reg

Featured Posts

Will I never learn, thought I'd give the dark side another chance 

New second hand PC (6gb 64bit jobbie) fresh install windows 7 and office pro

New install of Windows with Office pro

Windows anniversary  update 9 hours plus

Install basic software pakages

Use for 2 days 

Windows says I have a problem and it will fix it for me (it is forbidden to switch of your (really it's our) pc

24 hrs later says nope can't do anything ha ha 

Clone a windows 10 to disk and do a fresh install

Windows does another anniversary update 9 hours plus again

Install basic software

Install dual boot system with Linux mint

After 5 days of fart...around ready to install office pro again  go to download site with pucka registration key for office pro "we have a problem with your Reg key please grovel to our support people, anyway 7 is not supported after 2017 so why not take  subscription(our latest money grabbing wheeze) to office 365.

Junk windows completely 

Install Linux mint 

Going to have a lie down now... 

When I get up need to recover all of my work and restore it to it right full home. 

Conclusion WINDOWS IS A MONEY GRABBING VIRUS 

Microsoft seem to spend more time on  graphic design than on coding, Windows is  pretty but sh*t.

Does this constitute as a rant? (rhetorical) 

Eta

Forgot to mention it wiped out my monthly data allowance with its piss*** about, had to buy another 10gig data to get through to the end of the month, but hey Ho of you happy Linux land

Edited by reg
  • Greenie 2

I don't like Windows 10 but I don't get how it is grabbing my money.

Since installing it on my little tablet that acts as a media server it has never asked me for a penny.

I have stuck with Win 7 on my other machines.

I've never really got on with Linux...I just can't be bothered with its foibles.

I tried a couple of times and eventually it worked. It was a real pain to get it to run and I did have to back up to win7 (cached in a recovery drive) once and re-install. On a new laptop, of course it's pre-installed and the laptop has been designed for win 10 (usually).  Granted I did use an unlimited service to sort.

Back to the install I did from win7.  It works fine, way better than win 7.

Persevere or buy a new laptop/tablet with it pre-installed.

10 minutes ago, carlt said:

I've never really got on with Linux...I just can't be bothered with its foibles.

Don't wholly disagree with that not everything is sweetness and light.  Main diference is that a Linux machine belongs to me a Windows machine doesn't. 

Edited by reg

I installed a Linux partition once, in a fit of pique with Windoze.

The learning curve turned out to be so steep and long that I abandoned it, and fixed my Windoze problems instead.

I'm quite close to buying a Mac next as Win 10 seems not to be to be backwards compatible with Win 95/98/XP applications. 

28 minutes ago, reg said:

Main diference is that a Linux machine belongs to me a Windows machine doesn't. 

I'm not sure I understand that either.

Considering the attempts to invade my privacy by all sorts of other interested parties Windows seems a bit player in the info grabbing game these days.

I bought a Hoover for the boat today. The nice lady at Currys PC World asked me if I wanted replace-with-new insurance for only £16 (or something), which I declined. She did, however, extract from me name, address, postcode and of course card details -- it remains to be seen how long the evil clutches of the multinational empire take to give up invading my privacy by offering me stuff I don't want.

I must be lucky.

Despite having run Unix systems for many years, I'm quite happy with WIN10.  I've got it on a high spec desktop and three laptops and have had no major problems, either with the install or the updates.

It is by far the most reliable version of Windows I have had, and I had a PC running Windows V1.0 once, and just about every version since.  Sure there are people who have had problems with it, and they often complain bitterly, ignoring the millions of users who are entirely happy.

It's a bit like when Watchdog hauled British Gas in for a grilling, citing their dossier of 300 complaints.  As the remarkably polite representative said,  "yes, I accept that some people will have problems, but we have over eight million customers".

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

I bought a Hoover for the boat today. The nice lady at Currys PC World asked me if I wanted replace-with-new insurance for only £16 (or something), which I declined. She did, however, extract from me name, address, postcode and of course card details -- it remains to be seen how long the evil clutches of the multinational empire take to give up invading my privacy by offering me stuff I don't want.

I bought a 5v power supply lead on ebay for £9 - before i could buy it I had to decline the offer of a 3 year service plan or summat like that.

2 hours ago, dor said:

It is by far the most reliable version of Windows I have had, and I had a PC running Windows V1.0 once, and just about every version since.  Sure there are people who have had problems with it, and they often complain bitterly, ignoring the millions of users who are entirely happy.

The pure joy of having a good rant is that it isn't necessary to be accurate or logical and also allows you to be hypocritical, it's just a rant at a moment in time. The only real reason I want Windows is because of the office Access database which hasn't been beaten by anyone yet and has the best Query feature available anywhere. it had a very good grounding in that the access development  did a very good job in the early stages of its life v1. 0 and that has stood up through the later development stages. However the rant was occasioned by the fact that I have lost 5 days simply because Windows 7.0(that's the inaccurate bit it was 7 not 10) could not handle a simple sector error on a disk but goes into a 24 hour melt down preventing me from using the PC and then failsto fix the problem. 

Because I only wanted one specific program, which I now don't have due to the Reg key problem (which I am sure I can sort out giving the will) see no point personally in putting up with Microsoft shenanigans. Now the hypocritical bit I still have it on a disk which I can plug in and boot through the USB port.  Windows is better for some things and thIs is recognised in Linux world by the effort put into WINE which allows many windows programs to run within Linux. 

