Leaking window

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

Having a problem with a leaking window. Our 15 year old nb had quite a few window leaks when we bought her but following the good advice from here, a combination of Cpt Tulley's etc etc and sikoflex has solved all but one of the leaks. The remaining one is baffling me. Then again I get baffled easily. Pic below.

This is a close up of the bottom of the inside frame showing the drain hole and the bead of  water that 'appears' when it rains.The bead of water is in the direction of the back of the boat (and hence the rear end of the window frame). The drain hole is forward of the water bead. As the back of the boat is lower in the water the bead does not run into the hole. I am at a loss to see where the bead is coming from, which then gets bigger and drips onto the window ledge. I have cleaned out the drain hole from the outside. Is this just  a case of drilling a small hole in the rubber seal where it is beading and let it drain into the window channel below and then out through the exterior drain, or is the water likely to be coming up through the seal from below so I need to drill a small hole from the outside into the window channel?

Alternatively, I could put an elephant on the bow which would then allow the bead to flow forwards and out.

I wasnt quite accurate with the truth in my opening lines. There is also another window that leaks when it is shut (at the top) but fine when open. It is obvioulsly the black 'foam' sealing strip that is past its best. The one that seals the top opening section. Where can one buy that sealing strip?

IMAG0462.jpg

Edited by Dr Bob

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks Rusty, that link looks very good......only prob at the moment is we are cruising around - do you know if any of the chandlers stock the self adhesive neoprene foam stuff?

3 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Looks to me like the rubber seal between glass and frame is a bit gungy, maybe a clean out of the seal then a good sealer might help.

Yes, Mike, definitely a bit gungy.....but is it likely the water is appearing from the bottom, ie leaking into the channel under the rubber (from outside?) and then coming up? The rain has now stopped so I will get out with the capt tulleys this afternoon and seal on the outside of this bit.

15 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Thanks Rusty, that link looks very good......only prob at the moment is we are cruising around - do you know if any of the chandlers stock the self adhesive neoprene foam stuff?

19 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Sorry, i don't. You can always find an eBay seller  that offers click and collect at Argos. 

Edited by rusty69

Just an update on this thread. With all the rain in the last few days I have solved the problem.

The water in the photo was coming up from the rubber seal rather than down the inside of the window. I therefore applied a couple of Cpt Tolley's stuff to the outside of the window, at the bottom, ie just outside of where the water was. It was obviously leaking in there and flooding the channel at the bottom of the window and coming up through the internal seal. No problem now after yesterdays deluge.

Note to myself - must go round all windows and seal the bottom glass/frame seals. I had assumed it was only the top of the frame to hull seal that was important. Capt Tulley's stuff is wonderful.

9 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Capt Tulley's stuff is wonderful

I've just had similar success on our sailing boat windows with applications of Cpt Tolley, although I suspect it won't be a long term fix. I've had limited success using it before on different leaky bits on board. 

Always worth a try though 

• Greenie 1