moorings? ha ha ha residential moorings are non extistant

Prue

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Prue said:

Actually I'm 52 , married and have 3 grown up sons, its retirement I'm after. 

You are leaving it all a bit late and so need to get a boat quickly, 50 to 51 is about the right age to retire and move onto the boat. :D

.....................Dave

16 hours ago, sueb said:

It makes a lot of sense to keep a house. One day you will need it

I sold my house in 2007 it recently sold again for five grand less than I sold it for so not a very good investment. If I ever am unlucky enough to have to move into a house I will simply rent one. In nice parts of .the uk a nice property is available for 5/600 quid a month. After all there are no pockets in shrouds so best spend it  whilst still on Earth.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

42 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I sold my house in 2007 it recently sold again for five grand less than I sold it for so not a very good investment. If I ever am unlucky enough to have to move into a house I will simply rent one. In nice parts of .the uk a nice property is available for 5/600 quid a month. After all there are no pockets in shrouds so best spend it  whilst still on Earth.

Couldn't agree more.

Just now, LadyG said:
4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Its just a paying hobby, not many hours.

But the current generation has to expect it, and I don't think it is realistic, my last proper employment was 30 hours hard labour, and I was only 52!

It must be time for me to retire, I don't recal typing any of that! 

32 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I am not sure that age 52 I would consider narrowboating as a means of retirement, I  am 71 and retiring, I  can't imagine stopping at 52

29 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I can't imagine working til 71

I was in the fortunate position of being able to retire at aged 45 - best thing I ever did.

I would like to work until I am 67, which is when I can claim my pensions, State and Teaching Pension but my health isnt allowing that to happen, all I know is a lot of people dont work, I dont know how they manage to survive, maybe its a matter of living carefully but a hell of a lot of people dont work so it must be possible to create another way of life that isnt simply working till you drop dead.

I'll be frank, I could JUST have retired 20 years ago, but I like to "work", if i am doing something I like, its not a job, its a paying hobby.

8 minutes ago, Prue said:

I would like to work until I am 67, which is when I can claim my pensions, State and Teaching Pension but my health isnt allowing that to happen, all I know is a lot of people dont work, I dont know how they manage to survive, maybe its a matter of living carefully but a hell of a lot of people dont work so it must be possible to create another way of life that isnt simply working till you drop dead.

They're the generation before you, when employers handed out golden handshakes, then golden goodbyes, paid off well paid established staff to replace them with youngsters, who don t get superannuation and are on short term contracts.

When I was a Civil Servant, once "in" it was easy to plot a lifetime sailing gently towards 40 years, and retirement on a cracking pension.

Edited by LadyG

Where I work , you cant stay there after 60, everyone is offered a retirement package and takes it, teaching is a young persons job, Im knackered, my plan is motivated by the desire, like most, to enjoy life whilst still healthy enough to have an adventure. Living on a narrow boat is my adventure, you are all doing it so its doable.

1 minute ago, Prue said:

Where I work , you cant stay there after 60, everyone is offered a retirement package and takes it, teaching is a young persons job, Im knackered, my plan is motivated by the desire, like most, to enjoy life whilst still healthy enough to have an adventure. Living on a narrow boat is my adventure, you are all doing it so its doable.

Thats why i always planned early retirement... to enjoy it whilst young enough to .... dont have pots of money, but certainly have enough to do all the things i enjoy and the quality of life far outweighs the stress of working mortgages etc etc

Rick

11 minutes ago, Prue said:

I am surprised: how does this tie in with the State pension age of 67, when it was 60 only a few years ago. Not sure employers can refuse to offer  employment [ageism]

And it does not take in to account that those who have an easy job [lol], for eg I had to retire myself from working with racehorses, the average age of my peers was 19. Very few could do that job from age 17 to age 57, never mind 67. its totally ridiculous.

Edited by LadyG

29 minutes ago, Prue said:

You are correct: my five neighbours are aged 55 to 77 and as far  as I can see, none of them work, maybe one does as I see him coming in about 9.00 am. The Council built flats nearby, 12 flats with one or two beds, none of them work.

Most of them are in rented acommodation. I can't afford £500pcm in rent, which may explain why I am working and they are not.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

I am surprised: how does this tie in with the State pension age of 67, when it was 60 only a few years ago. Not sure employers can refuse to offer  employment [ageism]

And it does not take in to account that those who have an easy job [lol], for eg I had to retire myself from working with racehorses, the average age of my peers was 19. Very few could do that job from age 17 to age 57, its totally ridiculous.

Couldnt agree more , its a very unfair system for those in hard manual employment , a lot having to leave through health grounds before coming close to retirement age leaving them living on pitiful state handouts and in some cases losing their employee pension rights ending up on a basic state pension..... a case in point is my mums second husband, he worked in a warehouse until the age of 65 despite 2 hernia ops he all but dragged himself to work in his final few years before retirement just to meet the conditions of his pension.

Rick