Do Owners of ex-working boats have special priveleges?

George Kennedy

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have just checked. No report has been made about the "Bear" thread, and Dylan has not received any official warning. Beyond that, I know nothing.

I am sorry that you find the moddies humourless.

Yes, his style is engaging and amusing.

Humourlessness is the last thing I'd accuse you of. Having a weird sense of humour ... well that's another matter. Anyway I think Dylan's stifling came from a snipe by another forum member, not from a mod. But also, maybe he thought it's course had run. Quit while you're ahead etc.

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have just checked. No report has been made about the "Bear" thread, and Dylan has not received any official warning. Beyond that, I know nothing.

I am sorry that you find the moddies humourless.

Yes, his style is engaging and amusing.

In which case my apologies.

He passed a comment before vanishing I interpreted as meaning he had been told to stop messing about and post sensibly.

I noted that too. If there had been discussion of him or the thread amongst the moddies, I would not be able to tell you its contents, but I think it's fair to state that no such discussion has taken place. So I'm as mystified as you are!

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Humourlessness is the last thing I'd accuse you of. Having a weird sense of humour ... well that's another matter. 

It takes one to know one, some do say.

17 hours ago, George Kennedy said:

I am the OP and you're right,  I have been quiet since asking the original question was asked and here are the reasons why.

I have been accused of "gross exaggeration " by archie57 in post #12 who claims he was there at the time but hasn't given his account of events. Bearwood Boster in post #113 suggests that archie57 and Trevor Maggs are friends so perhaps archie57 wasn't there after all but is springing to his friend's defence.

zenataomm has concluded in post #38 that although he or she is ignoring my poor spelling, I am a frustrated Sun headline writer and wannabe ex working boat owner.  Well Zena, I don't read the Sun and have no desire to write headlines for it either. I do admire the old working boats when I see them and I also admire those who own and maintain them. I can't deny that it has crossed my mind to own one but despite the fact that I can afford to buy a fleet of ex-working boats, I am not sufficiently interested.

Mr Smelly in post #42 suggested that I must have been having a bad day. I wasn't, I can't remember the last time that I had a bad day. Maybe if my name was Smelly, I'd have a few more.

Roland Elsdon in post #43 imagines that I have owned a car that I have never crashed or scratched and it is therefore in pristine condition. Better than that, he would like to see photos of it although I suspect that he was just writing that to take the mickey out of my spelling mistake. Sorry Roland, I don't have a car and haven't owned one since 1990 so I don't have any pictures for you. I did have a series of company cars though, the last being an E class Merc which cost £50,000. You're right though, I didn't scratch or crash it but that's because I know what I am doing behind the wheel of a car when driving 25,0000 miles a year.

Had I known that I was inviting personal comments and criticism, I would never asked the original question. This post is not only the last post that I will ever write on here, it is the last that I will ever read too. I have asked the moderators to delete my account but I will neither know nor care whether they do or not.

Before I finally go, just a few mentions.

Bizzard - never lose your creative streak.

MtB - I appreciate your contributions over the years

NickNorman - keep going, you have a thicker skin than me

Archie, Zena, Smelly and Roland - Go forth and multiply.

I wouldn't have said I was there, on the lockside, if I hadn't been - I don't make these things up! 

Well, after to speaking with Trevor this weekend about the incident, it went like this.

His mate, Nick got off at the junction and went ahead to get the lock ready, Trevor found the top gates still closed, but as he was about to pull in they opened. He navigated in, but had more pace than he had thought (mentioned it's not always easy to judge speed by looking forwards, and looking sideways might be a better way). The boat didn't stop in time, and as I suspected he was wanting to trap the fore-end in the gates so as not to loose it, hence the late breaking.

Nothing unusual, just one of them day to day mistakes people make when boating.

Cheers,

Mike

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

Impressive thread for just how much wrong supposition has gone on - much of it by the OP.

For example anybody who knows the boat's owner and "Archie57", would know that if the latter said he was there, he most definitely was there.  I find the suggestion that someone was lying to protect a friend offensive, and something I don't want to see on the forum.  By contrast probably just about the most experienced steerer on the cut has been prepared to admit he got something wrong, and I'm sure everybody does from time to time.

I had even managed to allow myself to be half persuaded by some reports that it wasn't actually Trevor at the tiller, (which we now learn it was) - perhaps I should stay out of such threads!

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Impressive thread for just how much wrong supposition has gone on - much of it by the OP.

For example anybody who knows the boat's owner and "Archie57", would know that if the latter said he was there, he most definitely was there.  I find the suggestion that someone was lying to protect a friend offensive, and something I don't want to see on the forum.  By contrast probably just about the most experienced steerer on the cut has been prepared to admit he got something wrong, and I'm sure everybody does from time to time.

I had even managed to allow myself to be half persuaded by some reports that it wasn't actually Trevor at the tiller, (which we now learn it was) - perhaps I should stay out of such threads!

