Do Owners of ex-working boats have special priveleges?

George Kennedy

Featured Posts

I don't want to get into the competencies of the Captain of Corona but if that's how the old work boats used to do it it does explain why a groove has been worn into a lot of lock gates at gunnel or top rubbing strake height. Many have been replaced of course but I did wonder because it wasn't wear that could have been caused if the gates had been opened by people. 

I observed someone do similar on the Audlem flight last month. They were steering a private Reeves built boat of Black Prince style. Clearly not a workboat. The noise of the impact was sickening. 

1 hour ago, chubby said:

As for  the  bickering -  it's embarrassing watching a pair of intelligent & knowledgable people going " Sir sir - he said .... but sir - he started it " .

Is all this really that important FFS ?

Nothing much on this forum is important! Anyway, I appreciate that bickering is a pita to watch. However, I suggest that if it were you who had someone making up lies about something you didn't say, then using those lies as a stick to beat you with in public, whilst being backed up by a pack of baying bloodhounds, you might, as I do, find it difficult to ignore. I'll try it on you sometime when you've forgotten, and see how you react.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I hope that Xenophobic comment is not based upon my European surname.

It is a comment based on your apparent inability to comprehend plain English.

I was once a young man with an old boat now I'm an old man with an old boat the gap  in age between us doesn't change. What does change is how we are percieved. When I was young the perception was we were poor because we lived on an old workboat, now it is we are snobs and above others because we have an old workboat. Can I respectfully make the observation that we are the ones who haven't changed. We haven't bought in joined an elite or a cult, we are simply doing what we have always done...

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

I was once a young man with an old boat now I'm an old man with an old boat the gap  in age between us doesn't change. What does change is how we are percieved. When I was young the perception was we were poor because we lived on an old workboat, now it is we are snobs and above others because we have an old workboat. Can I respectfully make the observation that we are the ones who haven't changed. We haven't bought in joined an elite or a cult, we are simply doing what we have always done...

As far as I'm concerned having a historic boat doesn't make you a snob. Or cliquey, or one of the self-perceived "elite". Those attributes derive from the person, not the boat. Unfortunately there are some who are like that. But one thing is certain, it is not all or probably even most. I don't know you but I've no reason to think you are a snob/cliquey/elite. If I did have such reason, it would be because I'd perceived it from your behaviour, not from your boat.