Windows 10 is actually a virus, discuss

reg

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What did it say? 

If the mods deleted it they are supposed to have sent you a PM telling you why. If no PM then just post it again.

Well I never even saw a reply, so it's the fastest delete in CWDF history if indeed it was deleted, I suspect he forgot to click 'submit reply' or it never appeared due to internet shenanigans......

On 03/12/2017 at 22:02, MJG said:

Well I never even saw a reply, so it's the fastest delete in CWDF history if indeed it was deleted, I suspect he forgot to click 'submit reply' or it never appeared due to internet shenanigans......

Well I think I saw a reply, and not contentious in any way. But I can't remember what it was. I see no reason not to re-post it frankly.

6 minutes ago, smileypete said:

XP still works OK.

That was my thought when I saw the post. Just you don't get security fixes. If you're careful of the sites you visit all should be ok.

Nothing wrong with XP, except I had little option to move to Windows 7. To be honest I haven't looked aback and is very similar to XP.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Microsoft chose to withdraw support for a massive customerbase using XP perfectly satisfactorily for no reason beyond forcing them to buy Win 7, 8 or 10.

I don't blame them. I think the last version of XP was sold in 2002. I don't know of any other software has been freely supported for the next 12 years. There are no adverts or any other income stream to fund MS support of XP.

Windows XP still works, if you feel the need to use it.

You can see why they were considering a subscription based OS.

13 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

That was my thought when I saw the post. Just you don't get security fixes. If you're careful of the sites you visit all should be ok.

Nothing wrong with XP, except I had little option to move to Windows 7. To be honest I haven't looked aback and is very similar to XP.

It's also possible to run various OSes as 'virtual machines':

https://zeltser.com/how-to-get-a-windows-xp-mode-virtual-machine-on-windows/

Also another way to tinker with Linux Mint to see what it's like:

https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player/workstation-player-evaluation.html

http://www.osboxes.org/linux-mint/#linuxmint-18-2-vmware

http://www.osboxes.org/guide/

Had a play with it this afternoon, wasn't too painful following the guides for setting it up. Saves rebooting out of windows anyway...

Edited by smileypete

26 minutes ago, smileypete said:

It's also possible to run various OSes as 'virtual machines':

https://zeltser.com/how-to-get-a-windows-xp-mode-virtual-machine-on-windows/

Also another way to tinker with Linux Mint to see what it's like:

https://www.vmware.com/products/workstation-player/workstation-player-evaluation.html

http://www.osboxes.org/linux-mint/#linuxmint-18-2-vmware

http://www.osboxes.org/guide/

Had a play with it this afternoon, wasn't too painful following the guides for setting it up. Saves rebooting out of windows anyway...

Can I recommend Oracle Virtualbox?

https://www.virtualbox.org/

It's free and does about everything the paid for VMware Workstation Player does (I think).

I have run a few machines so I can check that a clean install of my software works. You need a machine that has Virtualisation Threading enabled, or you can only install 32bit operating systems.

But I haven't successfully run Mint in a VM, though I didn't try very hard.

23 hours ago, Mikexx said:

Can I recommend Oracle Virtualbox?

https://www.virtualbox.org/

It's free and does about everything the paid for VMware Workstation Player does (I think).

I have run a few machines so I can check that a clean install of my software works. You need a machine that has Virtualisation Threading enabled, or you can only install 32bit operating systems.

But I haven't successfully run Mint in a VM, though I didn't try very hard.

I can confirm that Mint runs in Virtualbox under WIN 10 and WIN 10 runs in virtualbox  under Mint ...

Regarding Frontpage, years ago I used to maintain 'Frontpage' web pages with Kompozer under Linux. I can't recall any major problems - both were just WYSIWYG editors. However the world has moved on from the days when you you would maintain a website offline using a WYSIWYG editor and upload via FTP. 

There is a learning curve, just as there is with moving from old versions  of Word and new ribbon based versions of Word - or moving fro word to WPS or Libreoffice Writer or Openoffice Writer or Abiword or Google Docs ...

... and, of course, a learning curve moving between operating systems.

There are many ways to create files for a web, but my big like of FP is for its site-wide maintenance features. For example with just a couple of clicks you can "find and replace" across every page in the entire site, selecting either to find within the page text or the HTML; with just a couple more clicks you can check the entire site for broken links or unlinked pages. Also if you need to move a page within the site, all the links to that page are automatically changed.

4 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

There are many ways to create files for a web, but my big like of FP is for its site-wide maintenance features. For example with just a couple of clicks you can "find and replace" across every page in the entire site, selecting either to find within the page text or the HTML; with just a couple more clicks you can check the entire site for broken links or unlinked pages. Also if you need to move a page within the site, all the links to that page are automatically changed.

Seconded. These are the reasons o like it too. Never found another program anything like as easy to use.

It must have its limitations but I’ve yet to bump into any. A superbly designed program. 

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Seconded. These are the reasons o like it too. Never found another program anything like as easy to use.

It must have its limitations but I’ve yet to bump into any. A superbly designed program. 

Have you ever looked at Net Objects Fusion, Mike?  It too is a very straighforward and easy to use program that has a wide range of templates to simplify web design even further.  I will admit that I tried to create a small site that 'looked like' a Front Page offering with NOF and was impressed with the result, but it was only for fun.  NOF, like Front Page, automatically generates menu navigation from website structure and allows drag and drop editing of the structure (very visually) currently on version 15 and costs £101 although a free version is available ( Link: http://netobjects.com/ ) to play around with.

NOF, like FP is garbage under WINE so wouldn't be a contender to drag you over to linux - sadly.

