moorings? ha ha ha residential moorings are non extistant

Prue

Featured Posts

Hi

I had the bright idea of selling my house and living on a narrow boat.....seems that so did everyone else...if there are 30,000 people owning barges, narrow boats or wide beams, where are the moored, I have found 1 mooring available in west Yorkshire, in Wakefield town centre! why would anyone want to live there? so is everyone just rocking up where they want and who checks? whats the crack out there? how is everyone living if there are no moorings available? please someone let me in on the secret.

5 minutes ago, oats said:

No realistic

So what about the many many liveaboards of many years standing who move around the system full time? I am going to do that again very very soon and will not need or indeed use a mooring. My little trip in the spring to include Bristol and York amongst others would make having any form of mooring let alone a residential one a completely unecesary waste of money. After all there is nothing in uk law or Waterways " Law " stating a need for amooring to live on a boat.

29 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

So what about the many many liveaboards of many years standing who move around the system full time? I am going to do that again very very soon and will not need or indeed use a mooring. My little trip in the spring to include Bristol and York amongst others would make having any form of mooring let alone a residential one a completely unecesary waste of money. After all there is nothing in uk law or Waterways " Law " stating a need for amooring to live on a boat.

This is ment in the most bestist of taste!! Not quite shure what you are getting at, are you arguing about my comment ' no realistic' or do you agree, not going to get into heated arguments, just didn't understand what you meant. We are full time livaboards cruise from feb to dec then take a winter mooring in a marina so agree full time mooring a waste of money. My point was too many residential moorings is making the system seem like a housing estate,

Edited by Guest
Added text

15 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You need to find out the terms and conditions of some local moorings. Ours state we can stay on our mooring for 11 months of each year. Going out for a month isn't exactly going to be a problem.

Precisely. We have a friend who lives in a fab park home with an elleven month useage. The park fully closes down for february and they have a full month for peanuts in a villa in Malta.

46 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

You need to find out the terms and conditions of some local moorings. Ours state we can stay on our mooring for 11 months of each year. Going out for a month isn't exactly going to be a problem.

it is if you are looking for 'alternative (i.e. cheap) housing' and have no intention to even start the engine.

Prue - welcome to the reality of live-aboarding.

..............  I was just contemplating more efficient ways of living aboard a 7ft wide steel tube.  

why don't marinas arrange a hardstanding where the tubes can be ranged alongside an access track with elec and water connections?  

..................  oh yes, of course residential home parks do it better.  

Edited by Murflynn

7 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

it is if you are looking for 'alternative (i.e. cheap) housing' and have no intention to even start the engine.

Prue - welcome to the reality of live-aboarding.

..............  I was just contemplating more efficient ways of living aboard a 7ft wide steel tube.  

why don't marinas arrange a hardstanding where the tubes can be ranged alongside an access track with elec and water connections?  

..................  oh yes, of course residential home parks do it better.  

At our marina your month away from your berth could easily be ashore if you so choose. 

2 hours ago, pruegreenwood@gmail.com said:

how is everyone living if there are no moorings available? please someone let me in on the secret.

Most folks will move to where there are moorings, rather than expect moorings to be available where they want them.

There are many moorings available, but, may well not be exactly where you want them, or at a price you are prepared to pay.

Example : Residential moorings are becoming 'rare' in the South East / London, even at £12,000 - £15,000 per annum, but are readily available in Nottinghamshire for £4000 per annum.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 09/09/2017 at 13:30, pruegreenwood@gmail.com said:

Hi

I had the bright idea of selling my house and living on a narrow boat.....seems that so did everyone else...if there are 30,000 people owning barges, narrow boats or wide beams, where are the moored, I have found 1 mooring available in west Yorkshire, in Wakefield town centre! why would anyone want to live there? so is everyone just rocking up where they want and who checks? whats the crack out there? how is everyone living if there are no moorings available? please someone let me in on the secret.

The secret is not to live on a full status 'residential' mooring. The landies don't like them and fiercely oppose granting of planning permission (necessary for full status residential) whenever any are proposed, and most mooring providers don't like them because an empty leisure boat on a mooring is intrinsically less problematic than a boat with a human bean and a dog or or two living in it. (The human beans tend to expect stuff like parking spaces, security gates, electricity supplies, water taps, rubbish disposal, sewage disposal, letter boxes, postcodes, electoral roll registration etc, and the human beans also have an irritating habit of squabbling with one  another over stuff like dog shit and parking and junk littering up the place and expecting the mooring owner to be the referee.)

This is why if you search for full status residential moorings you don't find that many. Or any.

People who do actually live on their boats on leisure moorings consequently get very good at concealing the fact, by claiming that instead of living aboard they just 'spend a lot of time on their boat', without piling the bank up with junk or making any requests of the landlord for stuff like post boxes etc as above. Not 'rocking the boat', one could say.

The best way however of living on your boat is to 'continuously cruise', which means having no mooring and just cruising around the system stopping only for a few days in any given place. You'll obviously need to arrange yourself an income that doesn't involve turning up week in week out at a place of work, but lots of boaters manage this by having jobs like computer programmer or author, for example. Then they can work from the boat using the internet rather than a fixed place office.

Dunno if that helps much, but these are the secrets you were asking about. 

Oh and welcome to the forum by the way!!

• Love 1
  • Happy 1

Thanks that has made me laugh..thing is, I kind of need to earn a living, I have a very good job currently which does expect me to turn in, my plan is to give up work for 6 months and potter. I could move around but I know Ill get bored and hungry if I dont work, I have debts to pay off, oh what a lovely thought to run away and not pay my bills, but then what? I am not sure that I want to be on the run from debt collectors and be for ever looking over my shoulder for not paying my Student Loan back.:giggles:

3 minutes ago, pruegreenwood@gmail.com said:

Thanks that has made me laugh..thing is, I kind of need to earn a living, I have a very good job currently which does expect me to turn in, my plan is to give up work for 6 months and potter. I could move around but I know Ill get bored and hungry if I dont work, I have debts to pay off, oh what a lovely thought to run away and not pay my bills, but then what? I am not sure that I want to be on the run from debt collectors and be for ever looking over my shoulder for not paying my Student Loan back.:giggles:

Quite right. It's hard to run far at a maximum speed of 4 m.p.h.

10 minutes ago, pruegreenwood@gmail.com said:

You can in the right area continuously cruise and hold down a job.

We have many miles of waterway within an hour or so commute of our jobs which we will be making use of in the not so distant future.

As toy boaters it makes sense for us to have a home mooring. When we move onboard less so.

Edited by Naughty Cal

On 09/09/2017 at 16:37, pruegreenwood@gmail.com said:

I've an idea one strategy to fully legitimately wriggle out of paying any of it back is to avoid earning more that £21k pa, or some such similar sum. 

I think earning £21k would stave off the boredom and still keep you in beer and diesel.

Oh, you sort of mentioned food too...

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

I've an idea one strategy to fully legitimately wriggle out of paying any of it back is to avoid earning more that £21k pa, or some such similar sum. 

I think earning £21k would stave off the boredom and still keep you in beer and diesel.

Oh, you sort of mentioned food too...

Not sure i would bother getting out of bed for £21k!

3 hours ago, pruegreenwood@gmail.com said:

Hi

Of the 30,000 or so people, a good proportion are recreational boaters who use their boats for leisure and therefore live in houses etc. There is also a substantial number who live on board permanently and of those, many are Continuous Cruisers, with no permanent moorings. They are subject to licence conditions which require them to move, at the most, after 14 days in one place.

See the CRT licence details on their web site, link below.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/licensing-your-boat

Howard