moorings? ha ha ha residential moorings are non extistant

Prue

Featured Posts

On 11/09/2017 at 20:27, magictime said:

We're going to have a good go at living on about £7.5k a year when we move aboard next year, hopefully with £10k in savings to draw on when big maintenance costs crop up. It's probably stretching a point for two people, but with me having nearly dropped dead with a brain haemorrhage a few weeks back, and with my wife getting more stressed and disillusioned with work by the week, we've just hit a point where life feels too short to wait around any longer.

Have you added up your fixed costs, Mine are between £3 and £4k a year.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Have you added up your fixed costs, Mine are between £3 and £4k a year.

Sounds about right. May as well share my latest sums I suppose:

BOAT COSTS

Licence £72/month
Insurance £15/month
Diesel £90/month
Gas £10/month
Blacking £30/month
Engine servicing £15/month
Maintenance contingency £70/month
RCR £15/month

= £317/month

LIVING COSTS

TV licence £12/month
Broadband & phone £30/month
Groceries £200/month
Misc. (clothes, travel etc.) £65/month

= £307/month

TOTAL £624/month = £7488/year

Coal/logs?, 

Is the groceries for two people, I currently spend about £250 in Tesco etc, the cat easily costs £1.00 a day. I assume you will have a cat.

PS I drink like a Zanderfish

Edited by LadyG

Just now, LadyG said:

Coal/logs?, 

Is the groceries for two people, I currently spend about £250 for me, and cat, who easily costs £1.00 a day.

It has a diesel stove, hence the assumption of £90 a month spending on diesel all year round - more travel in summer, more heat in winter.

Yup, £200 is supposed to cover two of us. I think that's doable. I'm sure we've got a student cookbook somewhere... ;)

10 minutes ago, magictime said:

It has a diesel stove, hence the assumption of £90 a month spending on diesel all year round - more travel in summer, more heat in winter.

Yup, £200 is supposed to cover two of us. I think that's doable. I'm sure we've got a student cookbook somewhere... ;)

If I really want to crank down food costs, I will buy in bulk from areas where fruit and veg are grown, buy fruit when cheap and make jam and chutney, maybe wine.

I used to live on a remote farm, we had a sack of spuds in a cool place [the kitchen], neeps and kale from the field, oatmeal, flour, butter, and cooking oil. Lots of dried veg, soup veg, lentils etc.

I was considering chickens, they can browse on the towpath, eat scraps, provide eggs and meat more or less on demand. The are very stupid though, may not want to return to the coop at night.

Edited by LadyG

mmmmm, this is all very well but what about Karen Millen handbags? my extensive Biba wardrobe? are you trying to put me off? Im not really into roughing it, am I completely disillusioned here? no white fur rugs and gold leafed cupboards? the whole Rosie and Jim thing was not what I had in mind.:o

£ 7000 A YEAR? that's as much as a house.

30 minutes ago, Prue said:

£ 7000 A YEAR? that's as much as a house.

If you're talking about my figures, I don't think you're comparing like for like. £7000 might be a fairly average rent or mortgage cost, but you've still got to pay your bills etc on top of that. I'm talking about £7500 all in. The £7000 rent/mortgage (if that's what you have in mind) is basically replaced by the £850ish licence fee, but then obviously you still need gas, heat, food and all the other stuff you need to live in a house.

13 hours ago, LadyG said:

Coal/logs?, 

Is the groceries for two people, I currently spend about £250 in Tesco etc, the cat easily costs £1.00 a day. I assume you will have a cat.

PS I drink like a Zanderfish

Interesting that you've made those edits! I was just about to post something pointing out that we don't drink, which hopefully makes that £200-a-month groceries budget look a bit more realistic. I guess you could comfortably double that if we were in the habit of opening a bottle of wine with dinner and keeping a bit of gin in the cupboard and beer in the fridge. Thankfully I much prefer a nice hot cup of tea (approx. budget for 5 mugs a day = £6/month). Oh, and no pets.

Edited by magictime

12 hours ago, magictime said:

If you're talking about my figures, I don't think you're comparing like for like. £7000 might be a fairly average rent or mortgage cost, but you've still got to pay your bills etc on top of that. I'm talking about £7500 all in. The £7000 rent/mortgage (if that's what you have in mind) is basically replaced by the £850ish licence fee, but then obviously you still need gas, heat, food and all the other stuff you need to live in a house.

