Windows 10 is actually a virus, discuss

reg

Featured Posts

17 hours ago, reg said:

And to add to your woes they intend to make you rent this POS in the future

Not everybody agrees that is going to be the case, at least for domestic users.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-subscriptions-arent-happening-heres-why/

17 hours ago, reg said:

Just tried these Google search

"windows 10 update pile of crap" and "windows 10 lawsuit"

Have you tried 'googling' Linux is a pile of crap?

Perhaps you should.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Linux+pile+of+crap&oq=Linux+pile+of+crap&aqs=chrome..69i57.7583j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

1 hour ago, MJG said:

Not everybody agrees that is going to be the case, at least for domestic users.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-subscriptions-arent-happening-heres-why/

There was a time when zdnet.com was awash with Microsoft evangelists who piled in to anyone who tried to hold any discussion which Microsoft deemed to be counterproductive to their aims or, at the time, bad practices. This was maybe 15 years ago but as far as I was concerned zdnet.com lost a lot of credibility(Note the above did not apply to zdnet.co.uk who managed to remain creditably independent and also used my favourite tech author of the time Guy Kewney RIP ) . Having said that the article linked to appears to be a fair enough assessment of the vision Microsoft have for the future. 

I can understand and perhaps even support the Microsoft vision of a single operating system, Windows 10, which will be maintained and updated as a stable OS. The problem is the IMHO the dogs dinner they are making of getting there, we have no way of knowing how long it will take and how much disruption it will cause. 

1 hour ago, MJG said:

Have you tried 'googling' Linux is a pile of crap?

Perhaps you should.

In the interest of fairness I did that and came up with this very we'll written an reasoned article 

http://downtoearthlinux.com/posts/11-reasons-to-avoid-linux/

I can't put it better so won't even attempt to. 

I personally have reached the conclusion that Linux Mint meets my requirements. It isn't perfect but for me it is less imperfect than Windows. 

Edited by reg

16 minutes ago, reg said:

There was a time when zdnet.com was awash with Microsoft evangelists who piled in to anyone who tried to hold any discussion which Microsoft deemed to be counterproductive to their aims or, at the time, bad practices. This was maybe 15 years ago but as far as I was concerned zdnet.com lost a lot of credibility(Note the above did not apply to zdnet.co.uk who managed to remain creditably independent and also used my favourite tech author of the time Guy Kewney RIP ) . Having said that the article linked to appears to be a fair enough assessment of the vision Microsoft have for the future. 

I can understand and perhaps even support the Microsoft vision of a single operating system, Windows 10, which will be maintained and updated as a stable OS. The problem is the IMHO the dogs dinner they are making of getting there, we have no way of knowing how long it will take and how much disruption it will cause. 

In the interest of fairness I did that and came up with this very we'll written an reasoned article 

I personally have reached the conclusion that Linux Mint meets my requirements. It isn't perfect but for me it is less imperfect than Windows. 

Dont you think it strange though that there are many many millions of satisfied Windows customers out there?

The almost 'evangelical' support for various OS' you sometimes read on the 'net is actually quite comical I find. Windows is far from perfect IMHO but it does everything I need an I see no need to change and certainly not to the rather 'geeky' Linux.

(Ed - of course before some Linux aficionado says it - the reason they are satisfied is because they have succumbed to MS' rather swish marketing rather than they have just found something that works for them...........:giggles: )

Edited by MJG

10 minutes ago, MJG said:

Windows is far from perfect IMHO but it does everything I need an I see no need to change and certainly not to the rather 'geeky' Linux.

Linux is far from perfick IMHO but it does everything I need and I see no need to change and certainly not to the rather 'expensive' Windoze

17 minutes ago, MJG said:

.. but it does everything I need... 

And that is the critical comment irrespective of the OS. 

I no longer need Windows and so do not have to put up with the Microsoft vision and shenanigans so I am happy to point out potential alternatives. We're back to the horses for courses comment from an earlier post. 

Edited by reg

33 minutes ago, reg said:

I was in the process of reading the same article when you posted - and most of the way through the comments section (which makes fun reading! ), weighing them against my own observations and wondering if I should add my own comment... but refrained :)

The article is good reading and fairly well balanced, a pleasant change to the norm.