Enjoyed and needed the rant now the rational needs to kick in again, pretty sure I'll be cursing Linux at some point always easier to do that than curse myself. 

Edited by reg

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I installed a Linux partition once, in a fit of pique with Windoze.

The learning curve turned out to be so steep and long that I abandoned it, and fixed my Windoze problems instead.

I'm quite close to buying a Mac next as Win 10 seems not to be to be backwards compatible with Win 95/98/XP applications. 

Have a look at:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/server-storage/virtualbox/overview/index.html

This allows an independent machine to run inside another. If you have 64 bit Windows 7 for instance you can run a virtual box for 32bit XP.

Its also free. All you need is the Win XP install disk, and of course the license number. Not so sure about Win98, but don't see why not. Why Win95, its about the most buggy Windows ever!

2 hours ago, reg said:

The pure joy of having a good rant is that it isn't necessary to be accurate or logical and also allows you to be hypocritical, it's just a rant at a moment in time. The only real reason I want Windows is because of the office Access database which hasn't been beaten by anyone yet and has the best Query feature available anywhere. [1]

it had a very good grounding in that the access development  did a very good job in the early stages of its life v1. 0 and that has stood up through the later development stages. However the rant was occasioned by the fact that I have lost 5 days simply because Windows 7.0(that's the inaccurate bit it was 7 not 10) could not handle a simple sector error on a disk but goes into a 24 hour melt down preventing me from using the PC and then failsto fix the problem. [2]

Because I only wanted one specific program, which I now don't have due to the Reg key problem (which I am sure I can sort out giving the will) see no point personally in putting up with Microsoft shenanigans. Now the hypocritical bit I still have it on a disk which I can plug in and boot through the USB port.  Windows is better for some things and thIs is recognised in Linux world by the effort put into WINE which allows many windows programs to run within Linux. [3]

Enjoyed and needed the rant now the rational needs to kick in again, pretty sure I'll be cursing Linux at some point always easier to do that than curse myself. [4]

[1] I thought LibreOffice did just about anything that MS Office did, have you tried this?

[2] CHKDSK ?

[3] That's cheating!

[4] LOL

11 hours ago, Mikexx said:

[1] I thought LibreOffice did just about anything that MS Office did, have you tried this?

[2] CHKDSK ?

1 - Switching back to Librebase which is getting there, problem is I have a learning curve with it. Don't tell anyone but I use to be an Access 'guru' up till about the end of Access 97,  running a support website for it and helping out on support forums.  would of been easier to go back to it pick up my old skills, rusty as anything at moment. Access is and was a very fine product and has the best query builder going But yep It's Librebase from now on. 

2-Chkdsk - yep that's what fixed it via Gary's Utilities front end 20 mins not 24hours and failed via Windows 7 very poor repair offering. Problem is that you can't cancel the Microsoft repair if you just switch of it leaves your PC in a sorry state. 

3-yep but pragmatic 

It's much like in my 20s I could run up mountains, struggle to get to the shops nowadays. Likewise my skill set in the day no longer exists and has to be regained, at least a subset of it but anno Domini seems to be saying no. So scr** you anno domini (by the way that last statement dies not apply to running up mountains) 

Edited by reg

Thinking Windows 10, I downloaded the anniversary updated ISO from Microsoft when I needed to reinstall 10 to replace the Windows 7 installation on my laptop (it was originally W10 so I spent some time creating an ISO with usb3 support (W7) and found that with this perfectly working and stable installation (it was!) that with the laptop shut down the battery was being flattened - It's a HP and appears to be a common issue) and was unable to activate the restore partition.

The updated 10 installed without any problems and has now 'fixed' the restore partition with the new image with the assistance of HP's management software.

I didn't really want to have 10 on the laptop, OpenSuse (my favourite Linux distro) didn't like the hybrid graphics much so was ditched  - although a newer version has appeared recently...

10 is probably the best version yet, but that is a bit like saying 'the best Lada yet', it is intrusive and leaves the consumer open to the prospect of being charged by Microsoft for their 'Operating System as a Service' should they decide thus.

This laptop, in common with many other commercial PC's being sold with Windows installed, makes it difficult to move away from Microsoft as the BIOS setup and options are being tailored to dissuade (or even make impossible) a move away from the pre-installation O/S. (of course Apple have been doing the same for many years without their users making any noise about it!)

I enjoyed the OP's rant and sympathised with him, and only a little bit green over his being able to install Mint...

Running XP on this machine and Office 97 with the additional bits that lest it open DOCX files. Why XP - I have a graphics program with a lot of archived material that needs XP.

I have a much more modern desktop right now with Mint on it running Office 97 and my graphics program under WINE. Been using the same on an old Lenovo laptop for over a  year now.

No more two or three yearly paid for updates that prevent you running software you paid for and need to. No sneaky automatic updates and an easy way to turn them off without setting odd things like telling MS you have a metered connection - why can't it just be  "turn updates off". No more nag screens telling me my computer is at risk just because I choose my own security software.

It does take a bit of effort to get Mint/Ubuntu the way you want it but in my view its time well spent.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I have a much more modern desktop right now with Mint on it running Office 97

Are you saying that office 97 runs OK under wine and, important to me does access 97 run under wine? Access 97 was the last real version that was fully under the control of the access device team after that it got dot netted and the bloat began. 

Will have to dig my old access 97 disks out if that is the case.