Facebook, yobs canal boats and a lock

bigcol

Featured Posts

https://www.facebook.com/groups/narrowboatusers/permalink/10159518402145352/

to to be fair watching through the video, the most alarming was the fact they all were covering their faces, one telling the owners he's a Gangster.

seriously what are the kids of today like???  because they are kids, who haven't been taught respect or discipline who haven't had to grow up.

Borstal, DC, or may be 2 year military service. They need something to do!! 

So called 18 youths that need something more that what is not obviously happening for them now.

with a walking stick, windlass in my hand would have made me feel a bit more comfortable tho lol

what would have happened if either one of the gangsters got a clout armour the ear with or without windlass

or got crushed between wall and boats.

would they have all lined up quitely in the Gunnels why we crushed the whole lot?

and of course how long would the police come out to protect them from the aging crew of 4?

we have king jo long dong winding up trump, he's answer is king jo dong long is a bad man!! Lol

wonder if he wasn't a king ding dong long if he be one of these gangsters atimidating people?

give them something to do, run a country, or play with bombs and missiles lol

rant over

col

https://www.facebook.com/groups/narrowboatusers/permalink/10159518402145352/

IMG_0484.JPG

2 minutes ago, Ray T said:

How would you protect yourself if the other 17 decided to do the same to you with the windlass?

I suspect the likelihood is that the other 17 would have shown what big hard men they were by using really bad words. 

The "I'm a Gangsta!" comment from the little one demonstrates their immaturity. 

12 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

Had that have been my boat the first one to touch it would have got a windlass straight in the teeth.

Tempting as this response is, it will most likely lead to an escalation and before you know it you're facing older brothers/fathers etc and charges against yourself. The best approach is always to try and interact with groups of youths as best you can.

On a positive note I did the Rochdale last month and passed through Failsworth on a Saturday without incident; it's a marvellous canal so I hope nobody is put off by an isolated incident like this. Everyone should do it at least once! 

Obviously trouble-making yobbos nothing better to do than intimidate helpless people.

So round them up (the yobbos) - for litter picking, or something useful to society - or even two months strict military training - and two years National service -

That''s what happened to me and my and my 'gang' of friends back in the 50's. Except we were all law-abiding well behaved (scouts, church, youth club) - our only 'crime' was being eighteen!  

On balance I would say we were all better for the experience. We were taken out of society as 'kids' and returned two years later as disciplined 'young men' with nothing in common with the younger kids we knew.

27 minutes ago, Horace42 said:

Obviously trouble-making yobbos nothing better to do than intimidate helpless people.

So round them up (the yobbos) - for litter picking, or something useful to society - or even two months strict military training - and two years National service -

That''s what happened to me and my and my 'gang' of friends back in the 50's. Except we were all law-abiding well behaved (scouts, church, youth club) - our only 'crime' was being eighteen!  

On balance I would say we were all better for the experience. We were taken out of society as 'kids' and returned two years later as disciplined 'young men' with nothing in common with the younger kids we knew.

Common sense, exactly what I wanted to say, but put better

col

7 minutes ago, Peter Reed said:

Thank you kindly Sir. 

It read as if you were suggesting that people shouldn't do the Rochdale as they will be threatened by gangs of yobs. Anyway, humour aside, I reiterate my recommendation for people to do this fascinating canal and not be put off by rare incidents like this.

2 minutes ago, rgreg said:

It read as if you were suggesting that people shouldn't do the Rochdale as they will be threatened by gangs of yobs. Anyway, humour aside, I reiterate my recommendation for people to do this fascinating canal and not be put off by rare incidents like this.

Is it rare? I recall in the early days of my reading of this forum, (2010 or so), this sort of thing was discussed regularly, and the advice tended to be to do this stretch early in the morning because the yobs would still be in bed.

I haven't seen it being discussed for a while so it's possible that the risk has changed from common, to rare, in half a decade or so, but I would remain concerned and wary - particularly given this recent event.

Problem with these kids is their brains are 10 years behind where they should be, i blame the parents.

What do you do though, give one a dig when they jump on your boat, that just brings the police into it, get your camera out, they just cover up and play up to the camera, as shown on the video...

A cattle prod would be about right, a little shock and they would be still on the floor by the time you have pulled out the lock.

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Is it rare? I recall in the early days of my reading of this forum, (2010 or so), this sort of thing was discussed regularly, and the advice tended to be to do this stretch early in the morning because the yobs would still be in bed.

I haven't seen it being discussed for a while so it's possible that the risk has changed from common, to rare, in half a decade or so, but I would remain concerned and wary - particularly given this recent event.

As far as I am aware the whole of the Manchester canal network is a lot safer than the "bad old days", with much fewer reports of incidents such as this. Of course it makes sense to be wary as there are areas where there is an increased risk, but hopefully not too great a perceived risk to stop boaters visiting. 

55 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Fobney Lock on the K and A is the same except the Local "University Challenge Team" use it as a Swimming Pool.

This type of Incident is the reason That my Narrowboat has not been on a Canal for 10 Years .

CT

Just watched the news and they wereaying about jails be full and instead of prison,youngsters should be educated. Got me thinking!!

If,and I don't know if it is,this action is against gentlemen law & I'm not sure of the legal implications, these lost boys (and girls) could be given a short sharp shock.

Use one of the numerous disused army camps, take them away and put them through their paces. I don't mean violence and bullying, but teach them disapline,show films of the effects that can be caused by their behaviour. A few hours on the parade ground and a couple of visits to the assault course. Teamwork exercises. You know the sort of thing,  I'm fairly confident there's loads of ex- servicemen being ready,able and willing to take up the role.

It may just work.

• Love 1

20 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Just watched the news and they wereaying about jails be full and instead of prison,youngsters should be educated. Got me thinking!!

If,and I don't know if it is,this action is against gentlemen law & I'm not sure of the legal implications, these lost boys (and girls) could be given a short sharp shock.

Use one of the numerous disused army camps, take them away and put them through their paces. I don't mean violence and bullying, but teach them disapline,show films of the effects that can be caused by their behaviour. A few hours on the parade ground and a couple of visits to the assault course. Teamwork exercises. You know the sort of thing,  I'm fairly confident there's loads of ex- servicemen being ready,able and willing to take up the role.

It may just work.

Years ago they had these centres

Quick short shock detention centres, we a few of them scattered around the country

whos done this then ?

That didn't work! next step 6 months to 2 years Borstal

Edited by bigcol

21 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

It may just work.

Kids of today know full well that they can just refuse, nothing bad will happen...

Also, those places are open to bullying and other sick things.