I think choice of OS will always revolve around just what the user needs to do with it, MtB would find linux as useful as a chocolate fireguard as there is nothing available for it that can emulate a FP website as easily as FP, others may find that everything they do can be done on Android or IOS tablets...

Linux will do everyday tasks as well as any other OS, like every other OS it will come unstuck if a particular application is not written for it and is required by the user.

Linux is not 'better' than the other options, just another choice (and modern distributions are about as mature in desktop use/ presentation as the others) given to any of us.

Edited by Ratkatcher
Typos

2 minutes ago, Ratkatcher said:

Aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!

Both my chocolate fireguard and ecofan do their job perfectly - not sure though what will happen when I discover how to light the stove :giggles:

I've managed to take myself off topic, couldn't resist,  so to bring it back on track I'll repost the link

58 minutes ago, Ratkatcher said:

I was in the process of reading the same article when you posted - and most of the way through the comments section (which makes fun reading! ), weighing them against my own observations and wondering if I should add my own comment... but refrained :)

The article is good reading and fairly well balanced, a pleasant change to the norm.

I think choice of OS will always revolve around just what the user needs to do with it, MtB would find linux as useful as a chocolate fireguard as there is nothing available for it that can emulate a FP website as easily as FP, others may find that everything they do can be done on Android or IOS tablets...

Linux will do everyday tasks as well as any other OS, like every other OS it will come unstuck if a particular application is not written for it and is required by the user.

Linux is not 'better' than the other options, just another choice (and modern distributions are about as mature in desktop use/ presentation as the others) given to any of us.

It is when Microsoft say pay us your £xxx a year or your operating system dies.  Apart from that I agree with you.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Linux is far from perfick IMHO but it does everything I need and I see no need to change and certainly not to the rather 'expensive' Windoze

Depends what you pay for it, there are ways to purchase it at no where near what you would pay walking into PC world etc.. Of course it's not free (well not legally anyway) but if it works for people most people seem quite happy to pay.

Edited by MJG

5 minutes ago, MJG said:

I always liken threads about 'what is the best' OS to 'which is the best toilet on a boat' or 'which is the best stern type, trad, cruiser or semi'.

Absolutely right MJG - If it works for you (or should that be 'one'? ) then it fulfils a role. (for what it's worth I have a pump out trad :argue: )

Edited by Ratkatcher

Just now, Ratkatcher said:

Absolutely right MJG - If it works for you (or should that be 'one'? ) then it fulfils a role. (for what it's worth I have a pump out :argue: )

Ah there now see.......we (or rather Aqua Narrowboats did it for us) ripped our pump out out and fitted a cassette..........:D

5 minutes ago, MJG said:

I always liken threads about 'what is the best' OS to 'which is the best toilet on a boat' or 'which is the best stern type, trad, cruiser or semi'.

I much prefer it when the question is couched more along the lines of 

What is the appropriate OS for my requirements? Then occasionally sensible discussion takes place

18 minutes ago, reg said:

I much prefer it when the question is couched more along the lines of 

What is the appropriate OS for my requirements? Then occasionally sensible discussion takes place

Indeed, but invariably that is not how most people seem to phrase these types of question.

And when a thread opens with 'Windows 10 is actually a virus, discuss' it is almost 100% guaranteed to open a very partisan debate. B)

Edited by MJG

Yet another alternative to throw into the pool...

ReactOS -Windows that is not a Microsoft offering but designed to run all of your windows applications (maybe)

It may be worth watching and waiting until it reaches realease 1.x before seriously considering it, but possibly loading the 'live' CD image could be worth playing with to see if it runs your favourites.. (thinking MtB and FP here )

Maybe I'll plug another hard drive into my PC and give it a play with...

10 minutes ago, Ratkatcher said:

Yet another alternative to throw into the pool...

ReactOS -Windows that is not a Microsoft offering but designed to run all of your windows applications (maybe)

It may be worth watching and waiting until it reaches realease 1.x before seriously considering it, but possibly loading the 'live' CD image could be worth playing with to see if it runs your favourites.. (thinking MtB and FP here )

Maybe I'll plug another hard drive into my PC and give it a play with...