Living in a house can never be compared to living on a boat as they are totaly differing lifestyles. Living in a house is crap and boring to me and living on the boat still vastly better after many years of doing it.  People need to WANT to live on a boat if anyone is thinking of living on a boat to save money then they are in for a shock and are not going to enjoy life.

• Greenie 2

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Living in a house can never be compared to living on a boat as they are totaly differing lifestyles. Living in a house is crap and boring to me and living on the boat still vastly better after many years of doing it.  People need to WANT to live on a boat if anyone is thinking of living on a boat to save money then they are in for a shock and are not going to enjoy life.

I certainly wouldn't be doing it if we hadn't done a fair bit of leisure boating previously and fallen in love with the idea of cruising around permanently. But cutting down the amount of spending we do and the amount of stuff we have is all part of that lifestyle change to me.

On 14/09/2017 at 08:58, mrsmelly said:

Exactly right. Live on a boat only if you really want to live on a BOAT. Then, the extra physical work in keeping it all going (locking, pump-out, water-filling, hauling groceries down the towpath, etc...) will result in the great payoff of ... living on your own boat. Exactly where you want to be ... in the middle of nowhere ... with oddball boaters, waterfowl and trees for friends ... a lonely spiral of coal smoke marking out your rural existance ... yet ... tentatively ... plugged in ... wirelessly ... to the cyber hive ... if you can see a communications mast. (Or, insert your own version of a floating fantasy here).

I, too, think you will do best by respecting the pointy end of your home -- designed to quietly slip through water and make passage.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

I think people forget the other world of constant mind numbing , exhausting, stress of every day full time employment, that's harder than living on a boat, running a house with constant up keep, endless bills, annoying neighbours with their screaming children and cars driving up and down the bloody street because they cant be bothered to walk 5 yards to the shop! we have 5 lawns to mow, hedges to clip, well the list goes on, much easier to live on a small narrow boat.:D

9 minutes ago, Prue said:

I think people forget the other world of constant mind numbing , exhausting, stress of every day full time employment, that's harder than living on a boat, running a house with constant up keep, endless bills, annoying neighbours with their screaming children and cars driving up and down the bloody street because they cant be bothered to walk 5 yards to the shop! we have 5 lawns to mow, hedges to clip, well the list goes on, much easier to live on a small narrow boat.:D

The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence.

On 12/09/2017 at 20:54, Prue said:

Ive been very Left all my life, my father was a Communist Party member in the 60's, a policeman's lot is shit all round ! but some ones got to do it lol:D 

I think it depends where you choose to be a policeman, if you want to, there are nice areas, if you stay in a nasty area, that s kinda your choice.

Not everyone disrespects the police.

Edited by LadyG

Actually a house does not cost that much to run unless you live in a mansion, with certain criterior we own the house no mortgage, we provide most of our own water (drinking water via the Berkey) 1400l of catchment water in the backyard via waterbutts and gravity fed guttering, 20% of house power via a makeshift solar array, firepit/bbq/oven (12 weeks worth of wood drying in cycles).

I think all of that cost £2000 outlay 4 years ago and no maintenance costs upto now.

Got rid of sky 2 years ago replaced with freeview + a plex server containing 4000+ movies and 192 tv series.

When we get our boat I will probably add a few more 280w solar panels to the house plus a few relion batteries and cancel our gas/electric all together (the idea being the firepit/wood stove + solar would keep the house going for the short times we spend there)

Only costs we can not remove fully are Council tax + water rates (we only pay £5 per month water rates) + insurance.

That comes to £60+5+22 £87 per month to keep our house and always have a place to go back too.

Phone/internet costs are not added as they are already mobile enabled and thus part of boat life.

(sorry for not being around for abit, issues came up)

Even without solar etc living in a house is cheaper. We split our time between boat and house 70/30%. Fixed costs on boat are about £5.5k a year, on the house £1.8k this includes. gas/electricity/heating on both and ct water rates etc on the house. We own both outright.

10 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Even without solar etc living in a house is cheaper. We split our time between boat and house 70/30%. Fixed costs on boat are about £5.5k a year, on the house £1.8k this includes. gas/electricity/heating on both and ct water rates etc on the house. We own both outright.

Even over paying on our mortgage on our house, it still comes out cheaper per year to run the house (including all bills) then it does to run the boat which is 100% ours with no money owing!

That said it has not stopped us wanting to live on a boat. We love being on the water and if the next boat costs as much as the current boat to run then we will still have the money that we were paying for the house to spare.

On 9/19/2017 at 17:41, LadyG said:

and longer on your side

Not if the gardener has been doing his job!