Sinking on Leeds Liverpool

Neil2

Featured Posts

This was the scene at lock 39 (Bank Newton) this morning.  It's an Alvechurch hire boat from Reedley marina.IMG_0996.JPG.b566f52da314e95b712d456b62f7f24d.JPG

The good news is everyone got off the boat safely and though the boat looks well wedged in, the lock was cleared and back in action by about 2pm.

Apparently the baseplate at the bow got caught on a ledge as the boat started to descend, and though the crew realised what was wrong, by then the stem had got caught up in the paddle gear and they simply couldn't close it so it was abandon ship.   A 60' boat is quite a snug fit in these locks so keeping the bow and stern clear requires constant vigilance, as this crew found out.  

Edited by Neil2

I'm a little puzzled by this sinking (not having seen anyone sunk this way). It has clearly happened so I'm not questioning the veracity of it but it said in the original post that the reason that they couldn't stop the lock draining was because the bow (stem) had got caught up in the paddle gear and yet the paddle on the bottom gate looks to be closed, how have they managed to close it with the weight of the boat on it?

These locks are quite well known for having bricks sticking out that can catch on boats. It happened to me a few years ago in a Pennine cruisers hire boat but I can't see how that can happen in a wide lock with only one nb in it ?

glad no one was hurt and hopefully not too much damage to the boat. Think this is only the second season that abc have been running a couple of boats from Reedley. Not bad looking boats either. 

1 hour ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I'm a little puzzled by this sinking (not having seen anyone sunk this way). It has clearly happened so I'm not questioning the veracity of it but it said in the original post that the reason that they couldn't stop the lock draining was because the bow (stem) had got caught up in the paddle gear and yet the paddle on the bottom gate looks to be closed, how have they managed to close it with the weight of the boat on it?

That bit doesn't make sense, dose it?

It happened to me once at Knowle. I was diagonally across the lock, wind blowing the bow to the left and a rope on the right at the stern. A small ledge on the edge of the side of the bow caught the lockside. We dropped paddles and went astern at the same time and slipped off the ledge back to floating normally. No problem because we were watching but with hindsight not a clever way to go down a lock. Certainly not my finest moment! 

56 minutes ago, AndrewIC said:

Looks like the bow is caught on the gate, and perhaps the port side base on a protrusion in the lock wall, giving two points of support. Fenner gear box on the paddle so they will be very slow to close.

This section of canal is full of renter boats and the pounds go up and down like mad.

ive just spent 6 weeks up there and it's probably the best bit of the canal on the L&L and loved it.

From what I can see here is strange but maybe the pound was high that he entered the lock and he got caught on the gate.

glad everyone is safe and the boat is ok.

12 hours ago, Neil2 said:

by then the stem had got caught up in the paddle gear and they simply couldn't close it so it was abandon ship. 

This sounds possible, but unlikely. More likely, they didn't appreciate that dropping a paddle when there's still a head of water across it is very different from the normal action when there's not water pressure. The paddle will not just fall when released and has to be wound down with almost as much effort as it takes to lift it up.

MP.

14 hours ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

the paddle gear was bent by the boat and wouldn't close. After the boat had sunk the paddle gear was straightened and the paddle closed so the boat could be refloated. The photo must have been taken after this.

23 hours ago, NickF said:

It happened to me once at Knowle. I was diagonally across the lock, wind blowing the bow to the left and a rope on the right at the stern. A small ledge on the edge of the side of the bow caught the lockside. We dropped paddles and went astern at the same time and slipped off the ledge back to floating normally. No problem because we were watching but with hindsight not a clever way to go down a lock. Certainly not my finest moment! 

Difference being, Knowle locks are 70ft, this is a 60ft boat in a 56ft lock. He would have no room to go astern.