Facebook, yobs canal boats and a lock

bigcol

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, bigcol said:

I have to say I have 5 grandchildren all lovely, and proud of them

But the difference in the kids between the 2 family's are stark

you can see the difference in the behaviour,

both my daughters have different views on parenting.

the way kids up to 14 years old talk to people teachers and parents beggars belief.

aparently it's oh dadddd, it's not the way no more, your too strict.

this is okay way of bringing up children nowdays

so yes. I'm strict, and maybe a dinosaur Rex as my grandson calls me

I hope, sincerely, extinction is not around the corner Rex.

Just now, bigcol said:

I have to say I have 5 grandchildren all lovely, and proud of them

But the difference in the kids between the 2 family's are stark

you can see the difference in the behaviour,

both my daughters have different views on parenting.

the way kids up to 14 years old talk to people teachers and parents beggars belief.

aparently it's oh dadddd, it's not the way no more, your too strict.

this is okay way of bringing up children nowdays

so yes. I'm strict, and maybe a dinosaur Rex as my grandson calls me

Well compared to my rebellious youth my two sons are a big disappointment.

I had high hopes for the youngest but his teacher praised his perfect behaviour at the last parents' evening.

The eldest is 16 in a couple of weeks and shows no interest in the life of debauchery that I led when I was his age.

I wish I knew where I was going right.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Dharl said:

sort of, maybe a compulsory community service rather than national serveice (ok picking hols) but a chance to give back to the coimmunity as well as learn new life skills and how to interact with people and that life is not always about me me me....

Yes, I think that's a great idea.

Plato quoted Socrates with (paraphrased) 'youth of today' that's just standard. 

'The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.' 

The real issue in my mind is the absolute destruction of services. Where have all the youth workers gone? The youth service in most local authorities were not ring fenced, the Tories saw this as a luxury and decimated them first. 

The very thing that most people here seem to be advocating (meaningful use of time) is probably the very thing they voted to have cut. 

I have some sympathy with the notion of self protection and protecting ones property, as Tomsk says. I'm a pacifist so who know what might happen, but to scream, shout and use force is surely acting in the same way as the kids. 

My my two year old is absolutely charming most of the time, but as any toddler he has his moments. If I respond to him by shouting then all he learns is to shout back. The same principles apply. 

Adults need to be the example, lead the way, and you know what, if they ain't getting that from their parents then I advocate the community stepping in.

Another quote from what I believe is an African proverb is it takes a village to raise a child. 

• Greenie 3

14 hours ago, Wanted said:

It won't surprise some of you that I disagree with the notion of national service or boot camp style punishments. These young people, their behaviour not excused in anyway,  I can almost guarantee that their home life is harder and more brutal than any punishment you can dream up. 

But universal community service doesn't need to be boot-camp style or even seen as a punishment. It could be part of young people's compulsory education, teaching them a bit more about the society outside of their own limited sphere. When kids get out of their neighbourhoods and see things outside of their own rather narrow life experiences it can open their eyes to the world and give them a bit more awareness, understanding and even greater curiosity and ambition.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 2

Just now, blackrose said:

But universal community service doesn't need to be seen as a punishment. It could be part of young people's compulsory education, teaching them a bit more about the society outside of their own limited sphere. When kids get out of their neighbourhoods and see things outside of their own rather narrow life experiences it can open their eyes to the world and give them a bit more awareness, understanding and even ambition.

Agreed, see my post above re what used to be my profession.. 

On 08/09/2017 at 12:54, cereal tiller said:

Fobney Lock on the K and A is the same except the Local "University Challenge Team" use it as a Swimming Pool.

This type of Incident is the reason That my Narrowboat has not been on a Canal for 10 Years .

CT

I've not seen that sort of thing there for a least 4 years, probably far longer, and even when I did they weren't any problem.

Talk of national service always makes me laugh, of course there was no such thing as a yob back then!

Keith

Having just watched the video I'm wondering what all the fuss is about, terrorising? Don't make me laugh, this was just a bunch of kids making a nuisance of themselves. Do you really think there would have been a video at all if this was a truly serious incident?

Talk about over reaction, I think there needs to be some sort of national service brought in for frightened old farts to teach them how to interact with youngsters.

Keith

• Greenie 2

9 hours ago, carlt said:

Ahhh..."The Youth of Today"...The anthem of so many ageing folk looking back through rose tinted spectacles at "better times" that were no different to today.

Not sure what it means but there is one obvious difference.

None of the gangs pictured from the past hid their faces.

From a recent personal experience I can state that the police are powerless and even if they got there before it was all over, would not arrest any of this gang.

13 minutes ago, canalboat said:

Not sure what it means but there is one obvious difference.

None of the gangs pictured from the past hid their faces.

From a recent personal experience I can state that the police are powerless and even if they got there before it was all over, would not arrest any of this gang.

IMG_0730.JPG

We certainly do not want to go back to National service. The reason we have simply theeeee best armed forces in the world is because all members of said forces are volunteers. One volunteer is and always has been worth ten pressed men, enlisting scrotes will just lower standards whatever the reason the said scrote is a scrote.

2 hours ago, Wanted said:

Plato quoted Socrates with (paraphrased) 'youth of today' that's just standard. 

'The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise.' 