8 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

There are many ways to create files for a web, but my big like of FP is for its site-wide maintenance features. For example with just a couple of clicks you can "find and replace" across every page in the entire site

This is a common feature now in many modern editors

I use a number of editors on a regular basis but find myself coming back to SUBLIME TEXT which is a unlimited time nagware app with the option of a one off registration fee.

Nice thing about it is that the license is valid across all platforms OSX, Windows and Linux so any skills obtained can be retained even if you switch platform.

Nothing to lose by trying it out as it is a valuable tool on any platform.

https://www.sublimetext.com/3

Try the menu item FIND - FIND IN FILES (And then in the WHERE part of the dialogue box click on the  ... (right hand side of the WHERE line) to select from a comprehensive list of options)

One of the reasons the reasons that the desktop stand alone WYSIWYG went out of favor is because many of the editors could do a very good job by the use of plugins or extensions so there was little point in developing further standalone WYSIWYG apps except for high end high price apps which in many cases provide far more than mere mortals with modest requirements need.

On Linux my toolset for Web would be a combination of

Sublime text (fast Lightweight but very capable editor but is nagware although not obstrusively and does not cut down on features )

And these open source (free apps)

Geany (Another good editor for search and replacing including regex editing)

Bluefish Editor (pretty much geared up for HTML editing)

MELD which is a file compair application (useful in identifying problems)

Ive also looked at the Mozilla build of seamonkey which is a pretty good s it comprises of,amongst other things, a browser with a decent page editor built 

Ive also had a quick look at the GOOGLE WEB DESIGNER (beta) Seems to advanced for my needs but may be of use to somebody, not sure of the licence for this

Edited by reg

1 hour ago, reg said:

One of the reasons the reasons that the desktop stand alone WYSIWYG went out of favor is because many of the editors could do a very good job by the use of plugins or extensions so there was little point in developing further standalone WYSIWYG apps except for high end high price apps which in many cases provide far more than mere mortals with modest requirements need.

I guess the main reason desktop stand alone WYSIWYG editors went out of favour was the difficulty of coping with rendering on non pc devices. In the last five years the number of pages served to mobile phones has increased from 10% to 50%.

Edited by Allan(nb Albert)

• 2 weeks later...

Probably not the best time to write a Windows 10 'review' because I am livid:angry2:. This piece of crap that Microsoft call Windows 10 has tested my temper to destruction. The computer has been pestering me for a while to download the latest Windows update so, with a few minutes to spare today I took myself off to the library to do so, since they think it is funny to make their updates about 2.6Gb (allegedly). After sitting in the said library for an hour an a half I'd still only downloaded 67% of this crap and the battery on the computer was going to run out before the full piece of rubbish had downloaded. Since by my reckoning I had slightly less than a Gb to download, and I have a bit of leeway on this months allowance, I decided to finish the download on my own internet. Well it took 1.3Gb to finish the download so by my reckoning this piece of crap is about 4Gb not the 2.6 that they claimed. 

This joyful waste of over 2 hours of my life that I will never get back has resulted in the computer making 2 attempts to install this piece of crap and now it tells me that it has failed to install it on 14/12/17 so I am going to go through all this palaver again (if I can be *rsed). Will anything dire happen if I never update the crap Windows programme ever again?

It would be fair to say that I am not a satisfied Microsoft Customer, god help them if they put any sort of 'survey' in front of me:banghead:

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

And to add to your woes they intend to make you rent this POS in the future As per my OP it is now becoming IMHO Malware rather than an Operating system I would hate to think how much downtime small businesses have suffered because of this windows 10 fiasco.

I am now happily ensconced in the Linux Mint world, bit of a learning curve but well worth it.

ETA

Just tried these Google search

"windows 10 update pile of crap" and "windows 10 lawsuit"

I think Windows 10 is an unmitigated disaster.

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

It would be fair to say that I am not a satisfied Microsoft Customer, god help them if they put any sort of 'survey' in front of me:banghead:

Shouldn't worry any survey they put up will probably wreck your pc

Edited by reg

As an aside, I am currently upgrading a WIN 7 laptop to WIN 10 so that assistive technologies can be used. It has just hung at 99% completed. I know what the problem is and how to sort it but wonder why microsoft has not got round to fixing this very long standing issue.

Just upgraded a tablet from Android 8.0 to 8.1 - it just worked

Two days ago, I installed Mint on a 10 year old laptop - it just worked.

18 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Probably not the best time to write a Windows 10 'review' because I am livid:angry2:. This piece of crap that Microsoft call Windows 10 has tested my temper to destruction. The computer has been pestering me for a while to download the latest Windows update so, with a few minutes to spare today I took myself off to the library to do so, since they think it is funny to make their updates about 2.6Gb (allegedly). After sitting in the said library for an hour an a half I'd still only downloaded 67% of this crap and the battery on the computer was going to run out before the full piece of rubbish had downloaded. Since by my reckoning I had slightly less than a Gb to download, and I have a bit of leeway on this months allowance, I decided to finish the download on my own internet. Well it took 1.3Gb to finish the download so by my reckoning this piece of crap is about 4Gb not the 2.6 that they claimed. 

This joyful waste of over 2 hours of my life that I will never get back has resulted in the computer making 2 attempts to install this piece of crap and now it tells me that it has failed to install it on 14/12/17 so I am going to go through all this palaver again (if I can be *rsed). Will anything dire happen if I never update the crap Windows programme ever again?

You wont gain some of the additional 'features' obviously (note the inverted commas) however one thing you will get is constant nagging to complete the update, if you can put up with that then nothing dire should happen (assuming all your virus definitions are up to date of course)