a general point about how people (Joe Public) 'evangelise' - a bit bit like they do about boat toilets in fact.

Edited by MJG

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Who ever said it was free? We pay handsomely for it as part of the price of a new PC, Shirley.

Purchasers may but the large computer builders do not, they may pay something but nothing like the retail price. That is one reason MS is used by so many, some builders had contracts that more or less prevented them not installing MS on new machines I understand.

15 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Cant read your link as it detects my ad blocker and refuses to display

Just temporarily 'white list' the site, get the info. you need then blacklist it again.

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

As I said earlier in this thread, I use WUB - Windows Update Blocker. Some of the many background services that run when you boot windows provide the update service. Basically, WUB stops these background services. If Windows attempts to restart, (which it sometimes does) it just stops them again. 

When convenient, WUB can be used to restart the update services such that updates are downloaded and apllied.

Whilst non-Home editions of WIN 10 now have various options that supposedly allow you more control over updates and you can set 'metered connection' for wi-fi, its all rather complex and does not guarantee downloads will not happen.

The only gotchas with WUB I have found -

It disables Windows Defender Updates.

It disables the App Store

http://www.sordum.org/9470/windows-update-blocker-v1-0/

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Purchasers may but the large computer builders do not, they may pay something but nothing like the retail price. That is one reason MS is used by so many, some builders had contracts that more or less prevented them not installing MS on new machines I understand.

PC with Windows installed - very very common
PC with no operating system installed - very very rare
PC with Linux installed - very very rare

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Allan(nb Albert) said:
8 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

PC with Windows installed - very very common
PC with no operating system installed - very very rare
PC with Linux installed - very very rare

The point I believe Tony is making is explained in detail here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundling_of_Microsoft_Windows

Microsoft's "encouragement", as detailed in the Microsoft Tax section, formed part of, alongside other anti-competitive practices, the long antitrust case against them.

Microsoft have a long history of bad behaviour, they seem quite happy when forced to drop one set of bad behaviour to simply find another set of bad behaviour

3 hours ago, reg said:

The point I believe Tony is making is explained in detail here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bundling_of_Microsoft_Windows

Microsoft's "encouragement", as detailed in the Microsoft Tax section, formed part of, alongside other anti-competitive practices, the long antitrust case against them.

Microsoft have a long history of bad behaviour, they seem quite happy when forced to drop one set of bad behaviour to simply find another set of bad behaviour

I thought Tony was commenting on the cost of windows to a member of the public compared to an oem. However rereading,it is also as you say.

It is nothing new in the IT would for a company to use its dominant position in the market place to disadvantage competitors.  It supposedly started in 1969 when IBM, who had over a 70% share of the computer marketplace, decided to unbundle its software and charge separately for it (back in those days the manufacturers of large mainframes use to charge for the v. expensive hardware and operating system, applications and support was included in the price). An antitrust case was started and rumbled on for over 10 years before being abandoned. By then the BUNCH (as the five smaller manufactures were called) had also unbundled and IBM's dominance had diminished slightly. 

I see history repeating itself with Microsoft. Certainly the dominant position it enjoyed in the consumer field has been eroded. WIN 10 which runs on phones and tablets was late to market which is now firmly based on apple and google operating systems.