Erewash canal.

Boat&Bikes

Featured Posts

Having cruised the Erewash recently to attend the IWA event the word we heard several times was about the risk of damage/theft if you moor in most places on the canal 

I don't know how true this is but I did hear of several thefts

We moored for two nights at Potters lock and felt safe but there were several boats there 

However  I don't know how valid all the warnings are

Haggis 

12 minutes ago, haggis said:

Having cruised the Erewash recently to attend the IWA event the word we heard several times was about the risk of damage/theft if you moor in most places on the canal 

I don't know how true this is but I did hear of several thefts

We moored for two nights at Potters lock and felt safe but there were several boats there 

However  I don't know how valid all the warnings are

Haggis 

We went up to the end and back earlier this year and did not ferlva problem pretty much anywhere that we might want to stop. Nothing more than bring sensible line on any canal.

35 minutes ago, matty40s said:

The day you leave Trent lock, do a bit more than 3 hours up the Earwash:D. Get the scuzzy bits done and then enjoy the rural upper section.

What scuzzy bits? We've cruised to the end 3 times now. Never any trouble.  The first time was a hot bank holiday with lots of anglers out, all happy and jolly. Earlier this year did it over several days rather than going up in one day. Really enjoyed it despite never sharing a lock. Go for it.

Was there on a friends boat for the IWA do.

I don't think we'll be in a hurry to take our own boat up, there even though there are two micropubs in Ilkeston.

And talking of pubs.............

The micropub by Sawley Locks looked interesting but wasn't open when I went through at 08:30.

At Trent Lock, the night before, the Steamboat had a much more interesting selection of beers available (details provided to beer geeks/tickers on request) than the other one, the Trent Lock.

We will happily welcome you to Langley Mill. The levels are good and the canal looks lovely this time of the year!

Go on do it..... You know you want to! 

And if you get up here see us at the yard for a navigation plaque, only 6 quid with all monies going to the Erewash canal society.

We also provide diy dry docking and diesel and pump out!

Dan

1 hour ago, pearley said:

What scuzzy bits? We've cruised to the end 3 times now. Never any trouble.  The first time was a hot bank holiday with lots of anglers out, all happy and jolly. Earlier this year did it over several days rather than going up in one day. Really enjoyed it despite never sharing a lock. Go for it.

To moor up in the lower stretches is inviting unsavoury locals. Clear half way and there's no issues. 

It's not as bad as the Etruria to Caldon first few miles though.

3 minutes ago, matty40s said:

To moor up in the lower stretches is inviting unsavoury locals. Clear half way and there's no issues. 

Theres nowt wrong wiv Long Eaton :ninja:

18 hours ago, matty40s said:

We left the boat at Long Eaton for a few hours to visit the Nationwide then stopped overnight at Sandiacre Lock. Next day was so wet we gave up after a short cruise and stopped just below Stanton Lock. Langley Mill for 2 nights then back down canal , stopping at Ilkeston for shops then moored just above Potters Lock on nice new rings. Next night was Padmore Moorings at Sandiacre followed by leaving the boat unattended again at Long Eaton for Tescos, Aldi and the Natiowide yet again. Final couple of nights above Trent Lock

No problems anywhere.

Edited to add that I've never been tempted to moor on the Hanley bit of the Caldon. A pity as there are an awful lot of new rings on that stretch.

Edited by pearley

We did the Erewash last September, admittedly up one day and back the next.  We thought it was a really nice trip, lots of good scenery, some interesting buildings along the way, and well worth the time.  I say go, and make up your own mind.

We've just spent a few days on the Caldon.  Although Hanley Park looks very neglected, there was a boat moored in the new housing development when we went up earlier in the week, and it was still there today so I guess they feel safe enough.  It certainly looks better than it did when we were last there in 2009.  We still made our first stop Engine Lock, though.

Try to visit the "Lock keepers Rest" just above Sawley lock on the left. It's a tiny pub in the old lock cottage next to the cafe. Excellent beer and great atmosphere. You'll need to check the opening times though, as it's not the usual pub hours. But do try to visit.

5 hours ago, adam1uk said:

We did the Erewash last September, admittedly up one day and back the next.  We thought it was a really nice trip, lots of good scenery, some interesting buildings along the way, and well worth the time.  I say go, and make up your own mind.

We've just spent a few days on the Caldon.  Although Hanley Park looks very neglected, there was a boat moored in the new housing development when we went up earlier in the week, and it was still there today so I guess they feel safe enough.  It certainly looks better than it did when we were last there in 2009.  We still made our first stop Engine Lock, though.

I was just about to make the same post myself, almost word for word! Must have just missed you today.  However, I actually left my boat last year for a few days at the top of the Erewash, in the Great Northern Basin, which must be one of the most grandiloquently misnamed waterways features on the whole system.

7 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I was just about to make the same post myself, almost word for word! Must have just missed you today.  However, I actually left my boat last year for a few days at the top of the Erewash, in the Great Northern Basin, which must be one of the most grandiloquently misnamed waterways features on the whole system.

We passed a Cygnet moored near Festival Park, and I wondered if that was you.

We also went to the IWA rally and enjoyed our time,though weed can be a problem. There is a water point at the Gt Northern basin

though a better description would be the small cluttered basin.!  Try the Bridge at Br 23 (good moorings round the corner) We

had an excellent rib eye steak there and they have many special offers;I think the Landlady's name is Chris

We rode our tandem up the Erewash this year having left the boat at Trent lock and came back down the Nottingham canal great trip. We avoided boating up the Erewash having had problems before in 2003. ( going in to long Eaton lock to cut a tyre off the blades was an interesting experience with no weed hatch and no shower on the boat and generally feeling vulnerable.)  I know the area my parents used to live in beeston.

we came across hoards of anglers and " characters" without exception friendly, helping us get the tandem over the anti motorbike devices and moving rods and tackle . I'm convinced engaging with locals assists greatly, probably looking old and poor helps too.

the canal buildings and area are fascinating and walking over to the derelict Nottingham canal gives some great perspectives. The basin is indeed friendly and we enjoyed the pub back in 2003.