Yes you must say 100 "Hail Marys" for your sins.

I'm hoping that Mary might be a historic boat or owner, but thinking about, I don't recall one of that name.

Anyway, if you pause for a reality check to consider how differently the thread would have gone if it had been a hire boat, you will understand why I think you are the victim of a cult. Poor you!

18 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I'm hoping that Mary might be a historic boat or owner, but thinking about, I don't recall one of that name.

Happy to help.....

HNBC Linky

The Grand Union Canal Carrying Company, (GUCCC), is often known as "The George and the Mary", because of the name of it's prototype boats, and indeed the book about it has that as its title.

Both boats survive in the ownership of the same family.

Edited by alan_fincher

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Anyway, if you pause for a reality check to consider how differently the thread would have gone if it had been a hire boat, you will understand why I think you are the victim of a cult. Poor you

Irrespective of the type of boat, I think the thread would have gone differently if there had been a jot of evidence that said anything got damaged, (or was even likely to get damaged).

There wasn't, and I suspect anybody starting such a thread about any other type of boat would have also got a hard time, (rightly so).

It was always a non-story, wasn't it, completely unconnected to the emotive title of the thread?

23 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

11 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Happy to help.....

HNBC Linky

The Grand Union Canal Carrying Company, (GUCCC), is often known as "The George and the Mary", because of the name of it's prototype boats, and indeed the book about it has that as its title.

I have the health registration details for 171 MARY's dated between 1879 and 1958, so this was a very well used 'historic' boat name for both narrow and wide beam boats.

I will admit that I have never heard of the Grand Union Canal Carrying Company Ltd. being referred to as The George and the Mary" :captain:

35 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Hmmm, yes.

You wouldn't have been able to air your opinion about working boats and their owners (again) would you Nick?

No. It would have been very dull. But only because the normally noisy ones would not have bothered to defend the hirers.

Edit: Oops, nearly missed it. I think you mean historic boats used as hobby boats, not working boats.

Edited by nicknorman

On 11/09/2017 at 13:03, mykaskin said:

Well, after to speaking with Trevor this weekend about the incident, it went like this.

His mate, Nick got off at the junction and went ahead to get the lock ready, Trevor found the top gates still closed, but as he was about to pull in they opened. He navigated in, but had more pace than he had thought (mentioned it's not always easy to judge speed by looking forwards, and looking sideways might be a better way). The boat didn't stop in time, and as I suspected he was wanting to trap the fore-end in the gates so as not to loose it, hence the late breaking.

Nothing unusual, just one of them day to day mistakes people make when boating.

Cheers,

Mike

I blame the lock wheeler for not putting brakes on 

On ‎11‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 16:39, thebfg said:

My auntie has one named after her.

I must admit I do wave when I see one, however over the last few years they have stopped waving back. shame.

simple things in life and all that.

You need to learn to wave in Polish/Hungarian/Latvian etc. ;)

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, bargeeboy said:

I blame the lock wheeler for not putting brakes on

13 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Who woke you up?

People posting in another place have been made aware of this thread, and are now even less impressed with CWDF than they usually are (!).

(Probably not unreasonably, as the whole thing seems to have stemmed from an alleged "incident" that it seems was really not an incident at all)

8 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

People posting in another place have been made aware of this thread, and are now even less impressed with CWDF than they usually are (!).

(Probably not unreasonably, as the whole thing seems to have stemmed from an alleged "incident" that it seems was really not an incident at all)

Which other place is that? Not THE other place, surely? (Unless I missed it). Maybe the other place being cult HQ at Braunston? Is the High Priest in a strop? Much petulant stamping of feet?

Edited by nicknorman

12 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

People in the other place spent  13 pages welcoming a new member. They are surely are a friendly bunch. 

Edited by rusty69

32 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

What I can't understand is why "people in another place" should be concerned about CWDF and what it does or for that matter why people in CWDF are concerned about "another place".

Each to their own!  If people like CWDF they will use it if people like "another place" they will use that.  Some will even, heaven forbid, use both places!!!!!

That doesn't mean we need/want (or they need/want) bulletins of what is going on in each place.

I do note however "another place" seems more interested and critical about what CWDF is doing and how it is being run than vice versa.

2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

What I can't understand is why "people in another place" should be concerned about CWDF and what it does or for that matter why people in CWDF are concerned about "another place".

Each to their own!  If people like CWDF they will use it if people like "another place" they will use that.  Some will even, heaven forbid, use both places!!!!!

So in the same token. why should anyone be concerned if people use both?

5 minutes ago, thebfg said:

So in the same token. why should anyone be concerned if people use both?

They shouldn't I was lacking a tongue in cheek emoticon.  However I don't feel posts like the one reporting "another place's" views on a thread add anything to the value friendliness and general pleasant nature of the forum.

To me it just seems like a little opportunity to stir things a bit.