moorings? ha ha ha residential moorings are non extistant

Prue

Featured Posts

I've just retired, aged 60. I have a small Civil Service pension and lump sum, plus a working husband (he's 8 years younger than me) to keep me going financially till I get my State Pension when I'm 66. I'm finding more than enough to keep me fully occupied and happy, including doing some voluntary work. Yes it would be even nice if we were both retired, we could do far more interesting things, but we both knew that won't happen for a while yet. Fortunately Dave enjoys his job and is quite happy to keep going for another 15 years, whereas I hated my job and couldn't physically have kept going much longer.

Cancer pretty much forced my retirement in late 50's. My wife missed out on a pension at 60 by 3 months. But took voluntary redundancy and her teachers pension at the same time. Fortunately we had some savings and we hope to survive on these and my wife's pension efore my state pension kicks in in 2 years. Both have very much been enjoying retirement. 

Edited by Tuscan

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

I am not sure that age 52 I would consider narrowboating as a means of retirement, I  am 71 and retiring, I  can't imagine stopping at 52

I compromised and retired at 59 :)

Actually I was made redundant,  but had intended to retire at 60 anyway.

Although I found another job straight away, when I worked out how much retiring 7 months early was going to cost me in terms of reduced pension it became a no brainer. Working the extra 7 months was only going to increase my pension for the rest of my life by a few quid a month.

Edited by cuthound

1 hour ago, Prue said:

I would like to work until I am 67, which is when I can claim my pensions, State and Teaching Pension

You can draw your superannuation at age 55, unless the regulations have recently changed.

Early retirement went out of the window when we had our one and only child when I was 40! I''l be 64 before she is out of full time education some hope to retire about 3 years after that. As my husband is 8 years younger than me he will get to return early - just1

36 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

Early retirement went out of the window when we had our one and only child when I was 40! I''l be 64 before she is out of full time education some hope to retire about 3 years after that. As my husband is 8 years younger than me he will get to return early - just1

I had to smile when I read this post. When I was a child myself I had children and my sister used to say " Don't expect me to babysit you are barmy having kids this young " she was a " Career " woman and if you count finance as a major thing in life she did well. At age 39 she had her first and only child and my oh my what a tune changer that was :D I was back to freedom at a relatively young age and she was screwed till her lad left home when she was sixty :giggles:

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I had to smile when I read this post. When I was a child myself I had children and my sister used to say " Don't expect me to babysit you are barmy having kids this young " she was a " Career " woman and if you count finance as a major thing in life she did well. At age 39 she had her first and only child and my oh my what a tune changer that was :D I was back to freedom at a relatively young age and she was screwed till her lad left home when she was sixty :giggles:

You are all fools for evening spawning at all.

What you need are several nieces and nephews to look after you in later life.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

I expect they will be looking out for their parents, unless their uncles and aunts are stinking rich

16 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

My bro in law has no children and doesn't have a clue how people have little or no money cos he always has plenty. Each to their own and my kids are all very independent and bringing/brought up some smashing kids. I understand why he has non but I wouldn't be without any of mine for all the tea in China. Non of mine that I recall were spawned in the evening though :D

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

My bro in law has no children and doesn't have a clue how people have little or no money cos he always has plenty. Each to their own and my kids are all very independent and bringing/brought up some smashing kids. I understand why he has non but I wouldn't be without any of mine for all the tea in China. Non of mine that I recall were spawned in the evening though :D

Bloody predictive text!

I don't know if I've retired or not.

I gave up work 11 years ago and did an MA, then a PhD, then had two grandchildren come along and found myself providing childcare pretty much full-time. Plans are now under way to sell the family house when our fourth and youngest child moves out next year, for my wife to give up work too, and to see if we can't live a frugal nomadic life funded by a bit of rental and investment income. 