ReactOS has been around for over 20 years. I'm not convinced that it will ever be developed to a stage where it is usable as a replacement for Windows. The problem it suffers from is getting sufficient developers interested in it. WINE (which which it shares some code) now suffers a similar problem. The focus now seems to be on Virtual Machine technology.

7 hours ago, MJG said:

Dont you think it strange though that there are many many millions of satisfied Windows customers out there?

The almost 'evangelical' support for various OS' you sometimes read on the 'net is actually quite comical I find. Windows is far from perfect IMHO but it does everything I need an I see no need to change and certainly not to the rather 'geeky' Linux.

(Ed - of course before some Linux aficionado says it - the reason they are satisfied is because they have succumbed to MS' rather swish marketing rather than they have just found something that works for them...........:giggles: )

Up until the point that Windows 10 infected my computer, I would have been amongst those who would have been a satisfied Windows (7) customer, but that is no longer the case. Had I realised what a PITA Windows 10 was going to be I would have reverted to Windows 7 whilst I still could. Windows 10 is designed to make me a milch cow for Microsoft, it has nothing whatsoever to do with what I as a customer want and it is entirely to do with what Microsoft can get out of me. They really don't give a sh*t for those of us who are on a metered allowance and assume that all of their customers have unlimited broadband. I have intentionally disabled as much as I can of the data hoovering tools that Microsoft have incorporated into Windows 10 but it is clearly impossible to disable all of them. It is one of the reasons that I will now not be updating because I know that there will be nothing of any advantage to me as a customer, only useful tools for Microsoft.

I'm still seriously thinking about ditching Windows for Linux, not because it is better but because I resent being taken for an idiot by Microsoft. The only thing stopping me at the moment is lack of knowledge of computing and uncertainly as to whether having two Operating Systems on the computer is going to lead to further problems. If Microsoft wanted to convert a contented customer into a evangelical detractor of the company, Windows 10 was certainly the way to do it.

8 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

The only thing stopping me at the moment is lack of knowledge of computing and uncertainly as to whether having two Operating Systems on the computer is going to lead to further problems.

In my experience a second operating system has eased problems. One partition for each OS (sorted out by linux installation disks) and a separate partition for data give more options when problems develop. Of course two operating systems lead to the need for two sets of security updates...

2 minutes ago, peter n said:

In my experience a second operating system has eased problems. One partition for each OS (sorted out by linux installation disks) and a separate partition for data give more options when problems develop. Of course two operating systems lead to the need for two sets of security updates...

Like I said, I haven't a lot of knowledge of the workings of the operating systems but, out of curiosity, when you start up the computer, which system takes priority?

17 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Up until the point that Windows 10 infected my computer, I would have been amongst those who would have been a satisfied Windows (7) customer, but that is no longer the case. Had I realised what a PITA Windows 10 was going to be I would have reverted to Windows 7 whilst I still could. Windows 10 is designed to make me a milch cow for Microsoft, it has nothing whatsoever to do with what I as a customer want and it is entirely to do with what Microsoft can get out of me. They really don't give a sh*t for those of us who are on a metered allowance and assume that all of their customers have unlimited broadband. I have intentionally disabled as much as I can of the data hoovering tools that Microsoft have incorporated into Windows 10 but it is clearly impossible to disable all of them. It is one of the reasons that I will now not be updating because I know that there will be nothing of any advantage to me as a customer, only useful tools for Microsoft.

I'm still seriously thinking about ditching Windows for Linux, not because it is better but because I resent being taken for an idiot by Microsoft. The only thing stopping me at the moment is lack of knowledge of computing and uncertainly as to whether having two Operating Systems on the computer is going to lead to further problems. If Microsoft wanted to convert a contented customer into a evangelical detractor of the company, Windows 10 was certainly the way to do it.

There is no reason why you cannot have more than one OS on a pc.

Installing Linux will give you that option. I have a PC propping the door open on my study that I tried this with. It's now 'bricked and I honestly cannot be arsed to spend time sorting it.

4 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Like I said, I haven't a lot of knowledge of the workings of the operating systems but, out of curiosity, when you start up the computer, which system takes priority?

You can choose from memory but I never found out why, so mine booted into Linux by default and then died.