Sign writing/Vinyls ?

mrsmelly

Featured Posts

Evening peeps. I am having boat painted at moment and it will need names etc putting on. It is NOT a " Traditional " boat as it is a modern purpose built liveaboard so I don't need to comply with any form of lettering etc. There is a good chap round here that can sign it but what do peeps think about Vinyls or sommett? Plus points as far as I can see would be can be whacked on quickly and not so dependant on being in the dock if I have come out and easily removed and replaced? Anyone out there done this and any pointers on who to contact to make them up? Ebay or whatever?

Thanks

I couldn't get anyone interested in painting the name on our narrowboat in central Scotland and found SAC Boatnames had a great selection of fonts and styles along with various decals etc. Prompt service and good price with clear instructions included.  Job done

15 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Make sure the painted surface is lovely and smooth, any nibs will poke through and trap bits of air with vinyls.  Mine have been on Lady Olga for 20 years now, still as good as new, and colour fast. 

Thanks to you all. Deffo doing the vinyl thing now :cheers:

We used a local firm that put vinyls on vans etc. He understood exactly what we wanted and was great value. He came to the boat and installed them for us, so the end result is spot on. Don't think he charged us for the fitting. 

There is a half way house between vinyl and sign writing, which is to get a stick on vinyl stencil made. Stick on the vinyl, paint in the letter openings, then remove the stencil. Single colour lettering is easiest, but multi colours and shading could be possible with subsequent stencils laid down when the first paint has dried. Similar to the technique Banksy uses I believe. I think the glue used on the stencils is weaker than the one used for permanent graphics to make them easy to remove.

Did this on my boat. I'm not steady handed, or neat enough to consider learning to sign write, but too mean to pay someone who can! Can't recommend a supplier of stencils, as the one I used doesn't appear to be trading any more.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

12 hours ago, AllanD said:

I couldn't get anyone interested in painting the name on our narrowboat in central Scotland and found SAC Boatnames had a great selection of fonts and styles along with various decals etc. Prompt service and good price with clear instructions included.  Job done

I had excellent service from them.

12 hours ago, bizzard said:

Make sure the painted surface is lovely and smooth, any nibs will poke through and trap bits of air with vinyls.  

if that happens, just puncture the air bubble with a sharp point and rub the vinyl smooth.

Good to hear that the graphics are still OK Dylan. We are still in business producing vinyl graphics or paint stencils to individual customer requirements. We like to think that we provide a custom job to individual requirements - no online order forms. We like to discuss the job with the customer to be able to supply exact requirements. If we have a photo of the boat then we can produce a draft image of the final graphics.

Paint stencils are a good alternative to vinyl and can include shading on a single stencil.

Mike

Stick on Signs

I remember when I posted a similar question on this forum over 10 years ago and got a very different set of responses. Most people who replied spoke as though vinyl lettering was somehow sacrilegious on boats. I guess times have changed and people have seen sense.

Edited by blackrose

3 hours ago, blackrose said:

I remember when I posted a similar question on this forum over 10 years ago and got a very different set of responses. Most people who replied spoke as though vinyl lettering was somehow sacrilegious on boats. I guess times have changed and people have seen sense.

no, we guilty ones are just non-believers (boat atheists)  B)