If it works out, I'll be able to say in later life that I retired at 31. If not, I'll just have had a lengthy career break.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

I expect they will be looking out for their parents, unless their uncles and aunts are stinking rich

Well, I lost my Mum in the October and my aunt (by Marriage) fell ill in the February and I am now the person she depends on to sort her finances, look after her health needs etc. True she is in a care home so its not day to day caring but it does seem ironic that of her 15 nieces an nephews I'm the only one that visits and I have now lost my Dad too, so where I should have no "elder" responsibilities I have a 95 year old aunt to look after!

She lost her husband and only daughter within 9 months of each other som years earlier.

So don't rely on nieces and nephews to look after you!

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

True I did have a 'career' but the main reason for my late motherhood was that I didn't find the one I wanted to make babies with until I was 34 and then (due to a brain tumour I found out many years later) needed IVF to conceive. It's kept me young though and our house is the "go to" place for Cadi's friends as we welcome the kids, are laid back about sleepovers and crashing out after a night out and leave them to their own devices, within reason. Consequently they are polite, well behaved and tell me thing they won't tell their parents! Som of them have grans my age :blush:.

2 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

It's kept me young though

I wish it had worked like that for me! We were 19 when we had our first kid and I always had this image of us as one day being smugly youthful empty-nesters, still in the prime of life. Now we're nearly there and honestly, I feel pretty much like the granddad I am...

8 hours ago, magictime said:

I wish it had worked like that for me! We were 19 when we had our first kid and I always had this image of us as one day being smugly youthful empty-nesters, still in the prime of life. Now we're nearly there and honestly, I feel pretty much like the granddad I am...

I've been called many things during my life, but grandad is my favourite :)

I retired at 51 with an income of around 11K from investments, no debts. My boat costs me £1500 a year all in, I allow 1K a year for repairs. Living on 8.5K a year might fill some with horrors, they might spend that much on brand new cars, designer label clothes and eating out at 'to be seen in' restaurants. If you're lucky though, not blighted by such needs, you can live comfortably on that. I'm lucky in that I like a simple life and enjoy fixing things rather than throwing them away, and feel no need to conform to any fashions of the time. This leaves me plenty of money, and the time, for my many leisure interests.

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

I retired at 51 with an income of around 11K from investments, no debts. My boat costs me £1500 a year all in, I allow 1K a year for repairs. Living on 8.5K a year might fill some with horrors, they might spend that much on brand new cars, designer label clothes and eating out at 'to be seen in' restaurants.

To be fair, on the flip side, a lot of people in this country can only dream of having £8.5k a year left over after tax and housing costs. A full-time worker on minimum wage probably sees less than £13k after tax and would be lucky to pay less than £6k in rent, for a comparable income of less than £7k. Plenty of pensioners etc. are living on similar amounts. So that's not even a particularly low income in the grand scheme of things, although of course you're right that a lot of people would regard it as a pittance.

10 hours ago, Gareth E said:

I retired at 51 with an income of around 11K from investments, no debts. My boat costs me £1500 a year all in, I allow 1K a year for repairs. Living on 8.5K a year might fill some with horrors, they might spend that much on brand new cars, designer label clothes and eating out at 'to be seen in' restaurants. If you're lucky though, not blighted by such needs, you can live comfortably on that. I'm lucky in that I like a simple life and enjoy fixing things rather than throwing them away, and feel no need to conform to any fashions of the time. This leaves me plenty of money, and the time, for my many leisure interests.

I'll second all that. Similar expenditure and much happiness and general contentment as you say!

I think I could live off about that easily, for me its stuff like petrol costs, parking for work, paying bills for mortgage, gas electricity etc, its not actually anything other than the costs of living in a house and travelling to work everyday that actually costs the money.

I'm glad to see this, as  its not far off my income/expediture budget, I only splash out on clothes when I have "nothing to wear". I pretty much eat and drink what I like, that being a pleasure, I can always trim back a bit if I am over budget for the month.

When [eventually] I am liveaboard, I  will eat simply, [if not moored outside Sainsbury]. Fresh fruit and veg will keep for ages if stored properly. I have done a bit of crofting and offshore sailing, and its surprising how well you can eat, if you are too busy to plan your next trip to Tesco. You never starve, but always seem to run out of lemons for the G&T

Edited by LadyG
  • Haha 1