The real issue in my mind is the absolute destruction of services. Where have all the youth workers gone? The youth service in most local authorities were not ring fenced, the Tories saw this as a luxury and decimated them first. 

The very thing that most people here seem to be advocating (meaningful use of time) is probably the very thing they voted to have cut. 

I have some sympathy with the notion of self protection and protecting ones property, as Tomsk says. I'm a pacifist so who know what might happen, but to scream, shout and use force is surely acting in the same way as the kids. 

My my two year old is absolutely charming most of the time, but as any toddler he has his moments. If I respond to him by shouting then all he learns is to shout back. The same principles apply. 

Adults need to be the example, lead the way, and you know what, if they ain't getting that from their parents then I advocate the community stepping in.

Another quote from what I believe is an African proverb is it takes a village to raise a child. 

I would love to be a pacifist but live on planet Earth and facts are that someone else has to do the fighting for the pacifist, that is reality.

14 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

We certainly do not want to go back to National service. The reason we have simply theeeee best armed forces in the world is because all members of said forces are volunteers. One volunteer is and always has been worth ten pressed men, enlisting scrotes will just lower standards whatever the reason the said scrote is a scrote.

I would love to be a pacifist but live on planet Earth and facts are that someone else has to do the fighting for the pacifist, that is reality.

I would have loved you to have met Peter, the guy I rented a room from when I first left home. He was one of the first soldiers to liberate Belsen, he refused to carry a gun. 

9 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

The fighting isn't done for the pacifist, it's done for those who believe that fighting is the only way of solving anything. 

All Christians in theory are pacifists but very few are,

which goes to show that very few are true believers.

Keith 

1 hour ago, Steilsteven said:

Having just watched the video I'm wondering what all the fuss is about, terrorising? Don't make me laugh, this was just a bunch of kids making a nuisance of themselves. Do you really think there would have been a video at all if this was a truly serious incident?

Talk about over reaction, I think there needs to be some sort of national service brought in for frightened old farts to teach them how to interact with youngsters.

Keith

My thoughts exactly; it's not the most threatening situation anyone could find themselves in. As I mentioned in a previous post, the behaviour of the kids is often determined by how you interact with them.

1 hour ago, Wanted said:

I would have loved you to have met Peter, the guy I rented a room from when I first left home. He was one of the first soldiers to liberate Belsen, he refused to carry a gun. 

I wonder if he would have managed to liberate Belsen if all his colleagues hadn't had guns either.

• Greenie 3

Doesn't look any different to what I encountered on the Erewash Canal a few months back. Just a bunch of kids showing off to each other, but doesn't look as if any damage was caused or any real threats were made. 

Bottom line? There is eff all you can do in the way of effective preventative or punitive action (and incidentally I don't  think any of them actually did anything wrong - there is no statutory offence of 'standing on a gunnel with intent') and talk of hitting people with windlasses or other robust responses is just silly bolleaux.

When faced with marauding crowds of, er, children, may I suggest engaging with then in a ferociously proactive friendly manner, seeking to get them to help with the lock whilst giving then a low key warning about where not to stand, asking how school's going for them, have they studied the local history of the canal, have they been on holiday yet, etc etc.

This will scare the crap out of them.   

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

I wonder if he would have managed to liberate Belsen if all his colleagues hadn't had guns either.

Absolutely correct. Having ideals is great as long as others don't do the real work for you.

6 hours ago, blackrose said:

But universal community service doesn't need to be boot-camp style or even seen as a punishment. It could be part of young people's compulsory education, teaching them a bit more about the society outside of their own limited sphere. When kids get out of their neighbourhoods and see things outside of their own rather narrow life experiences it can open their eyes to the world and give them a bit more awareness, understanding and even greater curiosity and ambition.

When I was in 6th form we had a two hour period once a week where we did something for the community. Obviously it was implemented in order to open our eyes somewhat and teach us life skills. It included activities such as working with Downs Syndrome folk or helping out at an old folks home. H&S would probably preclude such activities these days. 

17 minutes ago, carlt said:

I think today's problems lie in the youth of today's non-reliance on recreational drugs and loud banging music.

I spent the 80s too busy pogoing and slam dancing the night away in dismal clubs hopped up on speed and mushrooms to be anti-social..

I spent the early 90s too busy raving in remote fields to hippy sound systems, hugging strangers hopped up on MDMA and Acid to be anti-social.

Back in my day music was just noise with no coherent vocals whereas the youth of today are condemned to listen to the melodies and thoughtful lyrics of the likes of Ed Sheeran, Adele and Sam Smith...blights on society.

How on Earth are our kids supposed to relieve their pent up energy listening to bright and lively tunes, sipping coffee in Starbucks instead of dancing 'til you drop in an old warehouse, saucer eyed from legal highs?

Ban Sheeran and his musically adept cohorts and never mind boot camp...Let's introduce compulsory Raves and bring back the foot long Boots Extra Hold hairspray can.

thanks for the gentle reminder of my youth.

I've read through this thread, the gung ho 'whack em where it hurts' and the bleeding heart liberals that think the kids are not understood and have a hard life at home.

To put the whole thing in perspective-

I showed my wife the video on Utube, she said "Thats horrible, I would be terrified if that happened to us, perhaps we should cancel our holiday and stay at home"